Help passing CA smog/need cat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gentleman J

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins 24v common rail
I just bought an out of state 2005 Dodge 3500 5.9 and it looks like it has an aftermarket 5” turbo back exhaust and k&n cold air intake.This is my first diesel so I’m trying to figure out how to pass smog. I have heard it needs a carb sticker on the intake (easy to get) and it looks like I need to install a OEM cat on the exhaust to pass smog. I called a smog shop and he said a new or used cat would be fine as long as it was factory OEM and not aftermarket because it just has to pass visual inspection. Do they also measure the exhaust coming out of the pipe like cars or just do a visual and computer inspection?(do guys hollow out cat and get away with smog still? I did find a junk one)
I’m currently on the hunt for a used cat since the dealer does not even have any available. Any help locating one is appreciated since I cannot register my truck until I find one.
I’m just curious whats the best thing you can do to get performance and still pass smog in CA? I hate to modify the exhaust thats on there so wanna do it as little or as modular as possible. Just looking for tips and tricks. Thanks