Front Wheel Bearings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BillyGoat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just got back from the dealership getting my steering wheel re-aligned due to the drag link replacement. The mechanic said the front wheel bearings were getting loose with <24k miles.
They want $350 per side to replace. Sounds like I will be making the repair.

Any recommendations for which ones to get that will last? Easy install?

Thanks!

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so the factory didnt tighten the axle nut correctly ? did you have the so called mechanic show you the loose bearings ?
its well known that dealer techs and some mechanics in general dont know what theyre talking about, convincing nieve vehicles owners that repairs are needed when in fact there might be nothing wrong. i would get a second opinion from a known trusted mechanic before i did anything. 24k is extremely early to have trouble with those hub bearings, unless its just a fluke and you got a set of lemon hub units

Rustyraindog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 PW
Engine
I always felt that doing them myself was a PITA. That being said, my truck is at the shop right now getting the passenger wheel bearing replaced. I will do some stuff on my truck, but I am tired of working on my gravel driveway. Besides, arthritis is kicking in and I don't have the strength in my hands for some stuff anymore so it is easier to just pay my mechanic for some jobs.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
SKF bearings. I wouldn't say it's a difficult task, but plan for all day. So how did dealer know the bearing were shot? Did they show you? Some others have recommended to fill the bearing interior with bearing grease, thru the ABS hole, before installing the ABS sensor to extend bearing life. I did it to mine and have had no issues. If you don't have a repair manual, plenty of YouTube DITY videos.

OP
OP
BillyGoat

BillyGoat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The mechanic talked to me when he brought my truck into the bay for pickup. He said I had slight play up and down and side to side - both sides. Said the ball joints and tie rods are tight, but I was not shown. He swapped L/R tires due to alignment issue and that’s how he found out. The steering wheel was crooked to the right and hitting certain bumps would straighten the wheel back out. He had it for a few hours, thought something else was loose causing the issue - new drag link replaced a few weeks ago. He adjusted the toe that was already in spec and swapped front tires and now it seems perfect. I am out of warranty, but the dealer called later in the day and said they would replace both hubs for free.....

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The mechanic talked to me when he brought my truck into the bay for pickup. He said I had slight play up and down and side to side - both sides. Said the ball joints and tie rods are tight, but I was not shown. He swapped L/R tires due to alignment issue and that’s how he found out. The steering wheel was crooked to the right and hitting certain bumps would straighten the wheel back out. He had it for a few hours, thought something else was loose causing the issue - new drag link replaced a few weeks ago. He adjusted the toe that was already in spec and swapped front tires and now it seems perfect. I am out of warranty, but the dealer called later in the day and said they would replace both hubs for free.....

Damn! Well thats awful nice of em!

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
yeah I'd take free hubs. My dealer would never do that ****.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if the dealer is putting new ones for free its hard to beat that. still something doesnt sound right at all. do you drive in alot of water ? junp the truck ? there may be up and down play with the tires off the ground but its likely from balljoints as thats the type of design they are. wheels on the ground the vehicle weight holds the joint ball in the housing pocket. perhaps thats the play he was feeling. honestly i think either his diagnosis is simply just wrong or you beat the snot out of the truck :anitoof:. our work trucks drive on offroad conditions usually everyday and never needed them new bearings in about 90k mi

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Verify work was done when you get your truck back. I do not trust dealers. Although it sounds like you got a good one.

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That will be a sealed bearing
If you have new wheel studs showing you have a new bearing assembly

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if the dealer is putting new ones for free its hard to beat that. still something doesnt sound right at all. do you drive in alot of water ? junp the truck ? there may be up and down play with the tires off the ground but its likely from balljoints as thats the type of design they are. wheels on the ground the vehicle weight holds the joint ball in the housing pocket. perhaps thats the play he was feeling. honestly i think either his diagnosis is simply just wrong or you beat the snot out of the truck :anitoof:. our work trucks drive on offroad conditions usually everyday and never needed them new bearings in about 90k mi

I completely agree. Way too soon for them to be getting loose.

I do know when i first jacked my tires off the ground for the first time (rotating tires at 5k miles) i noticed play in my front tires (at 6oclock and 12oclock). It was very minor amount of play, to the point i could not even tell where it was coming from, but I figured it was my upper ball joints. Now at 4 years and 45k miles later There is still the same minor wiggle...

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
alot of mechanics arent familiar with these style of factory joints even though dodge has used them for 20yrs

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
with tire off the ground the joints are unloaded and will have some vertical movement. talks all about it in the service manual. i think it can be .030 or something but i dont have my book in front of me.

OP
OP
BillyGoat

BillyGoat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I have never beat on it... some off-road, but nothing major. Never seen deep water either. If the dealer was not replacing for free, I would be definitely be getting a second opinion.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
with tire off the ground the joints are unloaded and will have some vertical movement. talks all about it in the service manual. i think it can be .030 or something but i dont have my book in front of me.
Oh dealers and alignment shops love to sell ball joints. They say “hey come see this, you see that little play right there they’re bad” put my tires back on lol. I’ve learned to align myself anyways.

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The allowable movement in a ball joint is not for serviceability but the safety factor

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Free is good. Factory part, so at least get some warranty on that. Ball joints seem to be misdiagnosed often. Slight up/down okay, any side-to-side not okay. The other thing about the front wheel bearing is they would be noisy if they were worn beyond serviceable. Grumbling sound, noticeably when turning at slow speeds.

Good it worked out for you.

Daddyhas2boys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hub bearing install totally sucks....but 750 for the front with no parts...haha no way....it will prolly take a Saturday to do it in the driveway....I would get moog if you can find some....best of luck my friend

Daddyhas2boys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
But honestly I would wait till the truck says it's time....it will scream at you lol

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357