Goodyear Wrangler SRA tires - can't go offroad at all?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Stock tires on any truck are garbage.

This is true for the GY SRA's but not for the stock Falken Wildpeak A/T3W's (which come with the off-road package). They work great for me. I had excellent traction when driving in winter conditions, and they work well in the rain. Haven't taken them off-road yet, but I'm sure they'll work fine for the light off-roading I might do. They are a 6-ply A/T tire, so you wouldn't want to abuse them too much. But they're great for what I use my truck for.

OP
OP
F

FranklinOtis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar 3.6
If anyone cares, it appears GY and Discount tire are essentially giving me $550 in credit. I can walk out the door at $442 for 4 GY UltraTerrains or Duratracs at $533. Anyone have comments about either of these tires? I do mild offroading and mostly highway driving.

Outdoors76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If anyone cares, it appears GY and Discount tire are essentially giving me $550 in credit. I can walk out the door at $442 for 4 GY UltraTerrains or Duratracs at $533. Anyone have comments about either of these tires? I do mild offroading and mostly highway driving.

Duratracs I've had two sets pretty quiet if you rotate every oil change and lasted over 60k miles

HuhWhat

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The last vehicle I owned (a Jeep Patriot) came with Wrangler SRA's. Three of the four tires delaminated with less than 20,000 miles on them. I traded them out for Yokohama Geolandars. Those handled well, but didn't last nearly the mileage they were supposed to. Ended up with Continental Terrain Contact A/T's which worked well on the Jeep.

Octane

Reaction score
Just plugged an SRA tire. 5/32 tread and a 1/4 inch screw through the thicker part of the tread caused a slow leak.Dang thin tires.Hard to believe a maker as good as Goodyear used to be would make a tire like this and put their name on it.

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just plugged an SRA tire. 5/32 tread and a 1/4 inch screw through the thicker part of the tread caused a slow leak.Dang thin tires.Hard to believe a maker as good as Goodyear used to be would make a tire like this and put their name on it.
They're perfect for what they're designed for. They're designed to give a good feeling ride and turn good fuel economy numbers. To do this it needs to be lightweight and soft.
The problem isn't Goodyear, it's truck manufacturers putting these kind of tires on new trucks so that they pass the demo drive test. They'd probably be pretty decent tires on a lighter vehicle.

Octane

Reaction score
They're perfect for what they're designed for. They're designed to give a good feeling ride and turn good fuel economy numbers. To do this it needs to be lightweight and soft.
The problem isn't Goodyear, it's truck manufacturers putting these kind of tires on new trucks so that they pass the demo drive test. They'd probably be pretty decent tires on a lighter vehicle.
I believe so on a lighter vehicle,but on a truck used as a commuter to work and back they're not terrible really as far as ride. Until you have to use your truck like a truck...then it's uh ohh! and pssst! But they're still cheap made.

patmanz28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I hated the GY SR-A tires. Worst tires I have ever had on a vehicle. They did not ride that well, started getting noisy at 12k horrible wet traction all they were good for was low rolling resistance. I replaced mine with Kuhmo Krugen HT51. They have been amazing, great traction wet, dry or snow (they are 3 peak mountain rated) quiet and a good ride. They also worked reasonably well off road (mines a 2wd but sometimes at my uncles place we have to drive down to the water) the sra used to sometimes get stuck i have had no problems with the HT51's. The only negative is i lost 1mpg both highway and city, oh and gravel rocks like to stick in the tread some.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hated the GY SR-A tires. Worst tires I have ever had on a vehicle. They did not ride that well, started getting noisy at 12k horrible wet traction all they were good for was low rolling resistance. I replaced mine with Kuhmo Krugen HT51. They have been amazing, great traction wet, dry or snow (they are 3 peak mountain rated) quiet and a good ride. They also worked reasonably well off road (mines a 2wd but sometimes at my uncles place we have to drive down to the water) the sra used to sometimes get stuck i have had no problems with the HT51's. The only negative is i lost 1mpg both highway and city, oh and gravel rocks like to stick in the tread some.

Got to 13K, and said Goodbye, SRA's good for mileage and on road only. Got Falken Wildpeaks AT3W, really good tires. Good for moderate off-road. Now U gotta go big bucks and go up in tires and suspension if U wanna off-road hard, but all IMHO.....

SeaSickSailor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
My ‘19 PW came with 33” GY Duratracs. Got a puncture about 100yds from the highway on my first off-road foray. Just a sandy dirt road through a bunch of scrub. Had about 5K miles on the truck. Put the spare on and drove to Barstow to get a new tire. Shop had my tires but in load range E versus OEM load range D. Wish I would have had all Es from the get go. As soon as wife allows, going to get a set of 6 wheels and 35” tires of decent quality. Don’t know which wheels yet but possibly BFG KO2 tires. I’ve had good luck with them in the past. Fairly inexpensive and, more importantly, readily available almost anywhere. I’m thinking that if I get one more flat on the Duratracs she’ll give in to getting the new shoes.

Simpleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Forget about sra's horrible tire. Go with the good year wrangler adventure with kevlar great tire they're the only tire i use very smooth & quiet

20200507_120518.jpg

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
The SRAs are only good for gas mileage. They suck on wet streets and they aren't worth a damn off of the pavement. I replaced them with BFG ATs E-rating on my 13 and lost 4 MPG. Replaced those with Michelin LT ATs that were low rolling resistance and it didn't improve at all.
But both tires were much better to drive in all conditions. You won't believe how bad the SRAs handle until you change them.

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
My ‘19 PW came with 33” GY Duratracs. Got a puncture about 100yds from the highway on my first off-road foray. Just a sandy dirt road through a bunch of scrub. Had about 5K miles on the truck. Put the spare on and drove to Barstow to get a new tire. Shop had my tires but in load range E versus OEM load range D. Wish I would have had all Es from the get go. As soon as wife allows, going to get a set of 6 wheels and 35” tires of decent quality. Don’t know which wheels yet but possibly BFG KO2 tires. I’ve had good luck with them in the past. Fairly inexpensive and, more importantly, readily available almost anywhere. I’m thinking that if I get one more flat on the Duratracs she’ll give in to getting the new shoes.
Never heard anyone say that the KO2 was inexpensive, but they are great tires.

mhud59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My last two Rams had GY SRA tires, anytime the pavement was wet they would spin. Truck would try to go sideways, and no I wasn’t goosing it ,didn’t matter how slow I tried to go they would spin. They were actually dangerous!

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
Coopers *used to be* the last tire mfgr still making tires in the USA. Just one man's opinion.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Falken Wildpeaks, but just a stock leveled truck, no major mods except cosmetic. But works for me.

New tire on truck.jpg
New tires left side truck.jpg