Friend put fuel additive in DEF tank.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
OMG, they charged him that much. Yikes, surely they could have done something to remedy this issue for less than that.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
Just an FYI, I have drained several old cars of stale gas by connecting my spare 12vdc electric fuel pump---I think it was like $12 from Amazon---to the stock line thru a piece of rubber hose and into a bucket. I had no issues with cutting the stock metal fuel lines on those cars to splice in a piece of hose. but I do not know if the DEF lines are high pressure in which case I wouldn't do that. Just a suggestion.
NOTE: Distilled water is $0.80/Gallon at Walmart around here, good enough for my wife's CPAP (she'd let know if otherwise, har!) and my old golf cart batteries.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I did the same thing, long story, never do a dual additive at the same time!! Now I use a blue funnel to be extra sure.
Didn't start it.
Took the fill tube off the tank, syphoned off the def. Loosened the pump, drain and filled with 1 jug. repeat 2X. Helluva mess, but $21 vs $1300. What a friggin' rip off!

This guy does 1 of the 3 times I did.
Note: I was going to use Distilled water, but I was worried about the DEF quality error coming on. I use wally world DEF and check it every time with a $20 amazon Refractometer and it is just as good as the $$$ DEF

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
For that amount of money, they would have had to drop the tank & flush
Drop the rest of the plumbing to the exhaust system & flush,

It is not like DEF ever enters the fuel lines
It goes directly to the exhaust system

For the price they charged, you would think that a contaminant was put into the fuel system & then driven until the dash board lit up

1500 ecodiesel

2dYRhC.jpg

1VzNlr.jpg

lLxBc8.jpg
DEF tank is under the cab

Last edited: