Gen 4 115 factory installed 115 volt accessory outlet plug not working.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimbro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
115 volt Accessory plug issue. My truck is a 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie with5.7 Hemi. I'm trying to get the 115 volt accessory plug working after my wife used a hair dryer and apparently blew a fuse or blew up the plug. I checked all the fuses and couldn't find any that were blown. I pulled off the dashboard trim piece looking for a fuse but didn't find one. I also looked under the passenger seat for the power inverter and didn't see any fuses there either. My question is could the actual plug have been torched? I pulled the accessory plug out since I pulled the trim piece off and used a multimeter to check for continuity and I didn't get a continuity reading. Both of my cigarette power adapters are working so I don't think they're connected to the 115 volt plug. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 115 vot plug.jpg
    115 vot plug.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
115 volt Accessory plug issue. My truck is a 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie with5.7 Hemi. I'm trying to get the 115 volt accessory plug working after my wife used a hair dryer and apparently blew a fuse or blew up the plug. I checked all the fuses and couldn't find any that were blown. I pulled off the dashboard trim piece looking for a fuse but didn't find one. I also looked under the passenger seat for the power inverter and didn't see any fuses there either. My question is could the actual plug have been torched? I pulled the accessory plug out since I pulled the trim piece off and used a multimeter to check for continuity and I didn't get a continuity reading. Both of my cigarette power adapters are working so I don't think they're connected to the 115 volt plug. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Does the invertor itself have a fuse or reset switch maybe?

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
According to this site, Fuse #38 a 30A fuse is used for the Power Inverter 115 VAC outlet.

It's located in the lower left corner of the fuse panel or TIPM.

This detail could also be confirmed inside the TIPM lid

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jimbro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you SitKneelBend and Michael, I didn't see a reset switch or fuse on the inverter itself. I had pulled fuse #38 and it was not blown either. I may pull out the passenger seat to see if I missed a fuse/reset switch on the inverter.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
I had mine (actual outlet in dash) go bad under warranty FYI in my 2015. Never plugged anything into it but an iPhone charger.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you SitKneelBend and Michael, I didn't see a reset switch or fuse on the inverter itself. I had pulled fuse #38 and it was not blown either. I may pull out the passenger seat to see if I missed a fuse/reset switch on the inverter.

You're most welcome, Jimbro.

Were you able to confirm fuse #38 as correct for the inverter on the inside of the TIPM lid?

Also, in your first post, you mentioned performing a continuity check that failed.

Could you please describe in detail how exactly you completed this test?

I would expect that you should be able to get continuity from the individual outlet terminals to the pins on top of the enclosure, as seen in your picture.

Last edited:

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The inverter should have registered too large of a wattage draw and shut it down. But there is the possibility it didn't do so before the interior wiring or some component failed. So after verifying all fuses and any reset switch are correct, you may have to pull inverter and have it checked out.

OP
OP
J

Jimbro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I checked fuse #38 which is the correct fuse for the inverter and it was okay. How I checked for continuity on the outlet is that I took the plug out of the dashboard trim and took the outlet apart, then using a multimeter I tested for continuity. I didn't get continuity from touching the posts on the outlet.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I checked fuse #38 which is the correct fuse for the inverter and it was okay. How I checked for continuity on the outlet is that I took the plug out of the dashboard trim and took the outlet apart, then using a multimeter I tested for continuity. I didn't get continuity from touching the posts on the outlet.

OK, just to be certain we're both on the same page.

You double checked your multimeter settings by shorting the test probes together, and then checked for continuity from each of the 3 AC terminals to the connector pins on the bottom of the assembly?

You could be an Engineer or an electrician but we don't know that and have to ask for the details.

Given that most hair dryers are about 1500 Watts or 10 x the rated output of the inverter, something may have been fried on that outlet assembly board before any current limiting was engaged.

When I next get to my PC, I'll see if I can find any info about that assembly. If it were me, I would try to inspect the circuit board for any fusing or fried traces, etc.

Could you post another close-up of the circuit board on the outlet assembly?

See if the circuit board can be removed from the plastic housing so you can see both sides.

You should be able to follow the path of each of the AC terminals through the PCB to the connector with your ohm meter and identify exactly where the open exists.

I can likely teach how to repair the circuit board if the board is fried but it does depend on the damage.

After another magnified look, it's difficult to see the circuit board using my phone but it does appear to have micro circuitry including semi-conductors. This type of assembly can often be impossible to repair.

I would be very careful and try to test for voltage at the connector feeding the outlet assembly.

Measure AC voltage between a good ground and the female side of the connector using an insulated paper clip or whatever else that fits better.

Use alligator test clips to hold the paperclip and apply electrical tape to insulate. And don't rest your elbow on a metal part while you're holding the taped paperclip. :cool:

OP
OP
J

Jimbro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't know what happened but after taking the outlet apart and putting it back together, I plugged it back in and it's working. I appreciate all the help and advice I got. Thanks guys.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know what happened but after taking the outlet apart and putting it back together, I plugged it back in and it's working. I appreciate all the help and advice I got. Thanks guys.

Thanks for the update and you're most welcome. :cool:

You can re-post to this thread if the outlet misbehaves again.