Fix a flat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean McGillicuddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have this annoying slow leak that falls under we can't fix that crap!
I have to add 10lbs daily less on warmer days..
we do not want to buy a new tire.... we want to run these crap tires untill we can get new ones in the spring..
Would fix a flat kind of fix that slowww leak ?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have had success in the past with it. A hard maybe.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
There's no such thing as a leak that can't be found. Fix-a-flat is not for long term use. It's also a headache for anyone who ever has to work on that tire/rim in the future. It makes a real mess, and I won't use it unless it's an emergency situation. If you aren't getting answers from the tire shop you took it to, take it to another tire shop. 10 lb/per day leak is not too slow for a competent tire man to locate.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Where is the leak coming from, I know a lot of shops wont touch it if its in the sidewall or near the outer edges of the tread. They can be fixed trust me. Its just finding a shop that will and basically you have to say there is no warranty and they are responsible for a blow out. I personally wouldn't put slime or fix a flat in it.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Could be a leaky valve stem too, fix a flat won't help that, but should be a fast cheap fix for any tire place even a chain store.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Could be a leaky valve stem too, fix a flat won't help that, but should be a fast cheap fix for any tire place even a chain store.
You're right about the valve stem.
Reputable tire shops don't use fix-a-flat. I haven't ever seen one that does, and I'd stay away from any that do. Like I already said, fix-a-flat isn't intended to be a permanent fix. The instructions even say this...
Fix a flat.JPG

Tripper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i've used fix a flat on all sorts of tires with no problem. If you just want to run it for a few thousand miles I see no issue.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You're right about the valve stem.
Reputable tire shops don't use fix-a-flat. I haven't ever seen one that does, and I'd stay away from any that do. Like I already said, fix-a-flat isn't intended to be a permanent fix. The instructions even say this...
View attachment 478184
Just to clarify, I meant replacing the valve stem should be a cheap and quick repair that any tire shop can perform. If that's the problem of course.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Warm water & soap is what a good tire shop will use to see the bubbles
& then the leak is easy to find

The leak must be in the tread of the tire, or the valve stem/ TPMS valve

Tire shops get really irritated with emergency tire sealant, but some times a quick fix is needed.
When was the last time that a tire shop aired up your spare tire

Auto manufacturers are beginning to delete the spare tire & just put a patch kit & a cheap air compressor in the vehicle

drakon543

Reaction score
find someone who has a small pool and put the whole tire in to find the leak. big one for me most tire shops tend to not try to fix is the rims sealing surface. as it generally requires running some kind of abrasive across it which will fix the leak but will also remove more of your rims coating.

stomp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Mine ended up being a cracked rim. Also fix-a-flat can screw with the TPM.

fulltimerart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Make sure you replace the valve cap too. Have they checked the entire rim too, I have heard of a porous spot in the metal. Just my 2 cent. Art

Scott0700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you do go the fix a flat route be sure to tell anyone that works on it in the future. It can create an explosion hazard.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you have to add 10 lbs /day, that is not a slow leak. Find a real tire shop . someone don't know what hell they are doing

redvetram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6 3.7
I’d be interested in knowing why they say it can’t be fixed. Like others mentioned, maybe take it to another shop. I’ve had “slow leaks” before, but we’re talking having to add 10#/month, not daily. I guess if your tread is really good and the tire is otherwise structurally sound, the other option is to have them put in an inner tube. I’ve done this with all my ATV tires that develop slow leaks but still have decent tread. I get an extra year or two out of them. Don’t know if the added weight of the tube changes the balance or driveability of a full size truck running hwy speeds, but worth checking.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Another vote no for fix a flat gunk. Good to get you out of trouble if no other option, but it is short term fix with potential long term problems. A reputable tire shop will find the leak. Good luck