Fording Depth on a 2015 Ram 1500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rvaj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 6.2L
Does anyone know the safe fording depth on a 2015 Ram 1500 quad cab with a leveling kit? I am in an area where I am forced to go through standing water and I need to know what I can do safely. I have seen the TRX rated at 32", and some Jeeps at 30" stock, but I can't find anything on my truck. If you could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The owners' manual on my 2015 Ram 1500 4x4 states that you shouldn't drive through water deeper than the height of your tire sidewalls:

dingdamn.jpg

We all know that's some **** but it's the official statement about the vehicle from the manufacturer.

I don't know what the real limit is, I'd feel comfortable at 2 feet personally. Remember that technique is as important as measurement - if what you're doing would look awesome on the cover of a magazine it's probably the dumbest possible thing you could be doing, a good water crossing will look pretty boring.

crossing.png

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If you go in deeper than axle height you better plan on draining and flushing those differentials. Water trapped in axle housings cause bad things to happen.
I never bothered looking under my truck but my old Jeep Grand Cherokee had vent hoses that were mounted higher up on the frame. Thats where water would get into the diffs.

OP
OP
rvaj

rvaj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 6.2L
Thanks, this is all good info. I'm a little surprised the warning in the owner's manual is so lame. If you can't drive it through more than a couple of inches of water, it's not a truck, it is a toy. This will give you an idea of what I need to be prepared to drive through from time to time. The Fords, Chevys, and Jeeps weren't having any problems.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I never bothered looking under my truck but my old Jeep Grand Cherokee had vent hoses that were mounted higher up on the frame. Thats where water would get into the diffs.

Ideally, yes, and I was aware, but i wouldn't bank on it or risk it unless your sure...and the clamps holding those hoses on are tight.

I've seen it happen even with the diff vent hoses mounted up higher. Water still got in.

Those trucks also had big lift kits and big tires on them. Much more so than just a leveling kit. You may wind up with water in the cab.

I would not attempt that in my stock height, stock tire 2500, but that's just me.

Could I make it? Probably, but it'd be sketchy and my 2500 is significantly taller than a 1500

Just my thoughts. Please post a video if you go for it. Good luck.

Last edited:

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Manual, what manual? Lol.
Op, know where your diff breathers are, trans/tc breathers etc. They should be higher than your door seams if they arent relocate them higher. Super easy to do with fuel or trans hose and couple of plastic fittings if it was needed. Little bigger tires help too. The stock 1500 application is hindered by the front bumper and car like tire thread and sidewalls + factory heigth suspension. Get a little lift, some 35's, high clearance bumper and you will surprised how many places you can go with the truck.

OP
OP
rvaj

rvaj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 6.2L
Ideally, yes, and I was aware, but i wouldn't bank on it or risk it unless your sure...and the clamps holding those hoses on are tight.

I've seen it happen even with the diff vent hoses mounted up higher. Water still got in.

Those trucks also had big lift kits and big tires on them. Much more so than just a leveling kit. You may wind up with water in the cab.

I would not attempt that in my stock height, stock tire 2500, but that's just me.

Could I make it? Probably, but it'd be sketchy and my 2500 is significantly taller than a 1500

Just my thoughts. Please post a video if you go for it. Good luck.

Thanks. It's taller than stock with Falken 285/65/20s and Bilstein 5100s. Made it through with no problems but I need to do it again this weekend:

OP
OP
rvaj

rvaj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 6.2L
Manual, what manual? Lol.
Op, know where your diff breathers are, trans/tc breathers etc. They should be higher than your door seams if they arent relocate them higher. Super easy to do with fuel or trans hose and couple of plastic fittings if it was needed. Little bigger tires help too. The stock 1500 application is hindered by the front bumper and car like tire thread and sidewalls + factory heigth suspension. Get a little lift, some 35's, high clearance bumper and you will surprised how many places you can go with the truck.

Thanks. It's a couple inches higher than stock with 285/65/20s, Bilstein 5100s. I'll take a look at the breathers.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'd like to find out the same info on my 2015 2500 Cummins. I did the vents for the auto trans, front and rear diffs I never got to the transfer case.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks, this is all good info. I'm a little surprised the warning in the owner's manual is so lame. If you can't drive it through more than a couple of inches of water, it's not a truck, it is a toy. This will give you an idea of what I need to be prepared to drive through from time to time. The Fords, Chevys, and Jeeps weren't having any problems.

It's probably because people die trying to go through water deeper than that.
There's a lot of stupid people out there that try driving through flooded areas and die every year. So, to cover their behind they state the sidewall rule as max depth.

Six inches of water will reach the bottom of most passenger cars causing loss of control and possible stalling.
* A foot of water will float many vehicles.
* Two feet of rushing water can carry away most vehicles including sport utility vehicles (SUV’s) and pick-ups.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was just under my truck the other day for something and I think I was looking at the front axle vent and was surprised how low it was.

Bottom line, just check your fluids if you're suspect of anything. Find water? Extend the vent and repeat.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You may well get through, and you may think that you have no problems. In a month or two, you will know if water got into any of the driveline parts where it doesn't belong. That's when the fun starts.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you go in deeper than axle height you better plan on draining and flushing those differentials. Water trapped in axle housings cause bad things to happen.
Tell that to the Jeepers that find out too late why they need their axles 100% water sealed, think they call it "milkshake." lol

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wouldn't want your axles sealed. When you dunk a hot axle in cold water the air inside it shrinks and it's going to draw in water past the oil seals. Raise the vents above the anticipated water line for best outcome, or go a step further and pressurize your gearboxes like military and commercial vehicles whose intended operation includes submersion.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Wouldn't want your axles sealed. When you dunk a hot axle in cold water the air inside it shrinks and it's going to draw in water past the oil seals. Raise the vents above the anticipated water line for best outcome, or go a step further and pressurize your gearboxes like military and commercial vehicles whose intended operation includes submersion.
Best advice on this thread. If you regularly want to ford deeper water, then there are a number of steps you need to take to prepare, and you need to do at least weekly maintenance in terms of checking diffs, transmission, transfer case etc to offset that type of use. Pickups were not made to do water crossing above the bottom of the Diff, as a regualr or routine useage.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There are many vehicles out there designed for this type of severe abuse. Our 1500'a aint one of them if you want to play U-boat Commander. Aside from the differentials taking on water, just think of all the electrical connections at that level, too.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd be more worried about wheel hub/bearing assemblies and front diff intermediate shaft (and bearings) taking on water ....and fine silt (which usually comes with flooded or flowing water). And water which gets into the 'pumpkin' is going to turn to a foamy milkshake as mentioned above.

If ya let it sit over a long weekend it should settle out and a guy can often drain most of the settled water out of the vehicles that have bottom drain plugs (like Toyotas) and I some front diffs. Or take a suction gun with a small flexible hose and draw off the diff bottom. Ya probably won't get it all though.