Flip down rear seats done!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swanny297

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Torque those bolts back down to the proper torque - you don't want to mess with seat anchor bolts ....

JLindsay32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I saw this and thought "Easy Enough." Well I tried it today with no success and finally called it a day on it. :bang head:

First I tried to put the 3/4 hex bolts underneath to raise the seat, and it wasn't enough clearance for the metal hooks. So i pulled those out and decided I would just cut the hooks where it looked like it would clear...

C0A43A88-DC08-410A-96D1-BE742FC7A798.jpg

It looked to be right above where the plastic goes across, so I cut it there which was about an inch or so, and after bolting the seats back on, it still didn't clear.

I'm thinking I might try to put the hex bolts back underneath which should be enough clearance, just hopefully not too much. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Omicron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you doing all 4 seat bolts, front and rear, on each seat? Something's got to be off here... not sure what, but dozens of people have done this with all model years and they all worked but yours. Maybe you've got mutant seat hooks? Dunno. How much too short are you of clearing with the cut hooks?

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Are you raising the seat bottom up when you are trying to tilt the seat back. Because I didn't even use the ¾" of spacers. As you raise the seat bottom up, gently pull on the seat back. There is a sweet spot. It's not all the way up.

Omicron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good point. It's locked over the hook in all but that sweet spot, when the seat bottom is around 45-ish degree angle.

JLindsay32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I did all four, I'm not sure how short I am because I can't see back there while they are up, but it's pretty firmly hooked. I'm thinking it can't be too much though... I may go pick up 4 washers for each so that I can adjust if need be.

Edit: Yes I am lifting the bottom of the seat, I tried at about every angle I could.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
When you cut the hooks you will possibly get the plastic anti-rattle lining to break off when hooking and unhooking the seat.
I recommend getting some FiberFix from your local hardware store and creating a new anti-rattle lining with it by wrapping it around the hook or the ring on the back wall...or both. It will be a tough long lasting repair.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yeah I did all four, I'm not sure how short I am because I can't see back there while they are up, but it's pretty firmly hooked. I'm thinking it can't be too much though... I may go pick up 4 washers for each so that I can adjust if need be.

Edit: Yes I am lifting the bottom of the seat, I tried at about every angle I could.

I cut my hooks because at 6'5" I don't give up headroom....EVER. Mine release when the seat bottom is about 5" from touching the seat back and I tug a little on the seat back.

JLindsay32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I cut my hooks because at 6'5" I don't give up headroom....EVER. Mine release when the seat bottom is about 5" from touching the seat back and I tug a little on the seat back.

Do you mind showing a picture of the hooks, and/or measuring them, maybe a picture with a ruler/tape measure? I rarely sit in the back, but I'd prefer to keep the headroom as well. I just don't want to cut them too short and be SOL.

Thanks!

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Do you mind showing a picture of the hooks, and/or measuring them, maybe a picture with a ruler/tape measure? I rarely sit in the back, but I'd prefer to keep the headroom as well. I just don't want to cut them too short and be SOL.

Thanks!
Will post a pic tomorrow, or rather later today after I wake up and take one.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I think the bolts I used are not tall enough either because mine won't fold flat either.

I used 7/8 since lowes didnt have anything bigger with enough quantity.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

Thanks!
20140710_102235_zps2zleezdi.jpg

jimh4662

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RAM Laramie Longhorn C.C. Delmonico Red PearlCoat
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Flip down seats.

I modified my 2008 quad cab by turning rear seat lock it bracket around. Loosen an remove seat bolts. Pull bottom up and it pulls up out of the rear bracket. When reinstalled after tuning bracket over the seat would still lock when down, preventing seat to move forward in crash. The turning of the bracket was a little shorter allowing it to still catch but shorter when you lift up bottom releasing the rear seat in the bracket. If the seat is the same name to 2014 I will do the mods later.. Hope it helps.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
When I did mine I had to use a 3/4" spacer, and cut the hooks. I also used a piece of particle board for the spacer, and painted it black. I didn't like the idea of only loading the sheet metal right around the bolts in compression from the seat above as it could cause sagging with load over time.

I have a quad cab w/ split folding rear bench. Mine could have required both things since it is a quad cab...? I wrote a write up in the DIY section I think that included bolt spacing etc. if you wanted to cut/machine spacers. I was going to do aluminum but decided it was too much work.

James_in_Utah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So, I've had this 2011 1500 QC for about a month. I always thought it was strange the rear seat didn't tilt forward, and I didn't like the rear head rests because they really limit visibility. Just removed the headrests. Much better. Is the space behind the seats big enough to store the head rests? So why are there little straps the look like the are intended to release the back seats? I have the split bench in back, and each side has what appears to be a release strap, but of course it doesn't release the seats. I will be doing this soon.