Header install help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just found some instructions on the forum... You've got to be ******** me...

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Directions say raise engine,drop the front axle and maybe even raise the transmission?! There's gotta be a better way.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anybody know what this silver brace attached to the tranny housing is all about? If I can just unbolting that, I'm thinking I may be able to get enough clearance to get into the oilpan to fish the piece of tube out.
IMG_20171218_221733.jpg IMG_20171218_221723.jpg

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Try jacking the truck in a way that would make piece roll toward oil drain.
Then blow air with nozzle on opposite of drain. May have construct air nozzle with extension (brake line) & curve to get in pan. Might get lucky & blow thru dip stick tube hole. Hope you have air compressor, good luck!

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Try jacking the truck in a way that would make piece roll toward oil drain.
Then blow air with nozzle on opposite of drain. May have construct air nozzle with extension (brake line) & curve to get in pan. Might get lucky & blow thru dip stick tube hole. Hope you have air compressor, good luck!
I've got a 6 inch lift with 37's, I barely got it up enough to get the tires off lol. Plus the broken piece is probably over a half inch in length, I think getting it in the drain hole is lottery odds. Finally, no air compressor... I have many tools, some which can't probably be imagined, but I've always found comfort wrenching on vehicles by hand... Not this time... Not by a long shot

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Doesn't the pickup tube have a screen on it? That piece will never get picked up if there's a screen and will eventually get stuck on the drain plug magnet.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Directions say raise engine,drop the front axle and maybe even raise the transmission?! There's gotta be a better way.

If you haven't broke the oil pan loose yet,just leave it alone,and as stated wait till the piece gets stuck to the drain plug,it's not gonna hurt anything laying in the pan. find your local Snap-on or Matco tools dealer,they'll have a small extendable magnet that should fit through the drain plug hole. If you're really worried about the piece,find a good sized magnet and stick it to the outside of the pan by the drain plug,that'll keep the piece trapped till you can get yourself a small magnet.

BackCountryAK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab & 6.4' bed
Engine
If you haven't broke the oil pan loose yet,just leave it alone,and as stated wait till the piece gets stuck to the drain plug,it's not gonna hurt anything laying in the pan. find your local Snap-on or Matco tools dealer,they'll have a small extendable magnet that should fit through the drain plug hole. If you're really worried about the piece,find a good sized magnet and stick it to the outside of the pan by the drain plug,that'll keep the piece trapped till you can get yourself a small magnet.

I was going to suggest the same thing. Get yourself a really large magnet and see if you can move that broken piece towards the drain hole and then try to fish it out with something.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Wow, that is bum luck. Did you have any busted manifold bolts? If not, there is some sunshine in an otherwise dark and cloudy experience. It could have been worse!!

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I've already broken the pan loose, was planning on removing the "structural dust cover" bolted to the bell housing to get at the rest of the bolts. Just read that the gasket is actually a windage tray with the pickup tube going through. If I can get away with just bolting it backup, I'd rather go that route. 56$ for a new windage tray from the dealer and having to mess with trying to unbolting the pickuptube with minimal clearance sounds like a nightmare. You guys think I'll really be ok with that piece still in there?

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow, that is bum luck. Did you have any busted manifold bolts? If not, there is some sunshine in an otherwise dark and cloudy experience. It could have been worse!!

Very first bolt broke off immediately, luckily it was the easiest to get to, broke right at the head, and came right out with vice grips

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
I want THAT good luck. I have my ARH LT's that I need to put on. I know I have at least 1 busted bolt.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any of you guys that had trouble removing g the dipstick have trouble putting the new one in? I've been fishing around with magnets for two hours and nothing... Tried the new tube out and it won't go in. Looked at the hole closer and it looks rusted. I'm wondering if it's rusted in there... It doesn't feel like theres anything in there when I feel around with a nail punch...IMG_20171219_200607.jpg IMG_20171219_200611.jpg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, looks to me like the end of the dipstick has been rusted in there. My dipstick went in pretty easily.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, looks to me like the end of the dipstick has been rusted in there. My dipstick went in pretty easily.

I don't feel a lip though when I run a punch in & out... I'm baffled

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sanded it down a little with some 200 grit and it popped right in, hoping that's not going to be an issue not having the finish on it anymore. At this point I don't care. Back to fishing for that damn broken piece...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn't think there would be too much of a lip on the inside of the tube, Look in the end of new tube and see if there is one. If you decide that is is in fact the old tube rusted in, I would try to use a broken bolt extractor that is close to the inner diameter of the tube. I'm sure someone will have a better idea to get it out, but there's a start.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hah, disregard my post in that case :)

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the idea, luckily I don't need it :). I'm going to buy an inspection scope tomorrow to see if I can spot the broken tube. Surprised I don't already have one lol. With as much as this is costing me in extras, it would have been cheaper to have it done too :(