Heater help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bayoutalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm having a problem with the heater on my Ram 2500. It's a 2017 w/6.4 Hemi. I am not getting much heat out of it even with the engine temp at normal highway speeds. If I cycle the temp knob from full cold to full hot a few times it seems to do better but not as hot as I remember it. I can run on full hot all day without it getting uncomfortable. Has anyone else has this issue? What was the fix?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It's possibly a blend door issue but you'll want to check your getting hot coolant to the heater core. Check the coolant level and also if both the tubes going to the heater core are getting hot. If those are hot it's a blend door issue.

OP
OP
Bayoutalker

Bayoutalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's possibly a blend door issue but you'll want to check your getting hot coolant to the heater core. Check the coolant level and also if both the tubes going to the heater core are getting hot. If those are hot it's a blend door issue.
I'm getting at least some hot coolant to the core because it does blow warm air, just not real hot. I'll check the tubes. I was thinking it might be the heater valve not opening properly. Any idea where it's located?

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Is it the original coolant and t-stat?
Maybe fresh on both will help.

OP
OP
Bayoutalker

Bayoutalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I checked the coolant level and found it was below the "low" level. I went and bought a gallon and when I got home topped it off. It took a quart or a bit less to get to the "high" mark. I didn't have much hope but after idling it for several minutes the air coming out sure felt a lot warmer. I'll know for sure when I get to make a road trip.

Thanks for the tip.
Is it the original coolant and t-stat?
Maybe fresh on both will help.
It's the original of both. The engine temp was normal so I didn't suspect the therm. The truck only has a bit over 50k miles. As I said above, after topping off the coolant it sure looks like it is working better. I wouldn't have thought just that little amount would do it but time will tell.

Thanks for the help.

bigdodge

Reaction score
It's it warmer on the passenger side than the drive? I have cold air on the drive side and recently found that an actuator is bad for that side.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Bayoutalker

Bayoutalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's it warmer on the passenger side than the drive? I have cold air on the drive side and recently found that an actuator is bad for that side.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk
No it's the same all over, just not hot enough. Seems better now that I added some coolant. I wouldn't think that little would do it but so far it seems better. I can hear all my doors opening and air comes out where it should.

Cliff

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Interesting

Im having the same problem and my coolant reservoir is right on the low mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Bayoutalker

Bayoutalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting

Im having the same problem and my coolant reservoir is right on the low mark.

Mine was below the mark by about 3/4". Try adding some and let us know the result. I'll be taking a short trip Wednesday so I'll know then if mine is fixed for sure.

Cliff

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Mine was below the mark by about 3/4". Try adding some and let us know the result. I'll be taking a short trip Wednesday so I'll know then if mine is fixed for sure.

Cliff

Got some coolant today ill put it in later and let you know tomorrow how it works. Supposed to get up to 12” today and tomorrow morning

OP
OP
Bayoutalker

Bayoutalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got some coolant today ill put it in later and let you know tomorrow how it works. Supposed to get up to 12” today and tomorrow morning

I took a short trip today but to tell the truth I had so much going on I didn't even pay attention. No power, no water, everything freezing and running on my generator. 17° this morning and 14° tomorrow morning.

Cliff

Reactions: U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Dang.

Good luck. Stay warm first. Thats #1

OP
OP
Bayoutalker

Bayoutalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dang.

Good luck. Stay warm first. Thats #1

We live in our RV so it's a challenge but we're hanging in there. So far, so good. Hopefully tomorrow our power and water will be back on.

Cliff

OP
OP
Bayoutalker

Bayoutalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
UPDATE: Well I was right, that didn't do it. I was hopeful but no luck.

I did check the lines to and from the heater core and they are much too hot to touch for long do I guess the problem is under the dash. Any thoughts on what I'm looking for and where? I pulled the glove box but all I can see and touch is a plastic box behind it.

Cliff

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
UPDATE: Well I was right, that didn't do it. I was hopeful but no luck.

I did check the lines to and from the heater core and they are much too hot to touch for long do I guess the problem is under the dash. Any thoughts on what I'm looking for and where? I pulled the glove box but all I can see and touch is a plastic box behind it.

Cliff

Bummer

I filled mine up but i think the system need burped. I got heat once for like 5 min and it went away again.

It was -15 yesterday morning so it was chilly in the truck.

OP
OP
Bayoutalker

Bayoutalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bummer

I filled mine up but i think the system need burped. I got heat once for like 5 min and it went away again.

It was -15 yesterday morning so it was chilly in the truck.

I pulled the glove box and found the actuator that works with the temp knob. I can feel it opening and closing and it does make the heat change. I kept messing with it back and forth and the heat got better. When the weather gets better I think I'll pull it off and make sure the door works freely. The temp on the dash shows coolant temp at 208 so I'd think that eliminates thermo and both lines from the core are hot so not there. That doesn't leave much.

Good luck with yours.

Cliff

bdc2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’d check your cabin filter also if it hasn’t been replaced they get constricted fast. Makes a world of difference ,at least on the ac side.

OP
OP
Bayoutalker

Bayoutalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’d check your cabin filter also if it hasn’t been replaced they get constricted fast. Makes a world of difference ,at least on the ac side.
I'll do that but I'm getting good airflow through the vents, it just hasn't been very warm.

Cliff

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
I'm not sure if this will work on a 2017, but if you do not have automatic temp control you can try a calibration, at least it costs nothing to try:

HVAC Manual Recalibration below

With the vehicle running set the HVAC blower to low

-Press and hold the recirculation button on the HVAC Control Head for 10 seconds and release.

-Now press and hold the recirculation button on the HVAC Control Head again until the recirculation LED begins to flash, then release.

-The system will perform a brief recalibration and reset faults

OP
OP
Bayoutalker

Bayoutalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not sure if this will work on a 2017, but if you do not have automatic temp control you can try a calibration, at least it costs nothing to try:

HVAC Manual Recalibration below

With the vehicle running set the HVAC blower to low

-Press and hold the recirculation button on the HVAC Control Head for 10 seconds and release.

-Now press and hold the recirculation button on the HVAC Control Head again until the recirculation LED begins to flash, then release.

-The system will perform a brief recalibration and reset faults

Where does the temp knob need to be?

Cliff