External Diesel fuel tank in bed ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Within the next year or 2 - I will be doing some serious looking into adding a External fuel tank for the bed 15-25gal (preferably gravity fed into the factory fuel neck) with a reasonably easy set up to change a inline filter install.
I will install a manual block valve between the tank and filter to which will allow the only way to transfer fuel from the external tank to the main tank.

Just to give that extra piece of mind of not having to stop & re-fuel every 3-4 hours: Once we purchase our new 5th wheel & begin our camping adventures all over the state.

Looking more towards a taller / thinner tank to mount up against the front part of the bed.

If any of you have a similar set up already installed & don’t mind sharing your install ideas & thoughts they would much be appreciated.

I don’t know if the 2017 model year will allow for such a install into the filler neck without some major modifications.

Thanks

This is a similar install that I am interested in.
Although I would add a inline filter between the block valve & filller neck. I think I would install the filter just after the valve inside the bed to make replacement very fast/easy. Plus give easy inspection of the filter. Also lesson the chance of damage to the filter from being under the bed.

Filter ideas:

D58B47E3-F408-41F3-BF28-BC76C68B582D.jpeg

4FFAC619-1590-4B5F-BE5E-3CF0BADD8C24.jpeg

Last edited:

PNW-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
I've thought of doing something similar, but much larger. 25 gallons is only about 3 cubic feet - 100 gallons is 12 cubic feet. 12 CF is 2' x 6' x 1' and it would easily fit sideways across the bed. I go through California on occasion, and diesel is about $1/gallon more expensive.

I think I'm going to make a 100+ gallon tank with multiple outlets, each with its own ball valve. When the fuel light comes on, open the ball valve and allow another 20 gallons to gravity flow into the main tank. Never worry about overfilling, but have 4 refills onboard.

I get 500 miles to my 23 gallon tank, but I hate paying $4/gallon for fuel.

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I'm planning on having a custom "L" tank made to fit under my toolbox. Difference is, I don't want it sitting on the floor of the bed blocking off the length of the bed. I'm thinking of having two 8" "I" or "C" rails on each end to support the tank, giving me room to slide long lumber, poles, whatever, under the tank. I'm thinking of the vertical part of the L to be about 4" thick and come to maybe about an inch under the tool box lid so there's no interference with the lid. The tank will be bed rail to bed rail wide. Fill cap on the driver's side, 2" **** on the passenger side for a pump. Finally, a couple of ports on the driver's side of the tank so I can put a line down to a fuel selector valve. Yes, I'll give up some capacity since the tank won't go to the floor, but I'd rather have at least a little bit of my 8' bed fully available.

Just a note, folks... I don't think gravity fills are DOT legal. If you forget to turn off the fuel, you can easily over-fill and overflow the main tank. They are inexpensive and handy, but I'm not sure they are kosher... Maybe if you had an electric normally closed valve, so you had to hold your finger on a button to open it. I'm going with an electric valve so I can simply switch between main and aux tanks.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Within the next year or 2 - I will be doing some serious looking into adding a External fuel tank for the bed 15-25gal (preferably gravity fed into the factory fuel neck) with a reasonably easy set up to change a inline filter install.
http://titanfueltanks.com/titan-sidekick-15-gal-portable-liquid-tank-5040015
Titan doesn't offer an oversized midship tank for the CCSB truck.

I'm planning on having a custom "L" tank made to fit under my toolbox. Difference is, I don't want it sitting on the floor of the bed blocking off the length of the bed.
Have you looked into swapping your tank with a Titan? My buddy has one for his 2500. He says he gets 500+ miles of range towing his fiver.
http://titanfueltanks.com/dodge-crew-cab-long-bed-super-series-2003-2012-7030303

OP
OP
SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Thanks Crash for sharing those 2 ideas.
I’m still gathering information on this project as we speak.

I’m still a huge fan of the gravity feed, due to I know more then a handful of other owners/campers whom use this setup with Zero issues. Main things (in my mind) are secure mounting/good filtering system/using top quality valve & hoses with no leaks!

Also proper care of the diesel fuel that is stored in the external tank.
Reason for only focusing on a 15-25 gal tank is weight.

I’m still Maybe a year out from starting this project so I’m always listening & gathering more ideas & info.

Thanks again.

Still pondering the small thought in my head of purchasing 3-5gallon diesel containers, such as the yellow plastic ones and just keep in the back bed of the truck with some type of tie down system.
When the time comes pull over and add them to the tank pretty simple and straightforward

Last edited:

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Have you looked into swapping your tank with a Titan? My buddy has one for his 2500. He says he gets 500+ miles of range towing his fiver.
http://titanfueltanks.com/dodge-crew-cab-long-bed-super-series-2003-2012-7030303

I have considered the Titan, it looks like a nice replacement tank, plus all the standard electronics work with it. Just the "miles to empty" is totally off the whack! LOL I'm going for the bed-mounted tank since I have to occasionally fuel up generators and other equipment. I can't easily refuel external equipment from the Titan. And while my smaller bed-mounted tank design isn't going to supply a lot of fuel for that equipment, it's better for me than carrying around a bunch of 5-gallon jugs. If I need to do massive refueling, I have a 500-gallon tank on a trailer.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My old 3500 I had a reverse L tank made out of aluminum that pumped about 70 gallons to fit under my roll lock and still managed to install a 5th wheel hitch and have a bed extender work all in a short box. Wish I had pictures. It was a pretty nice set up. Guy i work with has a 17 power wagon with an aux tank in the bed that feeds the main tank so i know it works on newer trucks.

ramcumminssix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Look at the in-bed Auxiliary tanks from Titan. They transfer with a press of a button and has a filter and everything else you need.

u2slow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6BTA
Much, much rather have a larger or extra tank under the truck. Felt that way ever since I put a K5 Blazer tank in a chevy crewcab.

Use a tank switching valve, or rig it to press up the primary tank.