How-To: 4th gen hemi cam installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jtouch81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It does get in the oil when you swap the cam.. make sure to do an oil change after your done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ram1500Josh2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Amazing write up, I created a post outside of this because my lifter in cylinder 2 has failed and I am going to be doing this project. I am very nervous but excited. The questions I have are listed below. I have also decided to hire a ASE certified mechanic to help with this project on the side, with COVID-19 I thought I could help people and also have fun with the confidence of having someone right there helping me. The shops around here want 95-125 hr for this job and telling me it will be about 14-20 hrs for the job. I figured if I paid 25hr under the table to a mechanic for a few weekends I would come out way better. Thoughts ?

1. What Kits comes with everything you need to do this project ? I love the Greene Racing Thump Cam, but I don't think it comes with all the gaskets needed.

2. What else would you upgrade while you have the motor torn down? Example Upgrade the TB, Electric fan swap ? ARP Head Studs? Etc.....

3. Thoughts on what else I should do ? I own my truck and I would love not having to trade it in on a brand new civic as I just purchased a brand new VW Atlas for my Fiancé as we are expecting our 1st child. So I have already spent enough on a new car for this year. So while I have it broken down and torn apart I want to ensure I get everything I need to fix this truck and try to ensure it last another 2 years. I figured my average truck payment when I had this truck was 450 a month if I x 12 =5400 which this will be my budget. If I get 2 years out of this truck after spending this much to fix it then it was worth keeping.

Thanks everyone!!!

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
Amazing write up, I created a post outside of this because my lifter in cylinder 2 has failed and I am going to be doing this project. I am very nervous but excited. The questions I have are listed below. I have also decided to hire a ASE certified mechanic to help with this project on the side, with COVID-19 I thought I could help people and also have fun with the confidence of having someone right there helping me. The shops around here want 95-125 hr for this job and telling me it will be about 14-20 hrs for the job. I figured if I paid 25hr under the table to a mechanic for a few weekends I would come out way better. Thoughts ?

1. What Kits comes with everything you need to do this project ? I love the Greene Racing Thump Cam, but I don't think it comes with all the gaskets needed.

2. What else would you upgrade while you have the motor torn down? Example Upgrade the TB, Electric fan swap ? ARP Head Studs? Etc.....

3. Thoughts on what else I should do ? I own my truck and I would love not having to trade it in on a brand new civic as I just purchased a brand new VW Atlas for my Fiancé as we are expecting our 1st child. So I have already spent enough on a new car for this year. So while I have it broken down and torn apart I want to ensure I get everything I need to fix this truck and try to ensure it last another 2 years. I figured my average truck payment when I had this truck was 450 a month if I x 12 =5400 which this will be my budget. If I get 2 years out of this truck after spending this much to fix it then it was worth keeping.

Thanks everyone!!!

GL with the build. I don't have a budget for this, even though I have the appetite for it!

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
bring it all up here. I have enough garage space to work in :)

Ram1500Josh2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is what I got thus far from Greene Racing

.5 HL .5 Thump Cam, custom locators, shims, phaser limiter, lightweight retainers, hardened pushrods, full set of Hellcat lifters and PAC 1211x springs.

Parts needed

Tuner: What tuner is everyone running and where can I get one.
I am going to be getting all new gaskets from the dealership, Or is there a shop that sells better ones ?
ARP Headstuds
Am I missing anything here ? Should I do the underdrive pulley ?

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune

.5 HL .5 Thump Cam, custom locators, shims, phaser limiter, lightweight retainers, hardened pushrods, full set of Hellcat lifters and PAC 1211x springs.

Parts needed

I am going to be getting all new gaskets from the dealership, Or is there a shop that sells better ones ?
ARP Headstuds

at the beginning of the thread, I think he suggest the underdrive pulley mod too.

What kind of HP are people getting from the mod, with a Green tune for instance.

Ram1500Josh2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
at the beginning of the thread, I think he suggest the underdrive pulley mod too.

What kind of HP are people getting from the mod, with a Green tune for instance.

I have researched and read they are getting roughly 30hp, I looked for the under drive damper but its another 450 dollars, this project keeps going up in price. I think I might just trade it in lol. Looks like I be driving a civic till I can get a new Ram

Ram1500Josh2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have researched and read they are getting roughly 30hp, I looked for the under drive damper but its another 450 dollars, this project keeps going up in price. I think I might just trade it in lol. Looks like I be driving a civic till I can get a new Ram

Here is the great Debate, Ramily.... IS there a such thing as a hell cat lifter. After some in depth research it seems they are the same lifters for every hemi built after 2015. Apparently Chrysler knew the flaws in the lifters and beefed them up. Thoughts on this ?

Doodoo972

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks man to share your knowledge
Great job and great post.

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Here is the great Debate, Ramily.... IS there a such thing as a hell cat lifter. After some in depth research it seems they are the same lifters for every hemi built after 2015. Apparently Chrysler knew the flaws in the lifters and beefed them up. Thoughts on this ?

Surprised this didn't spark discussion. I like the the term hellcat lifter and I'm about to drop 16 of em in my truck. I sure the f hope they're different because I'm doing this due to a presumed failed lifter.

I'll somewhat know in the next 24 hours, mine is an early '16 and I'll definitely be comparing to see who's needle is bigger.

I've also read "the fix" was implemented in mid 16 so your info may be correct with slight adjustment to the date.

Yours is the only details I've heard of for what "the fix" was and by far the easiest fix from the possibilities of what a fix could have been.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Parts needed

ARP Headstuds

I'd just go for the ARP head bolts instead of the studs,if you ever have to pull the heads off,you'll hate those studs,been there/done that,lol

bigrob713

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
In the OP's pictures, the rocker arm assembly appears to have wire circlips that help locate the rockers in position. Mine do not have these. Should they? I just had a bent pushrod on cylinder 6 and the rocker was off to the side of the intake valve.

gapi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
No, the angle of the push rod onto the rocker keeps it located against the square washer on the tube.

Slack may have let your push rod come out of the socket enough to be pushed by the socket lip and bend?
Bad lifter, cracker spring?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

How many miles on the engine? If it's getting up in milege,and you happen to have revved it fairly high ,either with your foot through the floor or a high rpm downshift and the springs are getting tired you might have ran into valve float,which will unseat the pushrod from the rocker arm,then usually the push rod becomes the weak link as it'll get jammed into the side of the push rod hole or against the rocker arm and bends.Or worst case scenero,the lifter and cam went south on you,and the lifter has dropped enough to unseat the pushrod. My 14 never had the circlips either,i don't know what year they went away from them,or if Kurtis might of added them himself.He's not on here very often anymore,you can track him down on High Performance Rams or Tuned Rams on facebook usually.You're looking for Kurtis Holland on either page. I'll tell him to check in though,he's only a 10 minute drive from me.
Just fired a message off to Kurtis,hopefully he'll check in later

Last edited: