Friend put fuel additive in DEF tank.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NorthwestGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
It really is my friend that did it. I would cop to it if it was me. Anyway he's 80 years old so we need to cut him some slack. He put a can of fuel additive in his DEF tank after he got home from a fill up and hasn't restarted it since. Its a 2014 3500 6.7. Is there a drain plug or an easy way to siphon pump that back out of there?

OP
OP
NorthwestGuy

NorthwestGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
Thanks. That looks pretty simple to get in there and pump that stuff out. The only problem I see is not being able to get every drop out so I think I'll bring 5 gallons to put in after I drain it to dilute anything thats left and then pump that out too. Then fill it up one more time with fresh fluid.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Use distilled water to flush out the tank. Then maybe flush the tank with maybe a gallon of DEF before filling it up with 5 gallons. You can buy 2.5 gallons of distilled water at the grocery store for about the same price of a gallon of DEF "at the pump" (about $3).

OP
OP
NorthwestGuy

NorthwestGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
Use distilled water to flush out the tank. Then maybe flush the tank with maybe a gallon of DEF before filling it up with 5 gallons. You can buy 2.5 gallons of distilled water at the grocery store for about the same price of a gallon of DEF "at the pump" (about $3).
Well, i'm not as concerned about the price of DEF as I am about further contaminating the tank. Are you sure that distilled water is safe?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well, i'm not as concerned about the price of DEF as I am about further contaminating the tank. Are you sure that distilled water is safe?

Do Not put distilled water in there. That is just one more thing you will need to get out. Wal Mart DEF is like $8 for 2 1/2 gallons, just use that once or twice to fill and pump out to get everything out of there.
And tell him not to start or drive the truck until you can flush it out. It's not as bad as contaminating the fuel but you can still run into issues

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Considering that DEF is comprised of 67.5% deionized water and 32.5% Urea. Distilled water is close enough to deionized for flushing purposes Then use a gallon or two of DEF to "flush" the tank of the distilled water before filling up the tank to run it.
Depending on what kind fuel additive he poured into the tank, it probably contains some form of petroleum which might take a bit to flush the tank clean.

OP
OP
NorthwestGuy

NorthwestGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
Considering that DEF is comprised of 67.5% deionized water and 32.5% Urea. Distilled water is close enough to deionized for flushing purposes Then use a gallon or two of DEF to "flush" the tank of the distilled water before filling up the tank to run it.
Depending on what kind fuel additive he poured into the tank, it probably contains some form of petroleum which might take a bit to flush the tank clean.
Thanks but I don't think I'm going to chance it. Another thing is just because a jug says distilled water doesn't means thats what it is. All bottled water looks the same. lI'll pay for the extra DEF to flush with. I appreciate the input though.

OP
OP
NorthwestGuy

NorthwestGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
Do Not put distilled water in there. That is just one more thing you will need to get out. Wal Mart DEF is like $8 for 2 1/2 gallons, just use that once or twice to fill and pump out to get everything out of there.
And tell him not to start or drive the truck until you can flush it out. It's not as bad as contaminating the fuel but you can still run into issues

Thats what I'm going to do. Thanks.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Thanks but I don't think I'm going to chance it. Another thing is just because a jug says distilled water doesn't means thats what it is. All bottled water looks the same. lI'll pay for the extra DEF to flush with. I appreciate the input though.

I use a CPAP and have bought just about every store brand of distilled water and it all was distilled water. There is no money to be made counterfeiting distilled water with tap water if bought from a normal retail establishment.

OP
OP
NorthwestGuy

NorthwestGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
I use a CPAP and have bought just about every store brand of distilled water and it all was distilled water. There is no money to be made counterfeiting distilled water with tap water if bought from a normal retail establishment.
That may be, but I see no need to use it except to save a few bucks and that is not my priority here. Just curious though, how would you ever have known if some company that sells different types of water accidentally mislabeled one jug of drinking water out of all those you have bought?

Last edited:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Keep us up to date with the end results - be it positive or negative!

I'm thinking in my head: If you get as much as you can out with the method Marion used & do a decent flush with DEF this issue will be resolved.
I honestly don't know the best method!

I will say this with no disrespect too your friend.
I am in no way shape or form judging your friends state of mind!

I showed this post to my son & explained to him if I (myself) ever start doing things like this.
I will have NO problems with you telling me you want my keys.
Just to protect others & myself.

God Bless your friend!

IMG_20181204_075521.jpg

This is what I did just to help keep this from happening.
especially if the wife or kids are ask to take the JUDGE and get diesel.

My thoughts after I did this: If I still struggle putting either product in their proper spots: I have no business driving.

Mind You: These thoughts are only about myself & my current state of mind @ that time! Not Others!

Last edited:

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
That may be, but I see no need to use it except to save a few bucks and that is not my priority here. Just curious though, how would you ever have known if some company that sells different types of water accidentally mislabeled one jug of drinking water out of all those you have bought?

For the record, I am neutral on the point of using Distilled water in flushing a DEF system.

Secondly, as a CPAP user of distilled water, I have on rare occasion in a pinch used both tap and bottled regular non distilled water in my CPAP machine. With non distilled water, it is readily apparent it is not distilled water when you breath in the water vapor as it has a varying metallic iron smell and after taste left in ones throat and nasal passages. Distilled water just by the process of distillation that boils water and re-condensates the vapor back into a liquid leaving behind the impurities, has no noticeable irritant in CPAP use unlike non distilled regular water has.

No where in my personal use of Distilled water or on any CPAP user forum have I ever heard of an instance of getting non distilled water in a distilled water labeled jug container. You have a bigger chance of getting hit by a bus that finding mis-labled or fraudulent distilled water.
-

OP
OP
NorthwestGuy

NorthwestGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
For the record, I am neutral on the point of using Distilled water in flushing a DEF system.

Secondly, as a CPAP user of distilled water, I have on rare occasion in a pinch used both tap and bottled regular non distilled water in my CPAP machine. With non distilled water, it is readily apparent it is not distilled water when you breath in the water vapor as it has a varying metallic iron smell and after taste left in ones throat and nasal passages. Distilled water just by the process of distillation that boils water and re-condensates the vapor back into a liquid leaving behind the impurities, has no noticeable irritant in CPAP use unlike non distilled regular water has.

No where in my personal use of Distilled water or on any CPAP user forum have I ever heard of an instance of getting non distilled water in a distilled water labeled jug container. You have a bigger chance of getting hit by a bus that finding mis-labled or fraudulent distilled water.
-
OK, I was just curious. I agree that the chances are slim to none. I think I'm just being overly cautious because I'm more afraid of hurting someone else's truck than my own.

OP
OP
NorthwestGuy

NorthwestGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
Keep us up to date with the end results - be it positive or negative!

I'm thinking in my head: If you get as much as you can out with the method Marion used & do a decent flush with DEF this issue will be resolved.
I honestly don't know the best method!

I will say this with no disrespect too your friend.
I am in no way shape or form judging your friends state of mind!

I showed this post to my son & explained to him if I (myself) ever start doing things like this.
I will have NO problems with you telling me you want my keys.
Just to protect others & myself.

God Bless your friend!

View attachment 148171

This is what I did just to help keep this from happening.
especially if the wife or kids are ask to take the JUDGE and get diesel.

My thoughts after I did this: If I still struggle putting either product in their proper spots: I have no business driving.

Mind You: These thoughts are only about myself & my current state of mind @ that time! Not Others!
Thanks, I'll let you know how it turns out. Rich is actually still pretty sharp for his age. In fact he said he woke up at 2 a.m. and all of a sudden realized what he'd done. It was just a brain fart I guess. I feel bad because I'm the one that talked him into using a fuel additive which he never did for the first few years he had the truck. I'm going over to his place in a few minutes and we're going to come up with a plan.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Good Luck!

I myself add diesel fuel additives within my new 6.7L & always will.
I will think of your post every time I go to add the fuel additive & will make dam sure I pour them in the correct spot!

Thanks
SyN

Last edited:

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
OK, I was just curious. I agree that the chances are slim to none. I think I'm just being overly cautious because I'm more afraid of hurting someone else's truck than my own.

I do not think it will hurt it but nobody is going to be chipping in if it does.

I do know the very early DEF systems used on the big rig truck did not have a concentration percentage sensor and many truckers used both distilled and regular water instead of DEF with no issue.

So as a flush, I think distilled water would be fine but I would let somebody else try that first on the latest DEF system trucks before even considering it.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Stick a garden hose in it and let it run for 30mins....Additive is petroleum based, and floats to the top. It'll come out and all that will be left to pump out is water. Then refiil with def. If I'm nutty for saying so, tell me.

OP
OP
NorthwestGuy

NorthwestGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
Well, just to let you all know how this ended my friend wanted to fix it himself and wouldn't let me help him. Every time I would ask him how its going he just made one excuse or another but I could tell he was tired of messing with it and afraid he was going to do damage somehow. Well yesterday he had it towed to the dealer and got it back today after paying $1300 to have the tank taken off and flushed. I could only shake my head.