How much Lubeguard Biotech

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a lolli pop? How much moly will it take to end hemi tick? Well average oil is 60-75ppm moly. Adding 15 ounces should boost you up 100ppm or so, maybe a little more. It is no coincidence higher the moly, the better the tick killing ability. So over regular oil lubegard is reported to have a 50% success rate and Redline has about an 80% on ram forum. The other difference is lubegard is around 20 weight oil, on the low end of that at 6.64 operating temp visc. I say that because if 15 ounces doesnt kill the tick, instead of adding more that will thin the oil, it might be time to consider 5w30 redline. Moly also can take some time to plate, good to have some high rpm's as well, not redline just some decent tachs 3-4 range. It can take 500-1700 miles, np joke we have had trucks tick after moly treatment that went silent at 1700 miles and 2300 miles. Generally speaking 500 miles is average of it didnt go quiet right away. my hemi tick took about 500 miles on the nose and now has been gone for the most of the decade. consider a royal purple 20-820 royal purple filter with that. good luck

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I should add 50/50 ticks are exhaust bolts are lifters, rule out exhaust bolts, get under there and inspect manifold bolts.

redline high performance oil is 450+ ppm moly, 5w30 the most proven lubrication strategy paired with a good filter.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I'm going to use the biotech stuff to kill my hemi-tick until the next oil change, but how much do I add? Just 15oz?

IMO, using an oil strategy Red Line 5w/30 and a Royal Purple 20-820 oil filter as @Burla suggested is good advice.

You didn't state your current year model HEMI or mileage or how long your HEMI has been ticking ... just curious.

I made the move to Red Line 5w/30 because after hearing then reading here in the ramforums about the possibility of/or lifter/cam failure on the 4th G HEMI powered RAM trucks.

My HEMI is currently low miles and I decided to "band-aid it" early rather than waiting for the possibility of it to implode and then having to take it it back to the dealer and deal with the bs.

I feel that I made a good decision on moving over to Red Line oil ... my 2017 HEMI is quite and runs super smooth.

Good luck.

JHoward

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You never know.

For example:

My Uncle Bob was the sweetest man you could ever meet. A coal miner his whole life in SW West Virginia. Hillbilly as could be (Not downing him, either).

Well, Uncle Bob and Aunt Jenny had a car, an early '70s Plymouth, etc. They drove very little. Bob was in his 80's then and Jenny was in her late 60's.

One day, my cousin Sam stopped by Bob and Jenny's house, and Uncle Bob has the hood up, and the garden hose pulled over to the car.

Sam says, "What's going on, Bob?". Bob answeres, "Putting water in the car". Sam walks up, and sees that Bob has taken the oil fill cap off the valve cover, and has filled the engine to the top with water. Sam arrived just in time to save the day.

One of those thing you never forget. That has been about 45 years ago now.

Sorry to get off-track a bit, this thread jogged my memory. I miss those simpler times.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'm pretty sure we know what the man meant.

The interesting thing, makes me think about whether lubegard would make a good UCL over what the market has out there? I doubt it would hurt anything, and perhaps may end up being a great UCL. However, since it is not PEA, I'd consider it only a possible UCL and not a cleaner like we like to see with si-1 and amsoil pi.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes this was a typo I meant crankcase, not tank you'll know what I meant!!!
Well, I think we all do, but, THERE is always that 1 person that reads Everything Literally.

OP
OP
B

broteinshake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IMO, using an oil strategy Red Line 5w/30 and a Royal Purple 20-820 oil filter as @Burla suggested is good advice.

You didn't state your current year model HEMI or mileage or how long your HEMI has been ticking ... just curious.

I made the move to Red Line 5w/30 because after hearing then reading here in the ramforums about the possibility of/or lifter/cam failure on the 4th G HEMI powered RAM trucks.

My HEMI is currently low miles and I decided to "band-aid it" early rather than waiting for the possibility of it to implode and then having to take it it back to the dealer and deal with the bs.

I feel that I made a good decision on moving over to Red Line oil ... my 2017 HEMI is quite and runs super smooth.

Good luck.

JHoward
128824 miles, 2014 ram 1500 sport. I just bought it like 4 weeks ago. Runs perfectly aside from the ticking when it's cold. Immaculate interior with some paint chipping on the outside.

djnelson5460

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I started using Lubegard in my Hemi when it already had 25K miles or so on it, after reading forums on here. I put in one 15oz bottle of it with 6.5 quarts of oil- equals 7 quarts total. Ive put 50,000 miles on my truck with that combo changing the oil every 5k miles with no ticking or issues. If your truck still has oil in it and is close to the full line, you may want to drain out a quart, put in a 15oz bottle of Lubegard, and add little amounts of frest oil to bring it back up to the full mark.

Rodney Belair

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Keep telling y'all to run Rislone every other oil change. 17 Ram with 65000 miles. I use Valvoline with a WIX filter and have hardly any tick.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yes this was a typo I meant crankcase, not tank you'll know what I meant!!!
Well it was more fun when we thought you did put it in your tank.
:oops::D

And as Burla will tell you, the hemis are happier the more you add Moly. It's so good, I think Burla puts lubeguard on his pancakes,

Snoopy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bandaiding it. 10k will cure it tryst me I know.