Hit pothole, lost power steering 2019 classic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thursday morning I hit a pothole, pretty good size, as soon as I hit, the eps went out, lost all power steering, warning message on the dash. Truck seems to be tracking straight, alignment seems to be decent yet, no broken parts, no bent tie rods, etc. Was hoping a simple power off, power on would clear the error, but no luck. Managed to get the truck back home, where I disconnected the battery for an extended period of time, still no luck. Pulled the codes after connecting to the steering module, there were 2. One was a c2217, not sure what the other was. I cleared the codes, again, no luck. It doesn't make sense to me that the rack would be the weak link in the steering system and that hitting a pothole would kill the rack yet not damage the other steering components. Is it possible I'm looking at possibly just needing an alignment and steering angle reset? Or am I looking at further damage and probably needing a steering rack?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Check the fuse on the battery terminal that feeds the steering rack, it should be around a 125A fuse. Check the wiring harness going to the rack, that may have come apart.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check the fuse on the battery terminal that feeds the steering rack, it should be around a 125A fuse. Check the wiring harness going to the rack, that may have come apart.
That's what I was thinking to. Since everything is electric check all the connections.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There's only 2 fuses, a 120 and a 180, both look intact. Connections on the rack seem intact. Nothing was loose.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There's only 2 fuses, a 120 and a 180, both look intact.
The 120A should go to the steering rack, the 180A is connected to the alternator/fuse box.
The steering rack on some of the early trucks('13-'14) with them were recalled for the circuit board problems. Not sure if it's a repairable/replaceable part though.

OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The 120A should go to the steering rack, the 180A is connected to the alternator/fuse box.
The steering rack on some of the early trucks('13-'14) with them were recalled for the circuit board problems. Not sure if it's a repairable/replaceable part though.
I checked the recalled numbers (even on some of the newer ones) and none match the part numbers on my steering rack.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Did you do a continuity test on the 120a fuse or just look at it ? Sometime a good looking fuse can be bad..
What ever you do find please update us, We do not have pot holes her in Maine we have craters :O

OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you do a continuity test on the 120a fuse or just look at it ? Sometime a good looking fuse can be bad..
What ever you do find please update us, We do not have pot holes her in Maine we have craters :O
Have not, haven't had a chance to grab my Meyer and check it.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After checking the wiiring, if you don't find anything, you might try the trick some have used to get EPS back (temporarily). Apply heat from a heat gun to the compartment where the controller is, to warm up the circuit board, then take it for a drive. If EPS comes back you might could pop out your circuit board and take a look at it for bad solder joints, ohm out the electric motor, ensure EPS board connections are good. If heating it works then you learned something.

OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Disconnected the wire from the 120a fuse on the battery. Started up and had absolutely no power steering, no input from the power steering. With it connected to the fuse, I have feedback (short bursts of lightly assisted steering) and the steering wheel wants to almost vibrate in place. Power wire disconnected, I have none of that. Leads me to believe the fuse is fine. As for applying heat, the weather has been above normal (50s almost 60s) and hasn't made a lick of difference in the state of the power steering.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Disconnected the wire from the 120a fuse on the battery. Started up and had absolutely no power steering, no input from the power steering. With it connected to the fuse, I have feedback (short bursts of lightly assisted steering) and the steering wheel wants to almost vibrate in place. Power wire disconnected, I have none of that. Leads me to believe the fuse is fine. As for applying heat, the weather has been above normal (50s almost 60s) and hasn't made a lick of difference in the state of the power steering.
The heat gun trick is not because it’s cold out. On circuit boards heat will swell solder and if there is a bad connection it often fixes it temporarily. I’ve used that for old plasma TVs a lot. You’ll find out more when the shop scans it tomorrow to see what errors it has.

OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe the shock from the pothole broke a gear (or in this case rack & pinion teeth) and the pulsation is it partially grabbing. If so, how big was that pothole?

View attachment 485809
When I drove by on the way back home. It didn't appear that large, and was only going 35-40 when I hit it. I'd find it hard to believe the rack would be the weak point in the system and not a rod end.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The heat gun trick is not because it’s cold out. On circuit boards heat will swell solder and if there is a bad connection it often fixes it temporarily.

Yep!!

You did check the connectors down by the steering rack and inspect the wires up, right?

OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The heat gun trick is not because it’s cold out. On circuit boards heat will swell solder and if there is a bad connection it often fixes it temporarily. I’ve used that for old plasma TVs a lot. You’ll find out more when the shop scans it tomorrow to see what errors it has.
I'm really hoping an alignment and steering angle reset is all that's needed. On the plus side, I found a rebuilt rack available on rockauto for fairly cheap (compared to a new oem unit at least).

Jim Carelas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L V6
When I drove by on the way back home. It didn't appear that large, and was only going 35-40 when I hit it. I'd find it hard to believe the rack would be the weak point in the system and not a rod end.
Please let us all know when you figure this out.!!

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
For the heck of it try changing the 120a fuse! And if it still does not help at least you have a spare .. I am really curious on what is causing this,So Yes please Update whaen you find out what the issue is

OP
OP
hunterdan

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For the heck of it try changing the 120a fuse! And if it still does not help at least you have a spare .. I am really curious on what is causing this,So Yes please Update whaen you find out what the issue is
I completely bypassed the fuse and had the same result. I dropped it off at the shop this morning. On the way there I stopped for gas. After getting gas, I had power steering for a turn then it triggered again and lost power steering.

_TopGear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
hello! So i had a similar issue and had to replace my PS rack last summer. i did find a cracked flange on the old power steering rack after replacing. I tried EVERYTHING before it came to that. My best guess is that the little amount of play the rack sees after trying to move throws the Steering angle off and makes it disable power steering.

my thread, not sure how helpful it will be