Gas Nozzle Gets Stuck in Filler Neck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpinegreenneon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What year is your truck? I just installed the newest part number. Manufacturing date was 11/18. Not too difficult of a procedure. I tried to do it without removing the wheel and liner. Little tight but it can be done. My old part number is 68192064aa. Interesting that it’s a different part from your original part. Anyways it’s all done and I can’t wait to fill up. I’ll probably fill up after work tomorrow and report back the results. Hopefully this fixes it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My original part number was the same as yours, 68192064AA. That 68192065AA was a typo, sorry. Truck is a 2018 built in late July 2018 in Mexico. New part had a date of 10/29/2018.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I filled up the other day at a different chevron closer to my house. (The other station is newer and closer to work) It didn’t get stuck or click off every 3 seconds. But I tried something new. I inserted the tip slowly and smoothly at an angle THEN I shoved the rest in. Worked like a charm.

I got my new filler neck in the mail from Benny @ all Mopar Parts. As soon as I find some time I’ll go swap it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had better luck the past few fill-ups, doing something similar. I also keep track of which pumps at the local Arco I frequent get stuck, and which ones don't. Have two pumps identified that work well, and wait to use those only. Still getting the new part installed next visit to the dealer though.

Jstmahoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well I’m glad to say this seemed to fix all the problems I was having! I highly recommend getting it done.

2018NightRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yeah I'm going to go give it another run by the gas station tomorrow

alpinegreenneon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been thinking about the vent tube disconnect and did some searching. I found this pdf with info on Mopar quick connects on page 11:
https://www.mopar.com/moparsvc/pim/media?id=9012375060510View media item 26778
So according to this, I should not have had to pull out the those blue and white plastic pieces. The blue plastic piece only needs to be pulled out a little and then the white plastic piece needs to be pushed in to release the quick disconnect. Found this in the junkyard the other day:
View media item 26779Hope this helps anyone doing their own filler tube install. You would not want to damage those plastic retainers by pulling them out all the way.

2018NightRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
So it doesnt get stuck anymore but it's clicking off constantly when filling up now. This is neverending: (

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
The part that alpine posted is the fix. In the meantime here's what another forum member posted:
The workaround is to get your finger(s) between the bottom of the boot and the filler neck, pull up separating the boot from the neck and it will release.

Edit:
There may be two issues.
1-the filler tube needs changing because the existing tube is at the wrong angle.
2-the gas station's pumps have the new emissions nozzles that can form a vacuum seal where the nozzle meets the truck filler tube. It's reported that Costco for sure has these nozzles. It's this situation that the mentioned workaround is suggested. The new filler tube corrects this problem.

Last edited:

magic280z

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I remember putting gas in my truck a few days after purchase and deciding next car I buy I will have to check putting gas in during the test drive because this is stupid. The Ram's definitely have the worst designed filler neck I've ever used. I don't fill at full speed because my last truck wouldn't fill at full so I dont mind one click back so cutting off isn't an issue, but having to fight at all with the filler neck is just crazy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I remember putting gas in my truck a few days after purchase and deciding next car I buy I will have to check putting gas in during the test drive because this is stupid. The Ram's definitely have the worst designed filler neck I've ever used. I don't fill at full speed because my last truck wouldn't fill at full so I dont mind one click back so cutting off isn't an issue, but having to fight at all with the filler neck is just crazy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Was the same for me. Loved the truck when I drive it off the lot, still do, but at the first fill-up it got stuck. I haven't had it replaced yet, but am getting better at "sneaking" the nozzle in, and using nozzles at my local GS that I know work, as long as I don't push in too far, but this needs to be a TSB.

A month ago RamCares messaged me on twitter that it was in process of being a TSB, but no word since. When I called to have the dealer replace it a few weeks ago during an oil change, I got the runaround again, then was told they'd have to keep it 2-3 days. IMO that was just to dissuade me, and it did. I changed my own oil.

If it's a TSB that eliminates the dealer games, and FCA needs to do it! Should be an in-and-out, 2 hour fix max. There is nothing to diagnose and quibble about, it's just a poorly-designed filler tube, period.

alpinegreenneon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What ever happened to DIY? $50 and couple hours in your garage is all it takes and you never will have a stuck gas nozzle again. I don't get it. Do you have 2 left hands?

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
What ever happened to DIY? $50 and couple hours in your garage is all it takes and you never will have a stuck gas nozzle again. I don't get it. Do you have 2 left hands?

As a tradesman I do more than enough hands-on work during the day for other folks, so if it's covered under warranty, I'd rather let the dealer do and pay for it. If I was retired, it would be different. Also have too much work to do on the house. And it's a matter of principle. They effed it up, they should fix it!

Jstmahoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
2 month update. Still no issues filling up after switching out the filler neck. I strongly suggest getting this done if you have any problems with filling up.

1stHEMI

Reaction score
I've had the gas nozzle get stuck a couple of times on my 2017 RAM 1500, but the past couple of days I can't even fill up. The damn nozzle clicks off after about a buck or two, and I've been to three gas stations putting in 2 gallons at a time. I'm currently communicating with RAM and trying to get them to do something about it. This is stupid. I'm also contacting a friend of mine with Chrysler/FCA and letting him know my disappointment... maybe he can help get this moving along.

1stHEMI

Reaction score
So that last part number - 68448220AA - is listed as a "discontinued part" already. WTF?

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
maybe they have come up with another part design to try like has happened with other parts.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I still haven't had mine changed, but am getting better at finessing the nozzle in. Still a BAD design though.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
I've had the gas nozzle get stuck a couple of times on my 2017 RAM 1500, but the past couple of days I can't even fill up. The damn nozzle clicks off after about a buck or two, and I've been to three gas stations putting in 2 gallons at a time. I'm currently communicating with RAM and trying to get them to do something about it. This is stupid. I'm also contacting a friend of mine with Chrysler/FCA and letting him know my disappointment... maybe he can help get this moving along.
Nozzle issue, not a Ram issue. Slow the fill rate.