For those with whine that follows engine RPM..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
For those who experience a whine on acceleration and in all gears, check the seal around your air box from where it connects to the fender. While doing a tune up on my 2013 1500 (coil boot broke off inside the engine, love my luck lol), i took off the air box and noticed a relatively big gap from the fender itself to the air box, which from what i assume created a whistle on acceleration. I don’t know if this is 100% the cause of the whistle i have in particular, but i had the following symptoms:

At 30-35 MPH Low to Medium whistling coming from strictly the right side of the truck

Whistling at 1.5-2K RPM on Light acceleration

Whistling when decelerating.

Hope this helps anyone experiencing this, i have to wait until around Sunday to complete my tune up and then i’ll follow up with results. Good luck and good morning to all :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The only whine I get on accelerating is usually.......
"Honey, stop that. You're going too fast, there is probably a popo"......

Sorry Ender, I had to do it...lol

As far as your post I HAVE noticed on my earlier truck the plastic air tube was loose fitting against the fender seal. Kind of a crappy design of the fender to airbox tube. I wasnt happy with the seal so did some creative home depot shopping to find some thick weatherstripping so the tube actually compressed the seal with minimal gaps.
I never had a whistle/whine just thought it needed my attention
Edit add,.... I dont like the way the tube just pops into the aibox with the little nubs either but couldnt come up with a solution so left it alone

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For those who experience a whine on acceleration and in all gears, check the seal around your air box from where it connects to the fender. While doing a tune up on my 2013 1500 (coil boot broke off inside the engine, love my luck lol), i took off the air box and noticed a relatively big gap from the fender itself to the air box, which from what i assume created a whistle on acceleration. I don’t know if this is 100% the cause of the whistle i have in particular, but i had the following symptoms:

At 30-35 MPH Low to Medium whistling coming from strictly the right side of the truck

Whistling at 1.5-2K RPM on Light acceleration

Whistling when decelerating.

Hope this helps anyone experiencing this, i have to wait until around Sunday to complete my tune up and then i’ll follow up with results. Good luck and good morning to all :)

Just looked for a pic but this is as close as I have.
Added I THINK? a 1/4 " to the tube flange so it would hit and seal to the oem seal.

Screenshot_20200625-070517_Photos.jpg

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine is my A/C compressor. But its OK! My dealer says its normal.

Good thing it fixed itself because it must have been broken when it was silent for the first 2 years :)

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8

Good thing it fixed itself because it must have been broken when it was silent for the first 2 years :)

Yeah i’m pretty sure mine is atleast half my A/C compressor, it likes to KICK on when i turn it on so that leaves me speculating.

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
The only whine I get on accelerating is usually.......
"Honey, stop that. You're going too fast, there is probably a popo"......

Sorry Ender, I had to do it...lol

As far as your post I HAVE noticed on my earlier truck the plastic air tube was loose fitting against the fender seal. Kind of a crappy design of the fender to airbox tube. I wasnt happy with the seal so did some creative home depot shopping to find some thick weatherstripping so the tube actually compressed the seal with minimal gaps.
I never had a whistle/whine just thought it needed my attention
Edit add,.... I dont like the way the tube just pops into the aibox with the little nubs either but couldnt come up with a solution so left it alone

LMAO

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah i’m pretty sure mine is atleast half my A/C compressor, it likes to KICK on when i turn it on so that leaves me speculating.

Mine is very evident in parking type situations...low rpm, low speed so not much noise, etc.

I have a couple YouTube videos of it where you can actually hear it. Easy to diagnose, just hear it then turn off the climate control and the noise goes away instantly.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Mine is very evident in parking type situations...low rpm, low speed so not much noise, etc.

I have a couple YouTube videos of it where you can actually hear it. Easy to diagnose, just hear it then turn off the climate control and the noise goes away instantly.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Mine stays on constantly, which is what i’m equating the gap in the air box to, but same. Sometimes i can’t hear it, others it’s as loud as a supercharger, If i get the air box “fixed” and it’s still there i’ll be suspecting something on the pulleys, which would be the A/C compressor. Mine is strange to say the least, as it whines mainly in 1st gear during a slow acceleration, but it comes and goes like a rear differential type low high pitched howl even though it doesn’t make much sense as it’s following the RPMs. If that makes sense. Could i see one of these videos?

fijicorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

My compressor is noisy as hell too...seems like it's a common thing but doesn't really cause performance issues. Mine has been that way for almost three years now. It's rather annoying in low speed situations

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
My compressor is noisy as hell too...seems like it's a common thing but doesn't really cause performance issues. Mine has been that way for almost three years now. It's rather annoying in low speed situations

Exactly this...makes me think the transmission has shat the bed..

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A/C compressor whine is not normal.

I concur.

But try getting a dealer to admit that. And even then, Im not sure I want them replacing the compressor (if/when they screw it up, then what?)

Truck has MaxCare Lifetime so Ill live with it until it becomes a real issue. So far it still cools fine, I kinda sorta wonder if its a bit low on freon and causing the issue, but my dealer swears they checked the pressures.

EDIT: on top of that, with the whole Covid thing, Im not quite sure how a service appointment would work at this point. I sure as hell dont want to sit in their cramped waiting room for hours.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I concur.

But try getting a dealer to admit that. And even then, Im not sure I want them replacing the compressor (if/when they screw it up, then what?)

Truck has MaxCare Lifetime so Ill live with it until it becomes a real issue. So far it still cools fine, I kinda sorta wonder if its a bit low on freon and causing the issue, but my dealer swears they checked the pressures.

EDIT: on top of that, with the whole Covid thing, Im not quite sure how a service appointment would work at this point. I sure as hell dont want to sit in their cramped waiting room for hours.

The dealer here will come and drive your vehicle to the shop, fix it, and drive it back to you.

Mark2011hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I recommend going to your local parts place and buying a 40$ stethescope and listen to your pulleys. Get a buddy to rev the motor slighly if need be . Put scope on areas of metal that arnt rotating and see if you hear the noise threw the scope. Helps eliminate idler pulleys or tentioners or alternators. Just be careful you dont get smacked by your clutch fan