Gently weeping...bent rods AGAIN

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jayeddy111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ok. 2005 ram 5.7l hemi sat for year and half. On way to my garage (hiway) the truck stalled. Put in neutral and started as I was driving. All was good. Just cresting a hill and there was a clunk and engine stall again. This time no start. Just sound of turning over with no compression.
The oil was shot and was thick goo. (Yes, I'm an idiot)
With covers off I noticed the intake rods are bent. Exaust seems fine.
Both sides bent same.
Valve rods too.
So, a friend replaced everything.
Tried to start and all the same bent again.
We thought timing chain and line up was off. Some say cam at 12 and crank at 30 degrees. Some say cam at 12 and crank at 6.
Checked compression when starting and none.

Any ideas. 1. What would the timing set up be on the 2005.
2. Why are the rods bending?

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
you might want this in the 3rd gen engine section

mkbrower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
The valve train timing is done by lining up specific links on the timing chain to specific locations on crank and cam gear.

prevents you from getting valve timing off by a tooth which was quite common on other engines.

unless you are building a high performance engine and know how to degree a cam in, this is how I would do it.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Your nasty oil burnt the cam bearings (rear) welding it to it's bearing and broke the cam alignment pin allowing the cam to be out of time.

OP
OP
J

Jayeddy111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes the pin was sheared off. Bit putting all back together again...bent rods again.
Maybe can you explain further?
THANKS

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
The short story is the cam bearings need to be replaced. This requires engine removal. Most likely new cam and timing chain set. Since the engine hasn't had proper maintenance the crank and connecting rod bearings also require inspecting. You are so deep into the engine a rebuild makes the most sense...

OP
OP
J

Jayeddy111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
THANKS! Forgive my ignorance but can the bearings cause the rods to bend?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
THANKS! Forgive my ignorance but can the bearings cause the rods to bend?
The cam bearings prevented the cam shaft from rotating. This sheared the cam's alignment pin. Causing the valve timing to nolonger be correct allowing the valves to contact the pistons preventing them from opening fully bending the push rods. Hopefully the bent push rods prevented the valves from being bent when they clashed with the pistons. Both heads will need to be checked for bent valves when the heads are done.

audiowize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
When you work on stuff like this, try rotating the engine by hand before you use the starter motor.

With all the rockers pulled off and the plugs out, you can turn the engine over by hand pretty easily. This would also let you see the push rods going up and down. With the rockers off, it doesn't matter if the timing is all screwed up, as no valves are opening.

If everything rotates freely, then you would want to check the timing marks to be sure the crank and cam are going to work together.

Based on what you've posted here, I would suggest swapping in a junkyard motor.