How To Add Heated/Ventelated seats and Heated Wheel to Express/Tradesman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That's totally up to you. I personally try to keep things as factory as possible but they are your seats. I'm pretty sure the pins wouldn't cost more than $10 or $15 dollars from KaodTech. You would also need to purchase a pin crimping tool for around $20 if you don't already have one. If you do decide to connect to the wires through the back of the seat connector I reccomend trying to do it in a way that could be put back and not permanently altered. This will help in the future if you decided to upgrade your harness to make the seats fully function plus help keep the value of the seats if you ever decided to sell them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Can you think of a way to tap into the wire without it permanently damaging the wiring? I hate to splice but my Dad only has the 5" radio and auxillary switches and doesn't want to spend the extra money to get his heat and AC working and he's fine with tapping into the wires.

17' CCSB 4X4 68RFE 2500 6.7 Tradesman DRP EGR delete, CTT tuning w/TCM tuning, UAQ w/7 speed HVAC, 7" premium EVIC, OEM front Parksense, OEM style front camera, aux switches, OEM remote start

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you think of a way to tap into the wire without it permanently damaging the wiring? I hate to splice but my Dad only has the 5" radio and auxillary switches and doesn't want to spend the extra money to get his heat and AC working and he's fine with tapping into the wires.

17' CCSB 4X4 68RFE 2500 6.7 Tradesman DRP EGR delete, CTT tuning w/TCM tuning, UAQ w/7 speed HVAC, 7" premium EVIC, OEM front Parksense, OEM style front camera, aux switches, OEM remote start
I guess you could just cut the insulation off of the seat harness wires and then solder the power and ground wires to them without actually cutting them or you could de pin the wires from the connector and then attach the power and the ground to them somehow that way. I guess if he doesn't care about the wiring and just wants to splice into them then just do the best you can to make it a clean install.

Austen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I guess you could just cut the insulation off of the seat harness wires and then solder the power and ground wires to them without actually cutting them or you could de pin the wires from the connector and then attach the power and the ground to them somehow that way. I guess if he doesn't care about the wiring and just wants to splice into them then just do the best you can to make it a clean install.

Is this ride wire the one I need to tap into on the driver seat? I seen that someone on an old forum said that when he just tapped into one wire it did not power the lumber as wellac938e4d479eeddc65e9ba065db6bbdc.jpg

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is this ride wire the one I need to tap into on the driver seat? I seen that someone on an old forum said that when he just tapped into one wire it did not power the lumber as wellac938e4d479eeddc65e9ba065db6bbdc.jpg

Yes you tap into the solid red wire which is slot#1 and solid black wire which is slot#14. Who ever posted that was incorrect. It should power everything.

Austen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yes you tap into the solid red wire which is slot#1 and solid black wire which is slot#14. Who ever posted that was incorrect. It should power everything.

Ok power on both passenger and driver seats are working correctly and all seems to be fine. We never ran a ground wire and everything is working do we still need to ground?

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok power on both passenger and driver seats are working correctly and all seems to be fine. We never ran a ground wire and everything is working do we still need to ground?

The seats are grounded to the truck via the brackets that are boted up the cab but I always run a dedicated ground to the connector. All that being said it's up to you. Either way is fine. If they are working they have a good ground. Most important thing is to make sure the power wire has a fused link.

Austen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The seats are grounded to the truck via the brackets that are boted up the cab but I always run a dedicated ground to the connector. All that being said it's up to you. Either way is fine. If they are working they have a good ground. Most important thing is to make sure the power wire has a fused link.

Okay thanks man I really appreciate all your help! He did install a 30 amp in line fuse as you suggested.

Tony A

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Hi Rick I’m i Vallejo California , I have. 2015 Ram 2500 diesel tradesmen st
I upgrade it with the 8.4 and I also did a swap Laramie leather seats I was wondering if you can help me , we’re in north of California you in ?

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi Rick I’m i Vallejo California , I have. 2015 Ram 2500 diesel tradesmen st
I upgrade it with the 8.4 and I also did a swap Laramie leather seats I was wondering if you can help me , we’re in north of California you in ?
I sent you a P.M.

Ramhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just want to thank you and everyone that helped gather all the information to do this install. I just installed 2016 Laramie heated and cooled seats in my 2018 Express today and I would not of attempted this if not for this site. I was lucky and the factory harness plugged into the seat harness with no modifications needed. I just enabled the codes with Alfaobd and everything showed up on the 8.4 radio and worked. Next is to add the instrument panel switch and the install is finished.
Thanks again.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just want to thank you and everyone that helped gather all the information to do this install. I just installed 2016 Laramie heated and cooled seats in my 2018 Express today and I would not of attempted this if not for this site. I was lucky and the factory harness plugged into the seat harness with no modifications needed. I just enabled the codes with Alfaobd and everything showed up on the 8.4 radio and worked. Next is to add the instrument panel switch and the install is finished.
Thanks again.
You had an Express that had all the correct wiring? If so I've never seen one that did including my 14 Express and I've done a quite a few of these. All the trucks I have seen had to be a Bighorn or higher trim level in order to have the wiring. I haven't done an 18 Express yet so I suppose it's possible that certain 18 Expresses could be equipped higher which is good to know. Congratulations on your upgrade. It's definitely a nice feature to have.

Ramhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes the picture in my profile is the truck I'm upgrading. I built and ordered it in to the dealership with as may options as I could get because I wanted the middle jump seat. I wanted to get it as close to the Sport trim as possible with the third seat. I don't know if it was because the truck was built at the end of there 3 week build window and they put in the higher trim level harness but it was all plug and play and everything works as it should. Yes I love the new seats the best upgrade so far.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes the picture in my profile is the truck I'm upgrading. I built and ordered it in to the dealership with as may options as I could get because I wanted the middle jump seat. I wanted to get it as close to the Sport trim as possible with the third seat. I don't know if it was because the truck was built at the end of there 3 week build window and they put in the higher trim level harness but it was all plug and play and everything works as it should. Yes I love the new seats the best upgrade so far.
Oh I'm sorry I just noticed your truck is a Regular Cab. I should have looked at your profile pic! All the Regular Cab trucks come standard with the premium harness because they build so few of them which is nice. The Quad Cab and Crew Cab Express and Tradesman trucks have the basic harness. I did see some 2019 Classic Quad and Crew Cab Express trucks with the 8.4 radio when I was looking at 2500's the other day so I'm thinking there could be a possibility some of them could come with the upgraded seat harnesses. They were all locked so I couldn't actually open the door and check.

Last edited:

Jonathan DiG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
Hey guys I am struggling here and looking for some help, I have read all 178 pages and don't believe I have found the solution or similar issue yet but please point me in the right direction if you can.
I have a 2018 Big Horn 1500 Eco Diesel which I have installed 2014 Laramie seats into. I appear to have the only Big Horn that was not pre wired for heated/ power seats so i made the seat harness as per post 1, I've installed the switch panel and activated all the parameters as per previous post using Alaph and the obd link mx as well I have a Z automotive bypass module installed to get past the security gateway. Now my issues are that none of the buttons light up on the switch panel, when I try to use the soft keys nothing happens either, I have also had no luck communicating with the HSM. I am not to sure about what radio I have but have attached the photos, please let me know if you guys have any other suggestions.

20200104_165639.jpg

20200104_165654.jpg

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys I am struggling here and looking for some help, I have read all 178 pages and don't believe I have found the solution or similar issue yet but please point me in the right direction if you can.
I have a 2018 Big Horn 1500 Eco Diesel which I have installed 2014 Laramie seats into. I appear to have the only Big Horn that was not pre wired for heated/ power seats so i made the seat harness as per post 1, I've installed the switch panel and activated all the parameters as per previous post using Alaph and the obd link mx as well I have a Z automotive bypass module installed to get past the security gateway. Now my issues are that none of the buttons light up on the switch panel, when I try to use the soft keys nothing happens either, I have also had no luck communicating with the HSM. I am not to sure about what radio I have but have attached the photos, please let me know if you guys have any other suggestions.

View attachment 190948

View attachment 190949
It seems like your issue is most likely that you aren't connected to the CAN system and that's why you cannot communicate with your seat module. I have also seen some instances where the wrecking yards have removed the heated seat module before selling the seats so verify it's still mounted under the seat to make sure that's not your issue. When 00/RT and I originally figured all this out I wasn't sure it was all going to work so I just ran the wiring the way I described in my post. It all worked fine but Deerguy actually developed a completely plug and play harness that is far better than the way I originally ran my harness. I have since fully converted my truck over to his harness. I strongly reccomend buying the heated/vented seat conversion harness from M2mods who is in the vendor section on the forum. It is run by Mpgrimm2 and Deerguy and they do beautiful work. The harness will look factory and attach to the factory PDC (fuse Box). To answer your actual question you most likely have an issue with your harness or your codes. I'm thinking there is a better chance it's your harness than the codes since you cannot connect to the heated seat module. Verify that you have the two CAN connector wires from pin#12 and 13 of the grey driver's seat connector to the CAN connected properly. This is what connects the module to the truck. Double check that you have all of the correct codes enabled in the BCM by referring to the first post of the alfa thread under the known working codes list. Your truck would definitely be the first Bighorn I have seen without the correct wiring from the factory.

Jonathan DiG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
Just spit balling here but do you think my issue might be that I require the bypass harness made by Deereguy? Also even if I wasn't connected properly to the HSM wouldn't the buttons still light up on the switch panel?

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just spit balling here but do you think my issue might be that I require the bypass harness made by Deereguy? Also even if I wasn't connected properly to the HSM wouldn't the buttons still light up on the switch panel?
You must have been using some type of bypass harness to enable the codes, correct? The alfa tool shouldn't be able to connect to the truck to enable the codes without one. It would appear that whatever security bypass harness you were using worked because the tool was able to connect to the truck to enable the controls to come up on the screen. Once the codes are enabled the security bypass harness is no longer needed. One thing I did notice in your picture was that your heated seat soft keys were much larger on the screen than your vented soft keys. When I had my UAS/UAQ radio in my truck which is what you have my keys were the same size. Doubt that it makes any difference but thought I would mention it. It may be because you don't have the heated wheel enabled so the soft keys are configured differently. The fact that you cannot connect to the HSM module is what makes me believe you could have an issue with the CAN connection or the wiring that you installed. The fact that the buttons don't turn on at all could be related to that but I have never tried pushing the switch panel buttons without being connected to the CAN so I can't say for sure. I do know in many cases when people have done this mod and the wiring is correct but all of the codes are not entered correctly the buttons will usually turn on for a few seconds and then turn off. Another thing to note is the 2013 trucks take a different switch panel but they look identical to the 2014 to 2018. To verify your switch panel is correct just use the other buttons like the tow/haul ect. If they work your switch panel should be the correct one. You could also have a problem with not getting power to the two pink wires with yellow stripe when the truck is on (ignition on run). It's obviously hard to trouble shoot when I can't physically see the harness you installed but if I had to bet I would say that's the first place you should troubleshoot. I would double check that all the correct codes are enabled with the tool and verify you HSM module is still attached to the seat and all the connectors that run to it are attached because that won't take long to do and then focus on the harness from there. 67da397989fd3949f4781d864e67cc96.jpg

Last edited:

Jonathan DiG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
Thanks Rick I will look into your suggestions, as you know I am already pretty invested into this so if I can avoid paying another 300 than that would be awesome. If not I will fork out the money but it might have to wait till next winter.
Yes the other buttons work on the switch panel and this is the bypass module I used but I wish I heard about the bypass harness first
https://www.zautomotive.com/product/bypass-module/

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Rick I will look into your suggestions, as you know I am already pretty invested into this so if I can avoid paying another 300 than that would be awesome. If not I will fork out the money but it might have to wait till next winter.
Yes the other buttons work on the switch panel and this is the bypass module I used but I wish I heard about the bypass harness first
https://www.zautomotive.com/product/bypass-module/
Good luck. Let me know if you find anything out or have any questions. I will try to answer them if I can.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Is there a good summary of all this information? I'm about to tackle this project with the seat swap harness from here. I just want the heated /vented seats to work off the panel not off the touch screen.