Highway Mileage What Are You Getting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When mds kicks in you will feel it truck will vibrate a bit and exhaust/engine sound will change. The second you give it more gas mds will **** off and go back to normal.
If the truck vibrates, take it to the dealer and have it checked out. It should be a seamless transition that you wont notice unless you have an aftermarket exhaust.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You have it for sure, when the eco light in your gauge cluster screen goes on that means that you are running on 4 cylinders. When you press the - button on the wheel, then hit the + button until it reaches 8 on that screen, that allows the truck to use the full gear range of the tranny while also making it so the eco light cant come on. Wildpeaks are great, once my goodyears wear down im gonna slap on a set
The eco light isnt really tied to MDS, and it can be turned off in the settings menu (I cant remember if it is in the settings menu on the radio head unit or the gauge cluster, it's been a while since I turned it off). You can search eco light on the forum and get a better explanation.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the truck vibrates, take it to the dealer and have it checked out. It should be a seamless transition that you wont notice unless you have an aftermarket exhaust.

Most people do have a aftermarket exhaust how can you not on a ram wit a hemi :D even still you can notice it mds is junk flawed system i disabled mine permanently.

patmanz28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
when my exhaust was factory MDS was completely seamless for me. Now that I have an aftermarket exhaust it is really bothersome at lower speeds (under 50) around 70 or so it isn't bad, but I disable it as in 8cyl at cruise the truck is quieter. Before the exhaust, I routinely get aroun20-22 highway. Mostly when we go out of town to the lake i set the cruise at 75 and get about 21 for the trip. I do not know since my exhaust as 1 it is cold out winter gas. 2 i romp on it too much to hear her so mileage will suffer till the newness wears off. 2016 hemi QC 2wd 17 inch wheel.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Most people do have a aftermarket exhaust how can you not on a ram wit a hemi :D even still you can notice it mds is junk flawed system i disabled mine permanently.
Like I said, it is a seamless system, if you feel it, there is a problem that needs to be addressed. I HAD an aftermarket exhaust on my truck (Mufflex 18"), and even then it was barely an audible difference when it kicked in. That was my initial hesitance with even getting an aftermarket exhaust. I had heard horror stories of it sounding like a helicopter when it engaged. No such issue for me.

Some may like MDS, some may hate it. I am indifferent to it, it is just part of the truck. I do think it is just another item to fail at some point, but I also wont have the truck long enough to worry about it as I typically trade in every few years. Regardless of your feelings about the system, in proper working order, you shouldn't feel a vibration when it engages.

Rockyhammock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As to the MPG being reported. Is this from the Computer or are you doing math calculations. I found there is a good 1 mpg difference between the two.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
As to the MPG being reported. Is this from the Computer or are you doing math calculations. I found there is a good 1 mpg difference between the two.
I agree about the computer and hand calculations ! I am between .5 to 1 gal higher from the computer ! SO When I look I just deduct the 1 mpg :)

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
I have a 2015 Pentastar Quad Cab 4x4 6ft bed All stock and best I ever saw was 23.4, but my average is 20/21 mpg:O

When I first got my truck, That is about the best I was getting too. But after about 3000 miles and a full synthetic oil change, it started climbing. There is another thread there that discussed it. I was happy when it cleared 26 mpg on the same run and when it passed 27 I was estatic. The truck is at about 7500 miles and had 2 full synthetic oil changes. I'm changing it every 3000 at this time. Wally full synthetic is about the same price as others conventional oil. Who would ever think that you could pass the factory highway estimates this much? I belive that the highway epa listing for the 4wd is 1 mpg less. I'm a conservative driver, Occupy the far right lane and run about 60-65mph with or without cruise control.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When mds kicks in you will feel it truck will vibrate a bit and exhaust/engine sound will change. The second you give it more gas mds will **** off and go back to normal.
On mine there is no vibration or anything, all you can tell is the sound of the exhaust, nothing else. You can also tell by getting up to speed 35 + and then make it shift into 8th, with MDS you will here the exhaust tone change also. A stock exhaust is hardest to tell but you can hear the difference even with it. With my flowmaster you can clearly hear it change.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
When I first got my truck, That is about the best I was getting too. But after about 3000 miles and a full synthetic oil change, it started climbing. There is another thread there that discussed it. I was happy when it cleared 26 mpg on the same run and when it passed 27 I was estatic. The truck is at about 7500 miles and had 2 full synthetic oil changes. I'm changing it every 3000 at this time. Wally full synthetic is about the same price as others conventional oil. Who would ever think that you could pass the factory highway estimates this much? I belive that the highway epa listing for the 4wd is 1 mpg less. I'm a conservative driver, Occupy the far right lane and run about 60-65mph with or without cruise control.

I run 100% Synthetic in all my vehicles and my motorcycles !
Even when I had on the SRA'S I got the same MPG.
And no difference with my Good Year AT/s , They are a 4 ply so not real heavy !
The NEXAN Dedicated snows were 10 ply and I did drop about 1 mpg with them !
But my Window Sticker MPG was rated at 23 MPG for my 4x4 Quad Cab so I am pretty close :) But would LOVE to see 26 MPG lol
Iknow a truck will not get 40 mpg :O But I do want the best mpg my vehicles can get ! IMO by following your mpg you may see a issue starting when it drops a lot

Last edited:

Potatomafia

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I took my 2015 Express on an 8 hour road trip from Florida to South Carolina to visit my sister for Christmas. Mine has the 8speed, 3.92s and has the 20" wheels. Its stock except for the Mufflex muffler delete and vent visors. I averaged 20.2 MPG for the whole trip. My BIL was astonished that I got 20mpg. He has a 2010 F150 CCSB 4x4 with the 5.4L. He said he was lucky to get 17mpg. I had a 2005 F150 ECSB 4x4 5.4L so I know his pain LOL.

If you go over 70MPH, the MPG starts dropping dramatically. My commute is 27 miles each way. Its a mix of 45mph surface streets with many stoplights and 70mph freeway. The stop and go kills my MPG. That and too much fun pedal. I reset my MPG meter and its at 14.4MPG currently LOL.

Octane

Reaction score
I got a k10 that with very little wind and a flat highway and driving 55mph I sometimes can get 13 mpg.My hemi has about twice the horesepower,the same weight and gets 20 to a good 21 on that kind of highway.And if I run mds I can get 21 and sometimes a 22mpg but not often.Mds is a joke.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
My 2017 Ram 5.7 quad cab all stock I averaged 19.5 to 21.0 when I had 20K on her. I now have a 2019 Classic Warlock quad cab all stock and same tires and tire pressure as the last Ram. I am now averaging 15.7 to 17.0 for the same 2 hour trips I make every weekend. The only difference is the truck only has 1200 miles on it and I installed in channel vent visors. I expected a lower average during break in period but not 3 miles less per gallon. These trucks are almost identical except for the vent visors. I am not driving at high elevations either. Thoughts and experiences?

Different trucks.

Warlock has different suspension, pretty sure heavier rims and tires, not to mention slightly heavier truck.
compare payloads, Curb weights, rolling resistance of tires, that will be your Difference in MPG.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
Evic says 40mpg at like 75mph but I get like 25-26mpg.

ticat928

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You're running a diesel there. Is it the 2500?

Yes, it is running pretty good, only used 4 gal of DEF in 8000 miles including 8 hrs of idle while engine cold (do not have seat heaters LOL)