How do I totally switch off, or on, DRL.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JRI2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the LED lighting package on a Big Horn Sport. I has a LED ring around LED reflector headlights and brights.
In light configurator, you can choose DRL, which lights up the headlights in a dim mode, or not. But, the ring around them is always lit with ignition on. I’d like to have the ability to choose when to not have that ring lit, like when I’m parked and idling at night.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You’re talking about the white accent lighting, right? Another member quite some time ago asked about his on one of these new 5th-Gens with the fancy lighting but I don’t recall ever seeing what he did to fix it but just like I told him, if you’re good with custom wiring and relays, you could always just find the wires that goes to both headlights- cut them, tape the wire up good so they don’t ground out on anything and then take the wires you cut on the each headlight side, splice those together with a new wire and run it to a powered relay and then splice the trigger wire to your parking brake switch. That way when you’re idling and don’t want the lights to be on, you’d just simply set your parking brake to turn them off- kinda like how some of the older Chevys were set up factory to keep the headlight DRL’s off when parked but idling.

Hopefully there would be a special relay that would allow you to do that because when I had installed an aftermarket set of projectors on my old 2008 Ram, the lights had those white LEDs and the white CCFL‘s in them and the way the instructions said to hook them up was to splice each wire into the existing running light wire on each side but, I wanted the lights to be on all the time when the ignition was instead of just only being on with my headlights so I grabbed me a normal relay that I had ran power to from the battery, and then I ran my trigger wire with a fuse tap to the under-hood fuse box to a circuit that was only hot when the key was on.

If I would’ve thought about it, and if having the white lights on all the time was actually a problem, I could’ve done that with my old truck but having those lights on with the ignition never bothered me so I never figured out how to do it. Maybe one of the lighting and wiring gurus on here will chime in with better instructions on how to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
On my 2019 Lone Star, the DRLs are turned on/off through the radio interface under APPS. It in in the Settings section.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my 2019 Lone Star, the DRLs are turned on/off through the radio interface under APPS. It in in the Settings section.

He’s talking about the white accent lighting that’s always on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Add two change over or double throw relays wired to park brake indicator to power the relays
Power on relay open no lights

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have the LED lighting package on a Big Horn Sport. I has a LED ring around LED reflector headlights and brights.
In light configurator, you can choose DRL, which lights up the headlights in a dim mode, or not.

On my 20 the DRL is full power low beam. I tested it this morning... Absolutely no difference between Auto, Running and Off.

This was tested driving down the road, so while it still was a non-scientific test, my eyes are 20/20 and 20/30 so I feel quite confident in my statement.

NOTE: may be different in base halogen, or the Projector LED. In the "old" days I think they used a lower power on the halogen bulbs because it would allow them to last longer. I presume this because, not only did they used to appear dimmer, but my late father-in-law (an electrician) told me that they use 230v bulbs at 115v in traffic lights because it made them last so much longer.

OP
OP
J

JRI2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you all.
I later figured out that the DRLs are really the headlights at lower power.
That LED ring acts as the “parking lights”.
I think if I could cut power to those LED lights without causing a trouble code. If a code does come up, maybe I could put an error canceling resistor in-line.
I saw a company that customized those LED lights. They charge a pretty penny, close to $300, if I remember, just for the modified circuit boards that hold the LEDs.
I’ll try giving them a call, since most vendors ignore my oddball emails.
Thanks again, everyone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock