How far would you feel comfortable traveling with this setup? (pictures)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FrankInMO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I'll throw in my experience.

My camper was dry weight 6,100 lbs, tongue weight in the low 600's per the factory door sticker. With cargo and a new hybrid mattress in the bedroom at the nose I would say I'm close to 850 lbs.

Tow rig was a 2019 Ram 1500, 5.7L, per the owners site max towing is 8,700 lbs. I bought a Reese Pro Series WD, round bar/chains rated for 1,000 lbs and a sway control add on in the kit. I live in the Ozarks and it towed fine even climbing and descending steep hills. It squatted but nothing bottomed out, even hitting potholes, and rode level with little sway. Driving 65 max 99% of the time got 11 to 12 mpg, normally I was at 16 city/21 highway. I was real impressed with mileage for a gas half ton.

I did trade it in last weekend for a 2500 Cummins because we planned to in 5 years anyway and the money was more than right (half tons are inflated right now). While the 1500 was capable I felt like as often as we were using it I was putting enough extra wear and tear on it that it would impact condition and resale at the end of 5 years. Trans would run a little hot, low 200's but getting up to low 220's if I had to accelerate any while climbing (happens often here) or getting out of a bad situation on the interstate. I also sometimes had a bit of an issue (but not impossible) inching it in if the front of the campsite had some incline to it.

Haven't towed on the 2500 yet, will put it through the paces this Friday.

Bill Blackmon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First is your hitch rated for the load you will be pulling? Second never tow anything over a thousand pounds unless you have LT rated tires. i am a retired engineer for Pirelli and we had many claims from people that tried to tow cars and campers without using LT rated tires and a lot had really bad experiences either having flats or accidents.

sam darakjy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have never heard
You do not need E rated tires to tow. First off, the tires that you have will be fine. Stock OEM Goodyears have a 114 load index rating and I have towed my trailer with them the first trip out. I upgraded my tires just because I didn't like the wet weather performance and purchased Nitto Terra Grappler G2's. 116 load index for the tire and they were XL rated. Same weight as the factory Goodyears. Changing to an E rated tire will add more rotational mass (heavier tire, not needed). It will eventually shorten the life of your brakes and wear your suspension if not the front wheel bearing eventually.

Your trailer is well within specs of the truck for towing. Just don't load up heavy.

That and an E rated tire will kill your gas mileage when not towing.

I have never heard of anyone on this forum advise someone to tow a heavy load like that without 10 ply tires. Whatever! Why on earth would anyone who has a V8 truck towing 8k lbs be worried about gas mileage over safety. Bad advise all around.

OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I give credit to the OP for seeking advice from the experienced members here.
Thank you sir... exactly. As much as it kills me, I might have to consider selling my sports car to afford to buy a 3/4 ton truck, just to be on the safe side. We paid I think around $3000 for lifetime warranty, and I have no intentions of selling that truck. All this makes me wish we had bought a 3/4 ton truck in 2016... but then again that would have been above our price point what we were comfortable spending. Lots to think about.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I am sure how far to tow will give as many opinions about how much to tow.

Me. 200 miles and I am ready to camp. Plenty to see within 200 miles of me to keep me happy for a long time.

I have thought about doing a long trip and keep getting hung up on only wanting to drive 200 miles.

I have 2 questions for you, about this long tow @breal201999

When you make this long haul...you planning on doing it in ine shot?

Or are you planning several stops to get to the finish?.

We have always decided we had to do 2 nights at a spot. So are plan was to leave at Sun up with a destination we would arrive at no later than 4 pm.

Then stay the night and relax the next day. Then the following morning, leave again to arrive at the next destination. Repeat.

I would say for me. 200 miles...gas food bathroom...200 miles...same...200 miles and done would be max for a day.

There is a full timer RV blog I read one time. It said the 3 2's of traveling. Travel no more than 2 hrs, arrive no less than 2hrs before dusk and stay no less than 2 nights.

And for the next opinion.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have never heard

I have never heard of anyone on this forum advise someone to tow a heavy load like that without 10 ply tires. Whatever! Why on earth would anyone who has a V8 truck towing 8k lbs be worried about gas mileage over safety. Bad advise all around.

Reason being is there is no such thing as a 10 ply tire now days - they are 10 ply equivalent and I can tell you for a fact the E Load rated Michelin Defender does not have stiff sidewalls - they are very soft, about the same as the standard load. However they can be aired up more to dissipate heat a bit better than the standard load. Even at 60-65 psi, the Defenders don't really ride that rough due to the soft sidewall.

You also have P metric XL load tires that spec out within a couple of hundred lbs of E Load - ex. load rating of 119 for XL and 121 for E.

ALL tires - standard load on up can carry a load greater than the axle rating of the truck - which is 3900-3950 lbs.
The stock OE SRA's are rated at a max load of 2601 lbs.
XL's @119 load is 2998 lbs.
E load@121 load is 3195 lbs.

E load tires do excel when it comes to puncture resistance over most standard load - especially the wimpy OE SRA tires.

Sidewall stiffness will vary by the tire brand.

On a 2500, it is a very different story.

OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 2 questions for you, about this long tow @breal201999

When you make this long haul...you planning on doing it in ine shot?

Or are you planning several stops to get to the finish?.
Based on my first experience, it's going to take much, much longer to get from point A to point B. The plan was to take 2 weeks vacation (home is in S.W. Missouri), hoping that would allow for plenty of time for a trip to Yellowstone. That's 1,200 miles away, one way. I haven't laid out any travel itinerary, but we would have to stay within that two week guideline. I think at most we would get 600 miles a day... but that's just a huge guess on how comfortable I'll feel. It would take 2 days to get there, 2 days back averaging 600 miles a day... but realistically probably 3 days each. That would leave 8 days to venture.

I've gone 15 hours straight before... but that was in a car, without kids... and I know that's not reasonable!

Sailor K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To OP: What did you see at the scale? Weights per axle before the WDH and after the WDH? Everything else is theory and opinion. The scale presents real data.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I have never heard

Yup, because having your suspension, your brakes and your wheel bearings wear out prematurely is safe too right? Been there, done that. Crap gas mileage is just another part of it. Buying an XL rated tire with a stiffer sidewall and a higher load rating is better. What the OP said he bought a tire that suited his needs that has a higher load index than OEM and asked if those would be fine for towing. Are they, yes.

@pacofortacos points out some good info on the tires.

Just because a point of view is different than yours, doesn't mean it's bad.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Let us show you the numbers.

Payload of 1372. Your GVWR is 6900. This means your base weight is 5528.

Your GCWR is 13800. Your max tow...8272...yeah that is everything added to the truck. Cause 13800 minus 5528 is 8272. See...not even a driver allowance.

So do you see...your truck can not tow 8272 lbs.

So 5528...you say a family of 4. Lets just say 600.

5528 plus 600 is 6128...you have 772lbs left.

You said the UVW of the trailer was 4676 with a 568 TW. That is 12% TW....so at 7600 that would be 912. So lets say you got lucky and only packed it half way. So we will use 740.

You have 32 lbs left. But the hitch weighs about 100lbs.

So you are over.

Those are the numbers. Very interested to see what the scale says.

Good luck. Hope the scale says it will work.

If you pack light or take 2 vehicles...you got this.
Let us show you the numbers.

Payload of 1372. Your GVWR is 6900. This means your base weight is 5528.

Your GCWR is 13800. Your max tow...8272...yeah that is everything added to the truck. Cause 13800 minus 5528 is 8272. See...not even a driver allowance.

So do you see...your truck can not tow 8272 lbs.

So 5528...you say a family of 4. Lets just say 600.

5528 plus 600 is 6128...you have 772lbs left.

You said the UVW of the trailer was 4676 with a 568 TW. That is 12% TW....so at 7600 that would be 912. So lets say you got lucky and only packed it half way. So we will use 740.

You have 32 lbs left. But the hitch weighs about 100lbs.

So you are over.

Those are the numbers. Very interested to see what the scale says.

Good luck. Hope the scale says it will work.

If you pack light or take 2 vehicles...you got this.
Agre with this, and possibly your tongue weight is going to be closer to 15% with the trailer storage configuration. You're going to have to travel on the light side, buy food, drinks, propane once at your destination, and you're going to have to leave the bed empty. Those of us that are advising that you are going to be past capacity just want you and your family to arrive safe. You can't add payload capacity to the truck, so you can only reduce the weight of the towed vehicle. Good luck, and hope you enjoy your new truck and trailer.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Your trailer hitch-- Is a load leveling hitch, not a sway control hitch, it keeps the truck level with the trailer, thats its design.

His WDH looks like a husky centerline to me. Definitely has sway control built in, their cheaper model using chains is the one that doesn't have sway control.

OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Agre with this, and possibly your tongue weight is going to be closer to 15% with the trailer storage configuration. You're going to have to travel on the light side, buy food, drinks, propane once at your destination, and you're going to have to leave the bed empty. Those of us that are advising that you are going to be past capacity just want you and your family to arrive safe. You can't add payload capacity to the truck, so you can only reduce the weight of the towed vehicle. Good luck, and hope you enjoy your new truck and trailer.
Thank you, I do appreciate it. We want an adventure, and Yellowstone may be too far out of our reach for this set up. I too want to arrive safe. We may just have to do close camp sites, and figure out another solution for trying to get that far away.

OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
He shows the scale slip. The numbers were good.

And that's a point that confuses me so much!!! If the numbers look good from the scales (which I figured would be a deciding factor having the real world data in hand), why are some indicating it is a death wish, and others say all looks fine? I was hoping more for a one sided yea/nay... or "I'd stick to 200 mile radius with that kind of setup" or "keep to flat roads and avoid Smokey Mountains, Colorado, etc"...

Honestly, camping isn't for me... it's something my wife wants to do, and I want to give my kids experiences I didn't have. If I was being selfish, I wouldn't have bought it to begin with! Or, would have waited until it was just her and I when we retired, and just get a little 20 footer with a queen bed, kitchen and bathroom would be just fine.

Again, to everyone reading this, I'm not trying to argue. I'm trying to provide the data, best to my abilities, and looking for expert opinions. I've gotten a lot of feedback, and there are some changes I will put on a list for things to do (air bags, rear sway bar, better but not 'E' tires, replace spare truck tire with a full size, get a spare for the trailer, swap rear diff fluid, how to load the truck and trailer better, along with some others).

OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Tony1945

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2019
Engine
V8
My wife and I have been looking high and low for a right fit for our truck. I know we're toward the top end on the scale, and everything is purchased, so no going back now... having said that, what type of trip would you feel comfortable doing with this setup? Two adults, and two pre-teens.

2016 Ram 1500, 3.21 gears, crew cab, 5.7 Hemi.

2018 Coleman Lantern 274bh.
28.58 feet in length
Dry weight 4676 + Payload Capacity 2924 = GCWR 7600
Hitch Weight 568

I have added a Husky 32218 Center Line TS weight distribution bar.

Knowing all this, and being my first time hauling something this size... is this setup capable of cross country traveling into the mountains? Or is this really more of a setup for 200-300 mile local camp sites?

The best part, everything is paid for! Upgrading to a bigger truck isn't an option for me, because we have the MOPAR lifetime warranty... so I'm invested in this truck and don't plan to replace it.

What say you? And thanks for the opinions!
View attachment 223266
View attachment 223267
It’s been a while but we always added
*I* would take it to the mountains.

I don’t recommend you do it. Because you have no experience. Maxed out on towing + mountain driving is a recipe for something bad.

Simply take a few short trips close to home and see how you feel and how the combination handles. It doesn’t have to be all or nothing.

I’d never recommend a major trip with a brand new RV anyway. Shakedown cruises close to home are always best for new rigs.

PS your first trip should be to the scales, loaded for camping. It will be informative.

it,
My wife and I have been looking high and low for a right fit for our truck. I know we're toward the top end on the scale, and everything is purchased, so no going back now... having said that, what type of trip would you feel comfortable doing with this setup? Two adults, and two pre-teens.

2016 Ram 1500, 3.21 gears, crew cab, 5.7 Hemi.

2018 Coleman Lantern 274bh.
28.58 feet in length
Dry weight 4676 + Payload Capacity 2924 = GCWR 7600
Hitch Weight 568

I have added a Husky 32218 Center Line TS weight distribution bar.

Knowing all this, and being my first time hauling something this size... is this setup capable of cross country traveling into the mountains? Or is this really more of a setup for 200-300 mile local camp sites?

The best part, everything is paid for! Upgrading to a bigger truck isn't an option for me, because we have the MOPAR lifetime warranty... so I'm invested in this truck and don't plan to replace it.

What say you? And thanks for the opinions!
View attachment 223266
it’s be a while but I alway added a sway bar

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
And that's a point that confuses me so much!!! If the numbers look good from the scales (which I figured would be a deciding factor having the real world data in hand), why are some indicating it is a death wish, and others say all looks fine? I was hoping more for a one sided yea/nay... or "I'd stick to 200 mile radius with that kind of setup" or "keep to flat roads and avoid Smokey Mountains, Colorado, etc"...

Honestly, camping isn't for me... it's something my wife wants to do, and I want to give my kids experiences I didn't have. If I was being selfish, I wouldn't have bought it to begin with! Or, would have waited until it was just her and I when we retired, and just get a little 20 footer with a queen bed, kitchen and bathroom would be just fine.

Again, to everyone reading this, I'm not trying to argue. I'm trying to provide the data, best to my abilities, and looking for expert opinions. I've gotten a lot of feedback, and there are some changes I will put on a list for things to do (air bags, rear sway bar, better but not 'E' tires, replace spare truck tire with a full size, get a spare for the trailer, swap rear diff fluid, how to load the truck and trailer better, along with some others).

What I did at first was look at the numbers. Going off of GVWR on the trailer I would have said no way. But, as is usual, when you hit the scale I saw that you were nowhere near that capacity

When I could see your axle weights...i could see that your truck had some wiggle room.

Now...i know you were not completely loaded for the trip. But, I also knew you were going a short distance...and from the conversation...saw you understood that you would be at the higher end of the spectrum. And you planned to drive safe with lots of precautions.

Terrain has much more to do with the capacities than the actual numbers. In some scenarios you can be near max...when others it would be down right dangerous.

I did learn from this conversation. The newer trailers have alot more carrying capacity and there is more of a chance for someone to tow them closer to unlaiden weight than gross.

And I think that is where you lucked out.

I think the trip you have planned is very doable. If you can keep stuff out of the truck and the camper light.

And 600 miles a day isn't crazy. Figuring on about 200 miles til gas, then repeat and repeat.

I am in. Would caravan with you if I could