foglights or high beams...not both?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rzims

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I'm not sure if it's a setting I can adjust but haven't found yet...I have looked...
When my foglights are on and I turn on the high beams, the foglights go off.

Is there not a way I can have both on? At night up on the property, I'd like as much light as possible...

Thanks in advance.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That’s normal, but you can use the AlfaOBD to program them to stay on with high beams.

I’ve got it done it to my truck.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
With alfaobd you can set fogs on with highbeam. Or a possible cheaper solution, I think retroshop may sell an harness that achieves the same outcome

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

bluebeast1562

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You could always install aftermarket LED lights for the grill, run a switch to the cab, heck of a lot brighter than fogs.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Most US states and Canadian provinces have a law that says you may not have more than 4 forward facing white lights active on a vehicle at the same time. That's the reason behind the "feature" being set that way with no option to change it on the truck's menus.

That said, AlphaOBD can indeed change this behavior. Do so at your own risk, a LEO could ticket you for it, but unless you've done something else to attract his/her attention (or you're in California) it's not likely that you'd be stopped for it.

To change it, you would want the setting below:

CBC Features Configuration:
Front Fog Lamp Dropout Enable: Not set

-K

Last edited:
OP
OP
rzims

rzims

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the feedback. Didn't know about the law so that's interesting.
Mainly want more light for when I'm up in the hills on my property so law isn't really an issue.
Although, the aftermarket LEDs might be a better option providing more light

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Most US states and Canadian provinces have a law that says you may not have more than 4 forward facing white lights active on a vehicle at the same time. That's the reason behind the "feature" being set that way with no option to change it on the truck's menus.

That said, AlphaOBD can indeed change this behavior. Do so at your own risk, a LEO could ticket you for it, but unless you've done something else to attract his/her attention (or you're in California) it's not likely that you'd be stopped for it.

To change it, you would want the setting below:

CBC Features Configuration:
Front Fog Lamp Dropout Enable: Not set

-K

What's this AlphaOBD that you're talking about. I would like to learn more about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins

bluebeast1562

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the feedback. Didn't know about the law so that's interesting.
Mainly want more light for when I'm up in the hills on my property so law isn't really an issue.

On my 4th Gen, 2013 I installed a set of LED lights, OPT7 8" light system and duel light harness kit from Amazon, looks, by my past orders, they were less than 100.00. Install was simple after getting the grill off, extremely bright. Never had issues with LEO.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Law schmah......
Led tow hook pods
Led fogs
Led behind the grill led pods
Led lows

20180714_050900.jpg

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With alfaobd you can set fogs on with highbeam. Or a possible cheaper solution, I think retroshop may sell an harness that achieves the same outcome

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

Since I’m not interested in that Alpha thing, I’d be more interested in this retroshop cable.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Reminds me of people who load up the car with people and load up the trunk and the car sags so much it blinds oncoming drivers even with their low beams on.

When my lights are not powerful enough for a location I slow down so as not to overdrive the headlights - what a concept!

kbrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ZippoLove

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Lol...ya, but I could see!!!
Driving EITHER direction!!

View attachment 193588

I'm assuming you have a backup cam in the tailgate. Does all that light wash the screen out? I put in LED reverse lights which are great and am putting an OPT7 Tailgate LED bar this week. I think it will be ok. Most people have complained about bright license plate lights washing the camera out so I've decided not to do those.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm assuming you have a backup cam in the tailgate. Does all that light wash the screen out? I put in LED reverse lights which are great and am putting an OPT7 Tailgate LED bar this week. I think it will be ok. Most people have complained about bright license plate lights washing the camera out so I've decided not to do those.

Led plate and opt-7 reverse dont wash out camera on mine. Makes it sooo much better to see

m25443

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since I’m not interested in that Alpha thing, I’d be more interested in this retroshop cable.

You can do all sorts of things with AlfaOBD. Maybe reconsider getting.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can do all sorts of things with AlfaOBD. Maybe reconsider getting.

I know you can but I don’t really feel there’s all that much for me to change to justify spending the money on one, and on the security bypass cable thing I’d need which I’ve heard two conflicting stories on whether or not you can or can’t leave that security bypass module bypassed to where it would or wouldn’t let Chrysler’s computer talk to the computer in the truck if it was bypassed; and, if that module is truly behind the big 8.4 radio, even though it should hardly ever happen at but if it ever did, I really wouldn’t want to have to rip the dash apart just to plug the bypass module back in, just to have to rip it all apart again... when I get home to commence using my new changed settings.