How To Add Heated/Ventelated seats and Heated Wheel to Express/Tradesman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Baggio95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
This can actually be done either way pretty simply. Is actually not difficult at all to just remove the whole harness from the 2012 seat and use it in the 2013 seat. Of course you could never do this if the seats had any type of heating or heating and ventilation options because they are simply not compatible with the truck but just to get the basic functions to work you would be OK. As far as the airbags go there's nothing saying they wouldn't work but I could not find any cross reference between the two part numbers where they said they interceded each other. When I put the part number for the 2013 and up seats it said it was a compatible for a 2012 Ram, but that also doesn't mean anything sometimes because in many cases they are not accurate. The part number for the 2016 was
68239854AA
The 2012 was 52029429AA
If you were able to wire yours up and you don't have any issues or air bag warning lights then that would lead us to believe that maybe the 2016 airbag will work in the 2012.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Rick,
You're 100% correct, I didn't have any problems with the airbag and triggering the light on the dash. We have a separate yellow 4 pin (2 pins are empty) for our airbag and I just unpinned the 2 airbag wires from the 14 pin connector on the '13 seat and plugged them into the appropriate slots on the Yellow 4 pin. When I have more time I'll make it a cleaner and more permanent fix by removing the airbag wires from the 4 pin and putting them into an empty slot on the Female 14 pin.

The only thing that I have to go back and check is the seat belt sensor. It's not registering that it's fastened so I may have reversed the wires. I have to get back underneath and track the wires to make sure.

I'm also pretty sure that I'll be able to get the seat heater/ventilation functioning by using a aftermarket harness and switch since we don't have any of the fancy touchscreen dash stuff. Just haven't had the time and the weather has been a little cold.

I'll try and put some pics up soon. One thing I couldn't find was a seat wiring diagram for the 2012.

I put a 1" spacer on the rear brackets that bolt to the floor and I can say that that combined with the electric seat has truly been a tremendous improvement over the stock manual fabric seat. I can actually drive some distance again.

Thanks again for all your help!

Baggio95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Here's a couple of quick pics. You can see I de-pinned the 14 pin connector on the '13 seat and inserted the wires I needed in the female 14 pin on my '12 vehicle harness. This is the quick and easy way until I finish the heater. Once that's done I'll de-pin the wires I don't need and put them all in the 14 pin to clean it up.

If you pop off the red plastic retainer on the '13+ seat it's a lot easier to remove the pins from the harness.

20190228_130156_HDR.jpg

20190228_130301_HDR.jpg

20190228_130221_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wanted to mention I was able to get my memory seats to function. To the best if my knowledge it has not been done yet on a truck that did not come with the heated/vented seat wiring from the factory. Besides the basic seat harness that you have to install for the seats to function there are four more wires you need to run. Two of the wires go from the yellow drivers side seat connector pin# 5 CAN + Wht/LB and pin# 6 CAN- Wht to the can connector behind the parking brake pedal. There are two more wires that need also to be run from the yellow seat connector to the drivers side door harness which are pin# 2 Memory select switch return VT/YL and pin# 13 Memory select switch MUX VT/BR. You will need to enable the codes with the alfa tool tool for the Memory seats plus the easy exit seat. If you have memory mirrors you can also enable the memory mirrors with the alpha tool and they will work as well. You can tell if you have memory mirrors by pulling the door panel and checking to see if you have more than four wires in the white mirror connector. If it does it's a memory mirror. Most memory mirrors are going to be the chrome Laramie style mirrors. Mine seems to work great. 052a46b54f155b8f04488b92432f725a.jpg

fearroyo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Wanted to mention I was able to get my memory seats to function. To the best if my knowledge it has not been done yet on a truck that did not come with the heated/vented seat wiring from the factory. Besides the basic seat harness that you have to install for the seats to function there are four more wires you need to run. Two of the wires go from the yellow drivers side seat connector pin# 5 CAN + Wht/LB and pin# 6 CAN- Wht to the can connector behind the parking brake pedal. There are two more wires that need also to be run from the yellow seat connector to the drivers side door harness which are pin# 2 Memory select switch return VT/YL and pin# 13 Memory select switch MUX VT/BR. You will need to enable the codes with the alfa tool tool for the Memory seats plus the easy exit seat. If you have memory mirrors you can also enable the memory mirrors with the alpha tool and they will work as well. You can tell if you have memory mirrors by pulling the door panel and checking to see if you have more than four wires in the white mirror connector. If it does it's a memory mirror. Most memory mirrors are going to be the chrome Laramie style mirrors. Mine seems to work great. 052a46b54f155b8f04488b92432f725a.jpg

I'd like to get my mem seats working. Do you have the part # for the pins needed in the yellow, can, and the door connector?

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd like to get my mem seats working. Do you have the part # for the pins needed in the yellow, can, and the door connector?
I can't find the part# I used. I actually installed the one going to the CAN a while ago. The pins for the door harness and the seat connector are the same. So you would need six pins of the same part# and then the two pins for the CAN connector and the connector itself. I will see if I can get the actuall part#s

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also want to mention the memory seems to be working fine but I have to push the button on the seat. I haven't been able to get it to link to the key fob yet so it automatically adjusts when I get in the truck.. I am probably missing a code or something but wanted to mention it.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also want to mention the memory seems to be working fine but I have to push the button on the seat. I haven't been able to get it to link to the key fob yet so it automatically adjusts when I get in the truck.. I am probably missing a code or something but wanted to mention it.

If the seats (or at least the memory module) came from a used vehicle, you might need to clear the data from the memory module. It can only store up to 2 keyfobs for the keyfob-to-setting memory recall feature, so if the previous owner stored them, you wont be able to until its cleared.

Someone else had this issue and it turns out the truck gives you zero feedback as to why the settings dont actually save.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the seats (or at least the memory module) came from a used vehicle, you might need to clear the data from the memory module. It can only store up to 2 keyfobs for the keyfob-to-setting memory recall feature, so if the previous owner stored them, you wont be able to until its cleared.

Someone else had this issue and it turns out the truck gives you zero feedback as to why the settings dont actually save.
Good idea thanks. It may also be a code I still need. I will go.in and see if I can clear the module of I can't get it to work.

fearroyo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I can't find the part# I used. I actually installed the one going to the CAN a while ago. The pins for the door harness and the seat connector are the same. So you would need six pins of the same part# and then the two pins for the CAN connector and the connector itself. I will see if I can get the actuall part#s

That would be great, thanks!

fearroyo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel

So the link procedure using the seat buttons and fob button didn't do anything?

And the setting turned on in the radio?

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So the link procedure using the seat buttons and fob button didn't do anything?

And the setting turned on in the radio?
Yes I have the setting on the radio and it will stay checked but the fob won't program to the memory. I found another memory code last night that I set already but I guess it still shows not set . It's in ECU config #3. I'm gonna set it today and see what happens. c5945b8ba45785fd2d8127f16c7e905c.jpg0f14012105ebca3cdfda8aa9b9be7b1c.jpg

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins

Rick...congrats on getting the memory function to work. I will be attempting to follow you down this same path when it gets a little warmer (have to work outside my 2500 does not fit in the garage ). I of course have some questions and hope you do not mind me asking them. Being a noob when it comes to electronics I can use all the help I can get (just ask Grimm and DeereGuy). So.........

1) Just exactly where is the "canbus connector" located behind the brake pedal? Up on the firewall or to the left of the brake pedal behind the side kick panel?

2) Once I find the canbus connector, where (what slots) do #5 and #6 go to?

3) You say wires #2 and #13 go the drivers door harness. Did you mean to the plastic connector in the door frame (where the accordion gasket is that wires run through from the truck into the driver's door) ? Or to the plastic connector that is inside the door which would mean you would have to feed the wires through the accordion connector?

Thanks................

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Ricks Ram https://www.ramforum.com/threads/added-keyless-go-memory-issue.136401/

They added the Keyless Enter N Go from AutoTech but had issues with their memory seats. Turned out to be their memory seat module being "full" with the 2 original keyfobs which needed to be cleared out to use the 2 *new* keyfobs from Enter N Go. But in that thread are all the settings that were set to make sure it all worked, before finally clearing the memory and it actually working.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Ricks Ram https://www.ramforum.com/threads/added-keyless-go-memory-issue.136401/

They added the Keyless Enter N Go from AutoTech but had issues with their memory seats. Turned out to be their memory seat module being "full" with the 2 original keyfobs which needed to be cleared out to use the 2 *new* keyfobs from Enter N Go. But in that thread are all the settings that were set to make sure it all worked, before finally clearing the memory and it actually working.
Yip thanks. Sorry forgot to mention I am going to check that as well. I just want to make sure I have all the codes added first. From what I read it would appear that whenever you go to reset the key fobs and link it to the memory you would automatically override the previous setting but maybe it doesn't do that. Either way I'm going to go into my memory seat module and to try to clear out any codes it might have if setting this next code doesn't help. I'm just trying to do things step-by-step.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rick...congrats on getting the memory function to work. I will be attempting to follow you down this same path when it gets a little warmer (have to work outside my 2500 does not fit in the garage ). I of course have some questions and hope you do not mind me asking them. Being a noob when it comes to electronics I can use all the help I can get (just ask Grimm and DeereGuy). So.........

1) Just exactly where is the "canbus connector" located behind the brake pedal? Up on the firewall or to the left of the brake pedal behind the side kick panel?

2) Once I find the canbus connector, where (what slots) do #5 and #6 go to?

3) You say wires #2 and #13 go the drivers door harness. Did you mean to the plastic connector in the door frame (where the accordion gasket is that wires run through from the truck into the driver's door) ? Or to the plastic connector that is inside the door which would mean you would have to feed the wires through the accordion connector?

Thanks................
The wires from pin 2 and 13 go to the drivers side door harness. You should already have the two wires coming from the door module coming to the opposite side of the connector. Just remove the harness and the connector and pin the two new wires. I apologize I don't have the part# for the pins. My bags that have all the part#s all mixed up so I am not sure what it is. I put out a few messages and should be able to get it pretty soon. The CAN connector on my truck is behind the drivers kick plate up kinda high behind the parking brake. If you pop the two Christmas tree connectors out of the black cardboard cover after you remove the kick plate you can see it. I had the harness that goes to the CAN made over a year ago when I got my seat harness. Unfortunately I don't have the pin#s for it or the part# for the connector that goes to the CAN but I will try to find that too. f1929236a226b844b4fa59da36219cd5.jpg

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
The wires from pin 2 and 13 go to the drivers side door harness. You should already have the two wires coming from the door module coming to the opposite side of the connector. Just remove the harness and the connector and pin the two new wires. I apologize I don't have the part# for the pins. My bags that have all the part#s all mixed up so I am not sure what it is. I put out a few messages and should be able to get it pretty soon. The CAN connector on my truck is behind the drivers kick plate up kinda high behind the parking brake. If you pop the two Christmas tree connectors out of the black cardboard cover after you remove the kick plate you can see it. I had the harness that goes to the CAN made over a year ago when I got my seat harness. Unfortunately I don't have the pin#s for it or the part# for the connector that goes to the CAN but I will try to find that too. f1929236a226b844b4fa59da36219cd5.jpg

Rick....thanks for your quick response. No worries on the part numbers, I should have mentioned that I will be getting a harness made up by DeereGuy, just waiting for him to catch up with all his work since he has been busy.

In the picture you posted there are 2 connectors. There is one on the left ( the larger one which fits inside the door frame hole) and the the other connector on the right (with red locking plate insert). Which of these 2 connectors did you pin wires #2 and #13? Or does the smaller gray connector just plug into the back of the larger one on the left?

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rick....thanks for your quick response. No worries on the part numbers, I should have mentioned that I will be getting a harness made up by DeereGuy, just waiting for him to catch up with all his work since he has been busy.

In the picture you posted there are 2 connectors. There is one on the left ( the larger one which fits inside the door frame hole) and the the other connector on the right (with red locking plate insert). Which of these 2 connectors did you pin wires #2 and #13? Or does the smaller gray connector just plug into the back of the larger one on the left?
It's the one one that is removed from the main connector.

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Thanks...after my last post I looked a little closer at your pic and realized that the smaller connector is one of two that go into the the main connector. Looks like the other one is green. Glad you found out how to do this, I was thinking that I had to run wire all the way to the driver's door module.

Dillonjm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gents, spent the last hour searching through this thread, awesome info.

I added heated/cooled seats to my RC 3500 Tradesman (seats from a 16 3500 Laramie)

I have the correct switch panel in and when I turn on the heated function or the ventilation function, it will turn on (I can hear the ventilation fan running) but after 10ish seconds it will turn off and until I restart the truck it'll do the lights on (but not functioning) for 5 seconds then off routine.

I also enabled all the soft keys with Alfaobd and it doesn't matter if I use the hard or soft switches same results.

My first thought is the heated seat control module so I have one on the way.

Anyone have any other ideas?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gents, spent the last hour searching through this thread, awesome info.

I added heated/cooled seats to my RC 3500 Tradesman (seats from a 16 3500 Laramie)

I have the correct switch panel in and when I turn on the heated function or the ventilation function, it will turn on (I can hear the ventilation fan running) but after 10ish seconds it will turn off and until I restart the truck it'll do the lights on (but not functioning) for 5 seconds then off routine.

I also enabled all the soft keys with Alfaobd and it doesn't matter if I use the hard or soft switches same results.

My first thought is the heated seat control module so I have one on the way.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Could be a bad module, could be a short in the seats somewhere (but if vent and heat do the same thing, I wouldnt think they are BOTH shorting out)

Its possible to connect to the heated seat module using Alfa and there should be some data you can log from there....things like the current going in and out, etc. Since you have the Alfa setup you might want to give that a shot to see if it indicates what might be going wrong.