Exhaust Manifolds | Warped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daddyhas2boys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes...already installed...the hardest fitment was connecting the cross pipe into the y pipe but I used a hydraulic jack to push into place and clamp down, the other part was the oil dip stick was a lil tricky but it fits in between the pipes on the header...but well worth it...I have an audio clip but it won't let me load it

Daddyhas2boys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check you kustomblack motorsports on you tube and also lukes garage on a lot of ideas and advise on how to do it...if you have broken bolts my advise is using a center punch, 90 degree angle attachment with left handed drill bits and it that doesn't work use Dewalt drill bits with a craftsman extractor set...I ended up using the extractor set myself...see pics

20200417_201733.jpg

20200417_201745.jpg

20200417_201805.jpg

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
well, my passenger side is done. I don't know if I'll wait for the driver's side or just do it before something breaks. Probably the later so I don't have one snap in the head.

Flatblack79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine is starting at 86K miles. Thinking of going for shorty headers so i dont have to deal with tuning. Any input on BBK or JBA stuff? Looks like ARH doesnt do shortys anymore.

Thale51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine is starting at 86K miles. Thinking of going for shorty headers so i dont have to deal with tuning. Any input on BBK or JBA stuff? Looks like ARH doesnt do shortys anymore.

I'm in the same boat. I had 3 bolts replaced a little over a year ago under the powertrain warranty at around 78,000 miles. I'm at 96,000 now, out of the warranty period, and hearing the tick again. Anyone know what the average cost is for just the bolt/gasket replacement at a shop? Just curious to see what the average price is compared to just doing a shorty header swap.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
The stealership wanted $900 a side when I checked on it

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How about changing the bolts, and machining the exhaust manifolds before this broken bolts and ticking appear, I don't know how about a certain mileage you do the job and avoid broken bolts kind of like Preventative Maintenance.

HiddenFly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anything we can do to try to prevent this from happening? Re-torque the bolts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeff mitchner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any of you experience this in the 4.7 also. I got one doing the exact same thing.

Flatblack79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had to remove mine and resurface them over the weekend. Not a terrible job but certainly wasn't fun. Shouldnt be a problem again though.

Pickles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
This finally happened a few weeks ago to my truck. I think "no big deal", I'll just treat myself to an upgrade with a nice pair of shorty headers, spend a Saturday with a few beers and greasy hands.

Friday morning I get my truck in the garage. Get the manifolds off fine - I have 4 (out of 17) bolts sheared off flush with the head. Damn. A few hours of drilling, cussing and extracting later, I have 3 of the 4 bolt remnants out. I spend the next 5 hours trying to get bolt #4 out. Then 6 hours Saturday ... then 3 more hours Sunday.

All told, I broke 19 drill bits (from black oxide to cobolt), 5 extractors, and the grand finale was me finally drilling clean through the stuck bolt, not stopping the drill in time, and that spanking new, extra-sharp cobolt bit chewing through my head and into the coolant passage.

So I'll have it towed for a new head.....and to get those headers put on. Still waiting for an estimate on the head - any ideas how many top ramen meals my family is in for?

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Painfully hard to read someone drilled through to the coolant passage when welding a washer/nut on the end is the simple solution.

Hope it works out for you, if it’s through the backside you could try some JB weld in the head and high temp gasket maker on the bolt threads.

What do you have to lose but a little more time? Sorry

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
This finally happened a few weeks ago to my truck. I think "no big deal", I'll just treat myself to an upgrade with a nice pair of shorty headers, spend a Saturday with a few beers and greasy hands.

Friday morning I get my truck in the garage. Get the manifolds off fine - I have 4 (out of 17) bolts sheared off flush with the head. Damn. A few hours of drilling, cussing and extracting later, I have 3 of the 4 bolt remnants out. I spend the next 5 hours trying to get bolt #4 out. Then 6 hours Saturday ... then 3 more hours Sunday.

All told, I broke 19 drill bits (from black oxide to cobolt), 5 extractors, and the grand finale was me finally drilling clean through the stuck bolt, not stopping the drill in time, and that spanking new, extra-sharp cobolt bit chewing through my head and into the coolant passage.

So I'll have it towed for a new head.....and to get those headers put on. Still waiting for an estimate on the head - any ideas how many top ramen meals my family is in for?
I would tap to the next size. Put a stud with hi heat sealant on it and call it a day.

Pickles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Painfully hard to read someone drilled through to the coolant passage when welding a washer/nut on the end is the simple solution.

Hope it works out for you, if it’s through the backside you could try some JB weld in the head and high temp gasket maker on the bolt threads.

What do you have to lose but a little more time? Sorry
Well, as I know no one with a welding rig, and have zero welding experience myself, didn't seem like a great idea to "learn on the job".

Also, with as much as I did, I wonder if the damn thing wasn't cross-threaded from the factory. Cross-thread + loctite = I was screwed before I even knew it. The other bolts I extracted went just fine - this one never budged.

I've thought about trying to fill with RTV and a stud, but as I want this engine to last a good long while, I'm just going to go ahead and replace the head. I do enough with a very heavy trailer that while I would bet the RTV+stud would work, I want to KNOW it's going to work.

The quote is about $1,750 for a new head, all new hardware, and labor. Oh well - live and learn.

Tom8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2014 5.7 that had one side Of the exhaust bolt snapped when warranty went out. They fixed it under powertrain warranty. Then a few thousand miles later the opposite side broke. They fixed that under my powertrain warranty as well. 73k now and pretty good. I tow a lot and under a lot of heat stress and glad they snapped early and now the exhaust are all stressed in.
They should have just put in shorty to begin with. Cheap folks.

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
That's a nice thought, but I have serious doubts that Ram Cares will give a darn about my truck seeing as it's no longer under warranty and 10 years old. If it was 10 months old and not 10 years, maybe. I appreciate your input nonetheless though. So far the dealer hasn't given me any reason to be doubtful, so no reason to be concerned at this stage in the game. I've generally had very good luck with dealerships in my years of owning MOPARs. I've largely been very pleased with them across the board.
I called mopar and mine was covered powertran 2010 59,000 one was way worped .008 so dealer replace it have 100,000 drive train warrenty so payed 100.00 on my fix ? had fuel injectoer bad too ! glade my dealer did lots of work and running ok now !

Tom8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I called mopar and mine was covered powertran 2010 59,000 one was way worped .008 so dealer replace it have 100,000 drive train warrenty so payed 100.00 on my fix ? had fuel injectoer bad too ! glade my dealer did lots of work and running ok now !
Isn’t powertrain warranty 100k or 5 years? Glad you got it paid for.

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
on powertrain u can go for 7 years but guess cant get them to put a 6.1 cam it sadly ! i d have extra holes drill to oil lifters better too if u can !