exhaust manifold leak vs. hemi tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boomsquad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is that a cure, or does that just cover up the noise?I mean is the lifter bad and need replaced or is it just because the oil isn't building the correct pressure?

15bighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm not sure if this is a broken manifold bolt or something internal, I'm about 1k miles from a oil change, It only does it on cold start and goes away in a few seconds truck has 92k miles

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
I'm not sure if this is a broken manifold bolt or something internal, I'm about 1k miles from a oil change, It only does it on cold start and goes away in a few seconds truck has 92k miles

lifter bleed, get better lubrication AND filtration(check valve) in there ASAP before it turns into seizure.

15bighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
so I just went and looked at my manifold bolts and the passenger side up against firewall is broke

15bighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
what do you suggest I use tim I had the oil done at a shop so I'm not sure what they used

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
so I just went and looked at my manifold bolts and the passenger side up against firewall is broke

Good, now replace it before more break! Must not have seeped through the gasket as the valve-train will be heard much longer. 99 percent of the time the outer 4 bolts holding the heat shields go first.

I'm not going to promote any big dollar engine lube so grab a few adult beverages and check out the synth. oil thread. You definitely need to take more consideration in there than "Shop changes".

apollo24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok. New to Dodge and to forum(of course). I'm reading a lot about the tick vs lifter. I'm a fairly "handy" person when it comes to working on cars, but you guys seem pretty knowledgeable. How much does the manifold leak sound like bad lifter? I know this may be hard to explain thru text. My tick never goes away even after warm. Asking the people around me, they said lifter. But after listening to videos on here and YouTube I'm not sure. Are there any distinct differences between lifter noise and manifold leak? Thanks for any help.
Hey man was it the lifters I'm in your same exact boat my lifters will be covered by warranty but not an exhaust leak

Units

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Bighorn
Engine
6.7l Cummins
Hey man was it the lifters I'm in your same exact boat my lifters will be covered by warranty but not an exhaust leak
What year is your truck? I have a post on here about mine. 2022 6.4l, now at 9,000 miles been dealing with this since 4,000 miles. Lifters replaced but still ticks loud at start up. Have an appointment next week to have a Chrysler engineer look at my truck. Dealership cannot figure it out.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
When the engine is cold, reach in through the wheel wells and grab the corners of the heat shields that cover the exhaust manifolds. If the corners are loose, broken bolts you have.

If you short trip your Hemi, it will most likely clatter like hell on the next start. My '15 will do this every time I go to my inlaws house 1-1/2 blocks away. I will tap for a few seconds upon restart. EVERY TIME. 168K on her now.

Someone on this site said to hold the RPMs over 2k when turning it off. This seems to help, although I don't always remember to do it.

Check for loose heat shields first. Takes 30 seconds.

Last edited: