How To Add Heated/Ventelated seats and Heated Wheel to Express/Tradesman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dillonjm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok well we can do the harnesses if your interested and I have a few single zone bezels laying around. If your interested in anything just shoot me a PM.

In the meantime, can you just unplug the infotainment bezel and see if your seats act any different? We have seen it do crazy things to the CAN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Removed the infotainment harness completely and plugged the 8.4 in direct to the truck.

Still same symptoms.

Hoping you guys are right and the addition of the 7 speed hvac module, bezel, and harness is the cure.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Removed the infotainment harness completely and plugged the 8.4 in direct to the truck.

Still same symptoms.

Hoping you guys are right and the addition of the 7 speed hvac module, bezel, and harness is the cure.
We have done several of these with that configuration and it has worked fine. I should have asked you further when I asked if you had done the 8.4 conversion originally. Had I known you had only done the Infotainment bezel I would have instantly told you it wouldn't work without the HVAC module. Of course nothing is guaranteed when we're adding things to these trucks but I would be surprised if it doesn't work fine for you after you do the full conversion.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

GordDavey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, it still has the 4 speed fan and bezel.

Not sure how far along you’ve followed so here is what is baffling me.

I start the truck and turn on the seat vents on high. The seat fans will run, I can hear the seat vent system working (in both seats). Then after 15 sec it will power off and won’t turn back on until the truck is shut off for a while (gives the quick 3 second light on then off routine).

If I understand the system correctly and i might not, the signal is sent to the HSM to turn on whatever function and then it reports status back via the CANBUS wires. This leads me to believe there is a breakdown in the return signal from the HSM.

Is my logic off?
I did this exact same thing. You are running the "Test" of the heated or ventilated seats under the diagnostics. Its a short test (10 or 15 seconds) and you get to hear the vent fans spin up for a while and then they shut themselves off. So with that test you know the seats are in fact working.
What I noticed was that I didn't have the ecuConfig5 items listed in my BCM. So when pushing the buttons in the bottom of the console they would light up and turn off after 2 or 3 seconds. Ricks Ram gave me a list of the exact settings I need to set. But I have not been able to connect back up to the truck since he sent them to me. (I'm 3000 miles away from it at the moment). So I do not know if the 1 setting I missed will end up adding in the ecuConfig5 items or not... I'm very hopeful it does, and that those settings will allow both the buttons to work and the on-screen buttons in the radio. As long as the buttons work, I doubt you actually need the RA4 radio itself.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did this exact same thing. You are running the "Test" of the heated or ventilated seats under the diagnostics. Its a short test (10 or 15 seconds) and you get to hear the vent fans spin up for a while and then they shut themselves off. So with that test you know the seats are in fact working.
What I noticed was that I didn't have the ecuConfig5 items listed in my BCM. So when pushing the buttons in the bottom of the console they would light up and turn off after 2 or 3 seconds. Ricks Ram gave me a list of the exact settings I need to set. But I have not been able to connect back up to the truck since he sent them to me. (I'm 3000 miles away from it at the moment). So I do not know if the 1 setting I missed will end up adding in the ecuConfig5 items or not... I'm very hopeful it does, and that those settings will allow both the buttons to work and the on-screen buttons in the radio. As long as the buttons work, I doubt you actually need the RA4 radio itself.
I get contacted pretty often by people installing the heated/vented seats when they have issues. I just got done helping a guy who tried to install the setup in a 2500 with the RA2 radio and they wouldn't work. They basically would turn on for a few seconds and then turn off. I had him do the full 8.4 conversion with the RA4 and they started working. I have had this happen quite a few times when helping people. In our experience you DO need the RA4 radio in order for the heated/vented seats to work. I am pretty sure that I know of one guy who was able to get them to work with a Pioneer aftermarket system but I'm not sure in whether or not he had the RA4 bezel or the RA2 bezel. The heated only seats were available with the RA2 radio. I personally have not helped anyone install the heated only seats with the RA2 but I am assuming it could be done if the correct codes were added. We pretty much know what seems to work and what doesn't but sometimes were not sure exactly why. I am assuming it's some type of a communication issue within the system because the RA4 is not completely integrated with the truck's HVAC system unless the full conversion is done. All we can do is tell people what has worked in the past when they run into issues. I am hoping by @Dillonjm doing the full conversion his will work because in the past we have seen other trucks not work unless it was done but there is no guarentee it will work. Either way in his situation it would be the next logical step plus would give him a much nicer setup than he is running now. This is why it's good for people to post their results when they have problems and what they did to fix it. This way if someone ever figure out how to get the heated/vented seats to work with the RA2 radio we would know what is needed on order for it to work.

GordDavey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ricks Ram, I totally understand. Quirks are a pain and knowing what does or doesn't work is worth its weight in gold, I don't have the experience with this that you guys do, so thanks for correcting me. I feel this need to give back to the forum for all the incredible info I have gotten. Once I get my seats working properly, I'll have to throw the original RA2 back in, and see if the console buttons will continue to work or not, it'd be interesting to find out.

Pixel shooter

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 ram sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Man i luv this thread and ton of helpful people. Rick Ram has been a god send for me lol.......upgraded to ventilated seats last year with a ton of Ricks help, got some recalls done and they reflashed my pcm so lost everything again urghhhh after expliciting telling them do not do that please. so instead of paying $160 again to have someone use scan tool, i bought the OBD Link MX and a samsung tablet and software needed so I can turn my ventilated seats back on once again. im not a smart phone user, but iphone/ipad faithful.

Would someone be so kind and guide step by step to turn my ventilated seats back on once again pretty pls. Added bonus as well if I can turn my fog lights back on with high beam in use :)

Dillonjm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Man i luv this thread and ton of helpful people. Rick Ram has been a god send for me lol.......upgraded to ventilated seats last year with a ton of Ricks help, got some recalls done and they reflashed my pcm so lost everything again urghhhh after expliciting telling them do not do that please. so instead of paying $160 again to have someone use scan tool, i bought the OBD Link MX and a samsung tablet and software needed so I can turn my ventilated seats back on once again. im not a smart phone user, but iphone/ipad faithful.

Would someone be so kind and guide step by step to turn my ventilated seats back on once again pretty pls. Added bonus as well if I can turn my fog lights back on with high beam in use :)

Post #1490 I show which settings in AlfaOBD you need enabled to get the heated/vented seats to function.

Connect to your MX in Alfa, the settings are in the body computer.

Hope this helps

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Just a quick FYI, I found a place online that sells small quantities of the 1.5mm 7114-4101-02/ 7116-4101-02 pins/sockets at reasonable prices. Unfortunately, they don't have the 2.8mm ones. They do however claim to be willing to look into whatever terminals you need so I sent them an email explaining that the Yazaki 1.5 and 2.8 series are two of the most common we needs on our RAMs and asking if they'd be willing to stock the 2.8 as well. I'll post back with whatever reply they give.

https://www.corsa-technic.com

-K

Last edited:

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just a quick FYI, I found a place online that sells small quantities of the 1.5mm 7114-4112-02/7116-4112-02 pins/sockets at reasonable prices. Unfortunately, they don't have the 2.8mm ones. They do however claim to be willing to look into whatever terminals you need so I sent them an email explaining that the Yazaki 1.5 and 2.8 series are two of the most common we needs on our RAMs and asking if they'd be willing to stock the 2.8 as well. I'll post back with whatever reply they give.

https://www.corsa-technic.com

-K
Aren’t 711x-411x-02s 2.8mm? The 711x-410x-02 are 1.5mm. I stock all of these terminals in different wire gauge sizes. If it would help out, I’ll add them to my website where people can buy them with no MOQ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gents. Success!

Swapped over to the 7 speed bezel, module, and resistor and the seats work!

Thanks for all the help
That's good news. I felt pretty confident that was your issue. As DeereGuy stated for some reason there seems to be a communication issue with the RA3,RA4 radios for the heated/vented seats unless the full conversion is done. Your truck is just another one that seems to confirm that.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

These are the codes for the Heated/Vented seats and Heated Wheel if you have it plus fog light dropout. If you enable the Custset menu auto on comfort enable option 1-2. This will give the ability to select remote start only,all starts or none. f024374990c154a361c6c0171d24ff9d.jpg80b44c33a77f5e747a8b1139bf3a8b24.jpgddeaa4f7459504dda6c81f4347ef09fa.jpgdf38efe190b389d7a27f7b7b20916b84.jpgb1cf9f2a378ceaa06e72ca848ac7dea1.jpg4bb55ddbad6d83abfa4b892fad07283e.jpg1c064dd93a34dacdcec05017f446975c.jpg839ceaba81ae493fa5cc99e59da7f8c1.jpg18ffd596e24886a710842dc494e3b8fc.jpg5b9437ad11e0d31b1c55a023995a163c.jpg

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Aren’t 711x-411x-02s 2.8mm? The 711x-410x-02 are 1.5mm. I stock all of these terminals in different wire gauge sizes. If it would help out, I’ll add them to my website where people can buy them with no MOQ.

Whoops, copied the wrong numbers out of my notes. Thanks for catching that. The 1.5mm pins are the ones they stock. I'll edit the post.

I didn't know you had a web site. I thought you just did business through here on the forums. If you could add them so folks can buy them that would be great.

-K

Last edited:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Whoops, copied the wrong numbers out of my notes. Thanks for catching that. The 1.5mm pins are the ones they stock. I'll edit the post.

I didn't know you had a web site. I thought you just did business through here on the forums. If you could add them so folks can buy them that would be great.

-K
Had no idea he had a website either....

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
URL?

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
URL?

As you will see it is just getting started. I spun it up recently for the security module bypass, but I am liking the way it works and will probably be moving all the harnesses I sell to this format in the future. I added the 4 terminals that were posted above to the site for now. I'm not sure where to price them, I started at .75/each but I will lose money with shipping if someone just buys one. I'll have to see how much interest there is and then go from there. The website is at http://www.kaodtech.com.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As you will see it is just getting started. I spun it up recently for the security module bypass, but I am liking the way it works and will probably be moving all the harnesses I sell to this format in the future. I added the 4 terminals that were posted above to the site for now. I'm not sure where to price them, I started at .75/each but I will lose money with shipping if someone just buys one. I'll have to see how much interest there is and then go from there. The website is at http://www.kaodtech.com.

I wouldnt have a problem with an MOQ, just not one like nexelec :) I dont need 50 of something, but you have the ability to sell the extras so you could make a MOQ of 5 or 6 or even 10 and everyone wins.

Or maybe come up with a "DIY package" for popular mods, which will give enough of each connector (plus some spares) and then sell the whole "kit" which should make shipping more palatable.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I have been trying to get my fobs to link to my Memory Seats since I was able to get them working but I still haven't had any luck. They work great by just using the 1 or 2 button on the seat but I can't seem to get the fob to link to the seats to automatically adjust the seats when you hit the unlock button. I have cleared and reset the MSM module with no success and I have enabled all the codes I am aware of. Also I am able to program my seats and mirrors to adjust with memory but so far have been unable to get the auto temp and radio station preset to work. I know some guys with trucks with factory wiring have been able to get all the settings to work but to the best of my knowledge no one who has added the actual wiring that has had any success. I know there is either some wiring or a code I am missing but so far I haven't been able to figure it out.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I have been trying to get my fobs to link to my Memory Seats since I was able to get them working but I still haven't had any luck. They work great by just using the 1 or 2 button on the seat but I can't seem to get the fob to link to the seats to automatically adjust the seats when you hit the unlock button. I have cleared and reset the MSM module with no success and I have enabled all the codes I am aware of. Also I am able to program my seats and mirrors to adjust with memory but so far have been unable to get the auto temp and radio station preset to work. I know some guys with trucks with factory wiring have been able to get all the settings to work but to the best of my knowledge no one who has added the actual wiring that has had any success. I know there is either some wiring or a code I am missing but so far I haven't been able to figure it out.

Is all of this happening?

"A Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) is "linked" to a memory setting by performing the following steps:

1. Remove the Key Fob from the ignition (or change the ignition to OFF, for vehicles equipped with Keyless Enter-N-Go).
  2. Select desired memory profile (1) or (2)
  3. Once the profile has been recalled, press and release the SET (S) button on the memory switch, then press and release button (1) or (2) accordingly. "Memory Profile Set" (1 or 2) will display in the instrument cluster on vehicles equipped with the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC).
  4. Press and release the LOCK button on the RKE transmitter within 10 seconds.
FOB LINKING - The MSM has the capacity to store two linked fobs only. If one is lost or damage, a third can not be programmed successfully. In order to remove stored keys and to add the new key, the MSM module needs to forget what links already exist.

- Unlink by pressing the SET (S) button, and within 10 seconds, followed by pushing the UNLOCK button on the RKE transmitter.Once
this has been completed, you will need to re-link the original Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) as well as linking the new Remote Keyless Entry (RKE). Remember that linking requires the key/Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) to be out of the ignition."