FRONT AXLE AND PINION TURN WHEN 4X4 IS DISENGAGED? IS IT NORMAL??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zose81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Hi guys!

In 2wd mode, just noticed that if I make the front wheels spin, the front axle and pinion spin as well. Normally, driving on 2wd mode, they should stand still. Am I wrong? Might be something wrong with the 4wd activator? Thanks for your help! :peace:

P.S. Model: 1997 RAM 1500 4x4 5.2 petrol automatic

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It disconnects at the transfer case. The front diff and driveshaft spin all the time when driving. Not like the old days where the hubs disconnected the front wheels from the drive axle up front. I prefer the old way as it was less wear and tear and rolling resistance, but what you're describing is normal for your truck.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
The Axles on these trucks use what is referred to as a CAD or Center Axle Disconnect. That being said in 2wd the gear to the front drive shaft is disengaged from the Transfercase chain. but on the Axle only one side is disconnected by a vacuum actuator. So this means that one side is still connected. That being said, The drivers side axleshaft never disconnects from the pinion. Therefore the axle will spin the pinion in the front axle in turn activating the spider gears and momentum will cause the front driveshaft to spin as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01