How To Add Heated/Ventelated seats and Heated Wheel to Express/Tradesman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gents, spent the last hour searching through this thread, awesome info.

I added heated/cooled seats to my RC 3500 Tradesman (seats from a 16 3500 Laramie)

I have the correct switch panel in and when I turn on the heated function or the ventilation function, it will turn on (I can hear the ventilation fan running) but after 10ish seconds it will turn off and until I restart the truck it'll do the lights on (but not functioning) for 5 seconds then off routine.

I also enabled all the soft keys with Alfaobd and it doesn't matter if I use the hard or soft switches same results.

My first thought is the heated seat control module so I have one on the way.

Anyone have any other ideas?
In most cases when they turn off after a few seconds it means that all of the codes are not enabled. I recommend going back and double checking to make sure that all codes are activated. Also give the truck time to pick up the codes let it sleep for several Ignition cycles after getting them all added to make sure they take in the BCM.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Dillonjm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In most cases when they turn off after a few seconds it means that all of the codes are not enabled. I recommend going back and double checking to make sure that all codes are activated. Also give the truck time to pick up the codes let it sleep for several Ignition cycles after getting them all added to make sure they take in the BCM.

Thanks for the reply!

I thought the same at first but it's odo that the ventilation will actually run for 10ish seconds for the first try after starting the truck.

I pulled the data from the HSM in Alfa, any of these values look odd? Also, not sure if it’s related but when I run the diagnostic connected to the HSM I get a recurring U0147 that won’t clear.

de1e1fcbbd3dbb103f355a6009fe417d.jpg7f225d651d073d4dee96fbbfbd7a605e.jpg

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
can you turn them on and check the readings? Even if they just run for a second or two (might need to be quick with your screenshot)

Step after that would be to check the wiring to make sure the pins are in correct locations, wires arent cut, etc.

Dillonjm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
can you turn them on and check the readings? Even if they just run for a second or two (might need to be quick with your screenshot)

Step after that would be to check the wiring to make sure the pins are in correct locations, wires arent cut, etc.

Cooled on then heated on:

512e7ab6be6ef36c46ecbf8e5a42c8ef.jpg

64b930c27c15cf4d0abc38bdc693d7cd.jpg

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you connect to the heated seat module, can you see if there are any codes stored in it?

(sorry about all the questions, I dont have heated seats in my truck yet so Im going by service manual questions)

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cooled on then heated on:

512e7ab6be6ef36c46ecbf8e5a42c8ef.jpg

64b930c27c15cf4d0abc38bdc693d7cd.jpg
Did you have the passenger side on or just the drivers side? Since your truck is an R/C your wiring should be correct from the factory. By you saying you activated the soft keys I am assuming you installed and RA3 radio or higher? First thing I would do is go back and double check the codes. I know it sounds silly but 90% of the time that is the issue. The U047 code is for lost communication.
Make sure all the codes are set
Even though your truck has the correct wiring from the factory make sure the grey connector and the yellow connector for the drivers seat are fully seated and the single yellow connector for the passenger seat is fully seated and obviously check for any damaged wires or pins.
Check your body control module for DTC codes.
After you go through those steps you can start narrow it down through a process of elimination.

Dillonjm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you have the passenger side on or just the drivers side? Since your truck is an R/C your wiring should be correct from the factory. By you saying you activated the soft keys I am assuming you installed and RA3 radio or higher? First thing I would do is go back and double check the codes. I know it sounds silly but 90% of the time that is the issue. The U047 code is for lost communication.
Make sure all the codes are set
Even though your truck has the correct wiring from the factory make sure the grey connector and the yellow connector for the drivers seat are fully seated and the single yellow connector for the passenger seat is fully seated and obviously check for any damaged wires or pins.
Check your body control module for DTC codes.
After you go through those steps you can start narrow it down through a process of elimination.

Yes, I have the 8.4 radio. And yes I only turned on the driver side in those photos.

I unplugged and reconnected all the plugs, don’t see any loose connectors.

I turned the 4 codes off then back on again. Will give it overnight, but I don’t think this is the issue.

I checked the BCM for fault codes and none are present. The only one I can find is in the heated seat module (the lost comm code)

Thanks for the help, if I can’t figure this out by Friday I’m going to swap in a new heated seat module, I ordered one anyway.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, I have the 8.4 radio. And yes I only turned on the driver side in those photos.

I unplugged and reconnected all the plugs, don’t see any loose connectors.

I turned the 4 codes off then back on again. Will give it overnight, but I don’t think this is the issue.

I checked the BCM for fault codes and none are present. The only one I can find is in the heated seat module (the lost comm code)

Thanks for the help, if I can’t figure this out by Friday I’m going to swap in a new heated seat module, I ordered one anyway.
Ok it's good to let the truck have some time to take the codes. I went back and double checked and the four codes you added are the correct ones. Others have added those codes and not enabled the heated wheel codes and the seats have worked but you never know with these things. You may want to set the seat material type in the memory section to perforated leather since you have the Laramie seats. They are usually set to cloth by default. The only other thing I can think of is if you have had the App for a while and haven't updated it there was a version that wasn't enabling the codes correctly. Not sure if that's the case with yours but if it is an older version and it shows an update on the play store I reccomend updating it. It could possibly be the heated seat module and since it doesn't cost much to replace it's definitely worth giving it a shot if you can't get them to work. The reason everyone is asking you to check the codes is because when the codes aren't all set correctly the seats act very similar to the way your seats are acting. There is also one more heated seat code in the cabin-net section but we did not have to set that code in the trucks I have done. Good luck let us know how it goes. 2ed43d97e2d799ed7e5d2c8125314e02.jpg

GordDavey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can someone post me a list of the procedure and settings needed to use AlfaODB to add the heated and ventilated seats please?

I’ve put my new seats in and the button bar into the center stack. While the seats function properly and the diagnostic can run the vent fans in the seats. My buttons for heat and vent turn off after a few seconds. So I must be missing a setting or something.

I didn’t need to put in the harness... I’ll have to explain that later... once I finish getting my “Franken-Truck” fully working.

Dillonjm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok it's good to let the truck have some time to take the codes. I went back and double checked and the four codes you added are the correct ones. Others have added those codes and not enabled the heated wheel codes and the seats have worked but you never know with these things. You may want to set the seat material type in the memory section to perforated leather since you have the Laramie seats. They are usually set to cloth by default. The only other thing I can think of is if you have had the App for a while and haven't updated it there was a version that wasn't enabling the codes correctly. Not sure if that's the case with yours but if it is an older version and it shows an update on the play store I reccomend updating it. It could possibly be the heated seat module and since it doesn't cost much to replace it's definitely worth giving it a shot if you can't get them to work. The reason everyone is asking you to check the codes is because when the codes aren't all set correctly the seats act very similar to the way your seats are acting. There is also one more heated seat code in the cabin-net section but we did not have to set that code in the trucks I have done. Good luck let us know how it goes. 2ed43d97e2d799ed7e5d2c8125314e02.jpg

No luck on the new module. I’m to the point of wire tracing I think. Pulling down the schematics and will try and figure out if there is a short upstream of the heated seat module since this is doing it for both seats and for both heated and cooled functions I believe it isn’t a short in the seats themselves. I’ll update once I get the time to trace it out.

I’ve tried all the tricks I can think of with Alfa so I think that’s all squared away.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe try removing the hard buttons and control through the head unit only to see if maybe the control panel is an issue.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

JRust

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I did the heated steering wheel as well as the Larmaie Heated/cooled seats. I'm scrolling through this thread trying to find the clocksping part #. MY cruise control isn't working. It will occasionally but I am about to go on a long trip. The clockspring is easy enough to replace. I bought a new one when I did the upgrade but I've heard this has been the issue for multiple people. So worth trying for me. Worst case I will sell my old one if that isn't the issue. Anyway does anyone have the part number? My truck is a 2014 & I can't find where I got my previous one or the code

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did the heated steering wheel as well as the Larmaie Heated/cooled seats. I'm scrolling through this thread trying to find the clocksping part #. MY cruise control isn't working. It will occasionally but I am about to go on a long trip. The clockspring is easy enough to replace. I bought a new one when I did the upgrade but I've heard this has been the issue for multiple people. So worth trying for me. Worst case I will sell my old one if that isn't the issue. Anyway does anyone have the part number? My truck is a 2014 & I can't find where I got my previous one or the code
A lot of times the cruise control not working is related to the actual steering wheel buttons themselves . The part# I have for the heated wheel clock spring is 68110740AE.

JRust

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Thanks Rick. What would you recommend? It does sometimes turn itself on when I turn. One reason I though the clockspring made sense.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Rick. What would you recommend? It does sometimes turn itself on when I turn. One reason I though the clockspring made sense.
That is odd. The buttons have been problematic in the past but the fact that it turns on when turning the steering wheel would definitely lean more towards the clockspring being your issue. Did it start as soon as you installed the heated wheel and clockspring or is it something that showed up later? I would pull the airbag and check your wiring for the cruise control switch just to make sure it isn't pinched or damaged somehow if you haven't already. If all the wiring appears ok the clockspring would be my next guess as well since it seems to be affected when the steering wheel is turned.