Help! After market AMP keeps shutting off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alexismperry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hubby just installed two 12” subs with a 1100W mono block amp. Factory head unit. Everything is wired to the T. Checked and re-checked. He has installed several systems and never had an issue. Installed an in line converter, and a capacitor. Every time the bass hits the amp shuts off. Good ground. Tried wiring into the front and back speakers and still happens. Any ideas? Thanks!

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Hubby just installed two 12” subs with a 1100W mono block amp. Factory head unit. Everything is wired to the T. Checked and re-checked. He has installed several systems and never had an issue. Installed an in line converter, and a capacitor. Every time the bass hits the amp shuts off. Good ground. Tried wiring into the front and back speakers and still happens. Any ideas? Thanks!

Same used to happen to me it’s the Amp shutting off to protect itself from blowing you either need one 12 or a stronger Amp unplug one I’m sure it will work better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14RAM4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 4x4
Engine
6.4L Hemi
^^ This

What are the 12 rated at and at how many ohms?
How are the subs wired?

I'm not expert and it's been a looong time since I messed with subs & amps, but the ohms the amp and subs are rated for make a difference. Also, the way you wire the subs can pull a higher load from the amp and cause it to shut down from too high a load or high temps.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
These guys are on the right track. What is final load at the amp? Is the amp designed to handle that? PS I would also ditch the cap.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im going to lean on 1 of 2 things

1) the amp cant handle the load, 2 ohm amp, 1 ohm load kind of thing

2) a bad power connection regardless it be ground, power, or something else.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could also be clipping, but yeah the options are pretty limited here.