Hid vs Led

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
He's a video by headlight revolution comparing the two. I was kind of surprised by the projector outcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What about LED vs. HID vs. AMA though? :anitoof:

Last edited:

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Don't refer to the video above. It's a flawed test. Using bulbs in the incorrect housing is going to hamper thier performance.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Derek Powers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So the hundreds of tests that HR has done is bunk? Would love to hear your theory.

OP
OP
1500ram12

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Don't refer to the video above. It's a flawed test. Using bulbs in the incorrect housing is going to hamper thier performance.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

They use bulbs the way the average consumer does. In their stock housings. Whether is correct or not. Showing what one would expect to see if they were to buy them. Doing these test in quality to high end projector lenses that require retro fitting would be flawed testing.

I was actually amazed by the similar beam pattern of the hid compared to the halogen. I knew opt 7 was going to be horrible because I tried using them. Work great as high beams.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They use bulbs the way the average consumer does. In their stock housings. Whether is correct or not. Showing what one would expect to see if they were to buy them. Doing these test in quality to high end projector lenses that require retro fitting would be flawed testing.

I was actually amazed by the similar beam pattern of the hid compared to the halogen. I knew opt 7 was going to be horrible because I tried using them. Work great as high beams.

I enjoyed the video for that exact aspect, I just put a set of hikari ultras in my factory projectors and thought they were pretty close to my old HIDs, good to know it's not just the placebo effect. I'm sure it could be better with a setup designed for them, but for the price it was a HUGE upgrade over stock. I agree that this is the way most consumers go.

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have projectors in my 2016 RAM 1500 together with some HID 35W and honestly they are not that far less bright compared to the stock HID in the Subaru Crosstrek of my wife.

I always thought that it is just a matter of time for the LED to be more effective.

Now thinking of switching to these GTR Lighting Ultra Series 2...

Last edited:

Georgiasport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been waiting almost 2 years since I bought my new truck to upgrade bulbs because I have read so much info and see everyone recommends HID, but I wanted to see if LED would become a decent contender since it seems an easier option. Almost ready to pull the trigger now. What to do????? GTR Utlra 2's look promising. Wonder how their throw is??!!!

WhiteNight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L V8
I have been waiting almost 2 years since I bought my new truck to upgrade bulbs because I have read so much info and see everyone recommends HID, but I wanted to see if LED would become a decent contender since it seems an easier option. Almost ready to pull the trigger now. What to do????? GTR Utlra 2's look promising. Wonder how their throw is??!!!

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a low-beam bulb upgrade, also. I have a 2017 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4 Night Edition. I popped these LED fog light bulbs in and love them for the cost: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071GBJ9ZH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm wanting the best plug & play low-beam solution without spending hundreds. Having projectors, I've been reading that HID performs better in those housings. Can anyone recommend a quality, lower-cost plug & play solution for these? I don't want to be messing with a lengthy install or canbus issues, etc. 5000k or 6000k color.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you!

OP
OP
1500ram12

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
The route I am going is from Headlight Revolution. The GTR setup seems to be very good and easy to install. Not cheap at about $269, bit there are discounts right now because of the holiday.

I haven't had a chance to watch this yet

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

WhiteNight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L V8
The route I am going is from Headlight Revolution. The GTR setup seems to be very good and easy to install. Not cheap at about $269, bit there are discounts right now because of the holiday.

Let us know how it goes. I’m definitely not interested at that price. Anyone have luck with lower priced options?

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I want to change my factory bulbs at some point. My step-son has a 2018 Sierra and the LED's are very bright. Wish mine were like that. I don't know much about them or what needs done to swap them but want something better than factory. Mine has the base headlights like the SLT has, whatever they are. Even willing to replace the housings if need be but I have other things on my list to do first.

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
I have hids in mine and I hate them,wet rainy night can't see much,beam pattern is bad,not much light at the sides.I'm wondering can I just swap out my bulbs for those gtr leds?I like the beam pattern of them.

Georgiasport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From what I've researched, if you have the standard quad headlights, those reflectors work good with LED bulbs. If you have the projector headlights like my Sport model, then HID works better. I'm going with this pricier brand because of the plug and play ease and it works with our newer Rams Canbus systems. And you don't have a ****load of wires, ballasts and such to try and stuff in the back of your headlights and wiring to run to the battery

OP
OP
1500ram12

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
From what I've researched, if you have the standard quad headlights, those reflectors work good with LED bulbs. If you have the projector headlights like my Sport model, then HID works better. I'm going with this pricier brand because of the plug and play ease and it works with our newer Rams Canbus systems. And you don't have a ****load of wires, ballasts and such to try and stuff in the back of your headlights and wiring to run to the battery

Here is a screen shot from the original video of hid's and led's in projectors

07e0ddf4cb14b55483f2baae03d7704f.png

OP
OP
1500ram12

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
So what about something cheaper like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NCQHGS7? Has anyone tried these?

I'm running those right now. Ran the 35w kit for about 2 months and the 55w for about a month now with zero issues. Not much brighter than the 35w kit I'd say but a good option. I'll try to get a good pic tomorrow night.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm running those right now. Ran the 35w kit for about 2 months and the 55w for about a month now with zero issues. Not much brighter than the 35w kit I'd say but a good option. I'll try to get a good pic tomorrow night.

Looking forward to the pic. I'm in the same situation

jshatch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Why does Amazon say it isn't compatible? is it because you have to drill the dust covers and program the BCM to accept HIDs?

edit: It's because the canbus is super picky and even the canbus module for these fails to work sometimes. I think I'll give them a try.

Last edited: