HEI Conversion Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigShels85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LA 360
Admins feel free to move this wherever appropriate. I have a 1985 Ram W350 with the LA 360. about 10 years ago we did that cobble swap over to "HEI". Lasted just fine for about 8 years until I bought the truck from my dad who barely drove it. I drove it a ton when I first bought it from him, so the first time it left me sitting I wasn't surprised. I swapped the ignition module and all was well. Then the next time I drove it it drove about 40 miles, shut off, then wouldn't start. Checked the module, OL. So with the next module i moved the heat sync and module both out from under the distributor up to the firewall (thinking maybe it was a heat issue,) drove it home. Open module again. Did some research and found a GM coil on distributor style one wire distributor. Installed it with new plugs and wires, as well as building its own battery power circuit not feeling as though id trust the ignition circuit itself. Hooked everything up and BOOM!! nothing.. no spark.. checked the module just for giggles and the module is within spec. This thing is driving me nuts. Its an a-team performance HEI distributor, not a high end unit by any means but I was also shooting in the dark... Anything I can do to stay away from going back to the stupid lean burn crap? does the coil need to be "energized" so to speak like some old school alternators do?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.