How To Add Heated/Ventelated seats and Heated Wheel to Express/Tradesman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is my first writeup on adding the Heated/Ventelated seats and the Heated Wheel to an Express or Tradesman. I am shure there will be questions along the way but I will try to explain it as well as I can. As I did on the other thread I want to mention that I did not figure all of this out. 00/RT was able to add the heated seats and wheel to his regular cab Express that came with the wiring from the factory. There is no way I could have done this without his help. I am sorry I keep repeating that but I don't want t take credit for something I didn't figure out. He was very patient and worked with me to figure it all out. We are lucky to have him on our forum. This is not as complicated as one might think and it worked fine without adding any codes. This is the basic setup

Parts you may need. I got all these from Nexus Electronics with part# I got from 00/RT
Big pins for passenger side seat plug part# 7116-4032. You will need one if you are adding just the seat and two if you are going to install the factory inverter.(see post by 00/RT on installing factory inverter)
Small pin for passenger seat harness part# 7116-4021. You will need 5 for the seat conversion and four more if you are adding the inverter.
You will need two pins for the plug that the heated wheel harness enters but does not exit part#7114-4101-02.
You will need the male end of the gray plug for the drivers side seat part#
7283-6388-40 non locking or
7283-6568-40 locking I was able to get the locking version but the other was out of stock.
The pins for the gray plug are part# 7116-4720-02 or
7116-4721-02 I had to special order these pins. I recommend getting the 7116-4721-02 if possible as its for a bigger Guage wire. The main conversion is actually not bad once it's figured out.
You will need to hook up the solid red wire in the passenger side seat in order for the power functions to work. You will take pins 1 through 5 colors are #1 LG/BR #2 BR/LG #3 TN/DB #4 TN/WT #5 LG/VT from the passenger seat plug and run them to the drivers side seat gray plug. Pin# 2 TN/WT 3 TN/DB 5 BR/LG 6 LG/BR and 15 LG/VT. The gray plug also has four more wires we will need to use
Heated Wheel pin# 10 GY/DB and pin# 20 DB/LG These two wires will go to the plug under the dash where the heated wheel harness terminates. We found that all trucks have the heated wheel Harness in the colum so all you will need for the heated wheel is the Wheel/clockspring and steering wheel harness.
Last but not least you will need to connect to the CAN (Controller Area Network) You will tap into the IHS (Interior High Speed) CAN .
This will be pin#12 WT/DB CAN IHS +
And pin# 13 WT CAM IHS-
I attached these two wires to my OBD2 PORT
Pin# 3 GY IHS+ And
Pin# 11 WT IHS-
I just had shoulder surgery so I am going to take the truck to the stereo shop tomorrow to hook up to the CAN permanently. I can't work well under the dash yet. You could leave it hooked up to.tje OBD2 port if you wanted but I decided have them mount it somewhere else. I was worried about hooking up to the can but if you know the correct wires it doesn't seem to be as bad as I thougjt.
The last ptoblem is our trucks do not have the correct ignition on run power supply to run power to the heated seat module. Because of this we need to run a relay into the truck. For this I ran a fused 16 Guage wire from the bsttery into the truck under the seat to a 40 AMP relay. I found a suitable trigger sorce in another harness near the same Harness that the Heated wheel harness attaches. You will run two wires from this relay to the two P/Y wires in the YELLOW drivers side seat plug(these wires can only have power when the key is on (RUN). You will also attach a constant 12v sorce to the solid red wire in the YELLOW drivers side seat plug. I am going to attach pictures but if there are any others needed just let me know. I was able to add the codes d
to my control buttons come up on RA4 because I have the tool but it all worked without the codes. You just need to use the hard keys in the switch panel. The first pictures I will post will be of the passenger side seat plug. Obviously I could not duplicate the factory colors but it shows what I did to make it work

20161224_162734.jpg

20170115_105923.jpg

20170115_101907.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This picture rotated and I can't seem to make it go cortect the correct wire us the P/Y that is over four from the right. It is actually four from the bottom on the left as it sits strait up and down.
is where I tapped into the ignition on RUN power for the trigger wire. You need to use a relay because this wire is two small to operate the heated seats. I also posted a picture of how to wire a relay. It is very simple. I recommend buying a harness when you get the relay. Make sure you check with a Multimeter. Make sure it only has power when the key is on RUN.

20161214_104513.jpg

Screenshot_2017-01-15-21-15-00.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The heated seat harness goes into the right side of this plug it I'd the DB/LG WIRE and the GY/DB wires in pin# 7 and pin# 15 of this plug. This is a picture of the gray wire and the blue wire I attached to the plug.
P# 7114-4101-02 this picture also shows the correct orientation so you can see where the P/Y wire ignition on RUN supply is located for the relay in the plug directly above it. Also a picture of the wiring needed for the gray seat plug. 5 go to the passenger seat two go to the heated wheel and two go to the CAN.

20170114_140155.jpg

20170114_140142.jpg

20161222_134900.jpg

Last edited:

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
Rick want me to post the techauthority docs for this?

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah thanks that will help. It's actually simple but it's a lot to explain

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also have all of the schematics if anyone wants them just PM me your email add and I will send them to you.

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
I also have all of the schematics if anyone wants them just PM me your email add and I will send them to you.

rick can you send over what you have? ill compile them together

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So you didnt add any codes to the factory system, they just showed up on the 8.4? If thats the case I might have to hit the local yards for some seats.

If I skip the switch panel would it make a difference in it working?

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So you didnt add any codes to the factory system, they just showed up on the 8.4? If thats the case I might have to hit the local yards for some seats.

If I skip the switch panel would it make a difference in it working?

No it's the opposite. The searts work without the codes but you will need the switch panel. They won't show up on the RA3/RA4 unless you add the codes.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Rick I am getting ready to do the seats myself, when I get my truck back from the shop. I have a reg cab 3500 so maybe I will get lucky like 00/RT. I notice in the shot you have the auto dim on as well did you turn that on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rick I am getting ready to do the seats myself, when I get my truck back from the shop. I have a reg cab 3500 so maybe I will get lucky like 00/RT. I notice in the shot you have the auto dim on as well did you turn that on?

Yes I turned that on with my tool. I live in Northern CA. I know not many members live near me but for those that do I will gladly try to add the codes to your truck.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No it's the opposite. The searts work without the codes but you will need the switch panel. They won't show up on the RA3/RA4 unless you add the codes.

Dang, thank you for clarifying that.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also are you saying there is no need to replace or add any seat modules?

The Heated/Ventelated and Heated seats have all of the modules mounted under the seat. They should all be there unless someone removed them. You don't need any other modules for the conversion.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry should have added that
The part# for the switch panel with Heated/Ventelated seats and heated wheel only is
56054484AA. This is for the gas engine.

Last edited:

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Adding Heated/Ventelated seats and Heated Wheel to Express/Tradesman

Rick, do you have the part for the switch panel that you used? I would need the same one

Do you have a diesel? If so it's a different part number. I ordered 68247648AA. I haven't received it yet to confirm that it works. There seems to be a thousand different configuration of that switch.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
There are a ton of different switch configurations for these trucks. I only have tow/haul and traction control on top, just like Rick's. If you have the aux switches you would need to activate the soft keys on the radio. If you have other options or a different combination of options I would contact benny to make sure you got the correct one.

Rick the clock-spring I am seeing there are 2 for a 3500 with and without heated steering wheel. With is 68110740AE is this also the same one you used in your truck?

Oh and guess what happens now..........the price of used Laramie seats goes way up!!!!

Last edited: