Got a check engine code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

318_performance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 c.i.
How would I go about fixing the code 33? The codes I did get was 12, 33, an 55. I’m not worried bout the 12 cause I did that hoping it would help. But the truck will not start. An the 33 was the only thing I can think?

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
12 means your computer is communicating in simple terms. 33 is your code and 55 means finished reporting codes.

are you reading the check engine light flashes or is the code digitally displayed? j c.

33 as I looked it up is code for MAF or mass airflow sensor. the sensor is reporting too much air intake so probably means you have a leak preventing proper mixture of fuel & air to create a start condition.

check simple stuff first (leaks, rotted hoses, etc) to see if you can visually spot the problem make sure you egr is properly connected from the intake to the valve. a small hole in that (or anywhere before the MAF sensor) will cause a rich condition because the computer will try to mix more fuel to compensate. but, a bigger leak will result in a no-start because it cannot compensate enough.

find your MAF. start looking for problems from there out to your air filter (airinlet sources)

I'm curious to see what you find.

RR

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I looked it up for the 95 and 12 is just a notification that the battery has been disconnected withing the last 50 engine cycles. code 33 is for the A/C compressor clutch circuit, being either shorted or open. 55 is just end of codes message.

Not sure why it's not starting, I may have gotten a bogus list, I can check my service manual of the 95 later. But if it is for the MAF sensor (which I was unaware the 95's had) then just check for rotted hoses.

What does it do when you try to start? Does it try to fire? What happens when you hit the gas while starting? Can you get the truck to run off starting fluid?

OP
OP
318_performance

318_performance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 c.i.
I think I may have found it. The spark wire for the top of the blaster coil has a lot of rust in the cap an I had a piece of metal fall out of the plug, so that tells me that why it would only crank but not start. It wasn’t getting fire. So now ima replace the plug wires an plugs. What would be the better choice for wires ya think I’m either leaning for MSD street fires or Summit Racing
SUM-867815R. the plugs I’m using are autolites 9323s