How much oil is too much in the 5.7l hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marmay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi,in the last oil change ,by mistake I put too much oil in the engine,dipstick shows the level is about 1/4" above the max hole,engine is working great,no issues, should I be worried about it,and taking some oil out of the engine?

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi,in the last oil change ,by mistake I put too much oil in the engine,dipstick shows the level is about 1/4" above the max hole,engine is working great,no issues, should I be worried about it,and taking some oil out of the engine?
If I check my oil first thing in the morning after sitting all night, my dipstick shows overfilled. If I run it a bit and bring it up to temp and go get gas, if I wait five minutes and check the oil like the owners manual states, I am at the high end of the dipstick. My daughters 2022 Wrangler is the same way. Shows overfilled on cold engine, but right at full after running to operating temperature and checking five minutes after shut down. Its all over the Wrangler forums about being over filled.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I check all our vehicles cold after they sit overnight. My Ram is always about a 1/4 quart over.

Many Ram owners are running slightly over full as this engine has oil starvation issues at the cam.

IMO I would keep the oil full or slightly over the full mark than run them anywhere below that.

Gary Fields

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check oil after driving. If the crank is slinging oil you'll have air bubbles and frothy appearance. I doubt that quarter inch is anything to worry about.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have put 8 quarts in since new which was 14 years ago. I always thought the dip stick must not be in right, but just rolled with it never foamed so I know I'm good. So if your oil level is to high it will foam up, then you want to take some out. check tight after a trip, any trip, not after it sits.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Depends on the oil. Premium oils will never foam.
They'll foam brother, the defoamers break surface retention after they foam. I think Corey recently posted this in syn thread. That is why you have to check right after a trip, because if it sits the foam will break up especially with high quality oils. Check back syn thread on video on foam.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
They'll foam brother, the defoamers break surface retention after they foam. I think Corey recently posted this in syn thread. That is why you have to check right after a trip, because if it sits the foam will break up especially with high quality oils. Check back syn thread on video on foam.

HPL showed their oil in the foam test, they inject air directly into the oil and measure how many ML's of volume the sample grows by. Some standards allow up to 50 ML, HPL has 0.

Amsoil apparently same thing. Perhaps other oils as well, I just happened to see the one with HPL.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
HPL showed their oil in the foam test, they inject air directly into the oil and measure how many ML's of volume the sample grows by. Some standards allow up to 50 ML, HPL has 0.

Amsoil apparently same thing. Perhaps other oils as well, I just happened to see the one with HPL.
Another reason to try their 0w30 super car oil. How much is the ram forum discount off the 330 a case price? The high tbn could justify a longer interval, so change oil less often yet another great reason. But assuming he doesn't have HPL in his truck, foam is a sign of starting oil level too high.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Another reason to try their 0w30 super car oil. How much is the ram forum discount off the 330 a case price? The high tbn could justify a longer interval, so change oil less often yet another great reason. But assuming he doesn't have HPL in his truck, foam is a sign of starting oil level too high.

I'm just running the cheapest PCMO, all their oils are the same that way, 0 foam allowed and they test each batch. The discount is "bitog15" so 15 percent off whatever the order is.

That link you listed isn't HP Lubricants though, that's the "HPL" stuff which is a separate oil produced by HP Lubricants for that company. I should probably stop using "HPL" and instead write "HP Lubricants" to distinguish them, the stuff a few of us here on ramforum run comes from this site, and super car is one of the options:

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm being told that if you put eight quarts into an empty 5.7 oil pan the level will still be lower than the windage tray.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 110358 miles.

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
I have ran mine almost an inch over full before and never sweated it. I run my truck hard too. Foaming issues are not really a thing anymore, I would rather have too much oil than not enough. Typically I'm anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 over the mark.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you doubt your oil will foam, try putting it in the blender and see for yourself. But the foam isn't the issue, it is the canary in the gold mine, it alerts you to what is coming.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I saw a video a while ago where they dyno tested a (chevy LS?) engine with varying amounts of oil and recorded the HP losses as levels increased. It was surprisingly significant too. But I just fill mine up to the top of the dipstick and it stays there (doesn't use a drop) until I swap it out about 7000 miles later.

With the pacbrake relocation kit and the bigger filter, I think it worked out to exactly 7 quarts last time I did it. Can't remember, either 6 or 7 but it was an exact number of quarts with no leftover. Just an extra perk of running the kit and filter combo.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I saw a video a while ago where they dyno tested a (chevy LS?) engine with varying amounts of oil and recorded the HP losses as levels increased. It was surprisingly significant too. But I just fill mine up to the top of the dipstick and it stays there (doesn't use a drop) until I swap it out about 7000 miles later.

With the pacbrake relocation kit and the bigger filter, I think it worked out to exactly 7 quarts last time I did it. Can't remember, either 6 or 7 but it was an exact number of quarts with no leftover. Just an extra perk of running the kit and filter combo.
Quarts or Litres?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AxleFolly