Has Power/Won't Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S20206

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum. Beginning of August, bought a '15 1500 5.7 Laramie. Since then, have driven cross country and back, with a few other long distance trips thrown in. Everything has been great until yesterday. Drove to a friends house no problem. Went to leave, truck wouldn't start. Battery seems good, all lights bright, radio, etc. When I pushed the button to start (with foot on brake), ignition went to ACC, second push went to start and nothing. Tried the remote start and nothing. Just for ***** and giggles, tried to jump and same thing. Just in case it was battery in fob, had my girlfriend bring my spare fob. Same thing. Looked online and found some others have had the same issue. Their solution was to disconnect negative terminal for 30 seconds then try to start the truck. Did that this morning and it worked. Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, what is the remedy? I called the closest dealership to me (130 miles) and they claimed they had not heard of this happening before. I routinely travel in areas where it can be 100 miles between service (if it's even open) and no cell service. I apologize if this has been addressed somewhere else in this forum, but didn't turn up in my search. Thanks for any help.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Welcome to RamForum. Given the number of computer-controlled systems in the truck, the battery disconnect is many people's current (no pun intended) go-to first step in troubleshooting before anything else.

phantomfixer

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know this my sound a bit crazy after all your attempts to start your truck but these batteries can cause some strange issues.I would definitely get your battery checked even if you feel that it's good

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum. Beginning of August, bought a '15 1500 5.7 Laramie. Since then, have driven cross country and back, with a few other long distance trips thrown in. Everything has been great until yesterday. Drove to a friends house no problem. Went to leave, truck wouldn't start. Battery seems good, all lights bright, radio, etc. When I pushed the button to start (with foot on brake), ignition went to ACC, second push went to start and nothing. Tried the remote start and nothing. Just for ***** and giggles, tried to jump and same thing. Just in case it was battery in fob, had my girlfriend bring my spare fob. Same thing. Looked online and found some others have had the same issue. Their solution was to disconnect negative terminal for 30 seconds then try to start the truck. Did that this morning and it worked. Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, what is the remedy? I called the closest dealership to me (130 miles) and they claimed they had not heard of this happening before. I routinely travel in areas where it can be 100 miles between service (if it's even open) and no cell service. I apologize if this has been addressed somewhere else in this forum, but didn't turn up in my search. Thanks for any help.

Apologies for the trouble, @S20206. If you have to address this with your dealer, please be sure to follow up with us via private message. I would like to escalate your situation to a Case Manager so that both you and your dealer have an additional layer of support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine

Any type of pedal commander on the truck?

Black-Ram15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Bighorn
Same thing happend to me but in my case it was the pulsar computer module that went bad. Started normal again after removing it and installing the OEM computer back up.

Were you getting any CEL prior to that happening?

Jtblackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can you rule out the starter?