How To Add Heated/Ventelated seats and Heated Wheel to Express/Tradesman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMI-FI

Active Duty Air Force ( B-2 Hydraulics)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am finally ready to do the seat swap on my 2019 Ram 1500 Regular Cab Classic. The truck is a Tradesman but has lots of factory upgrades, it's not your typical stripped out version. I have been looking everywhere for a set out of a 2500 that will have the center leather seat as well, I have looked all over Ebay and Car-part with no luck or they want to sell the front and back set for over $2500 or they will severely damaged with airbag blow. l am not sure how expensive it would be to repair seats that have had airbags deploy. I removed the seats and took pics and measurements of the tracks and wiring harness. I have even considered bolting Challenger seats to my tracks. Does it look like all the wiring is there for the leather seat with heated and cooled conversion and do you guys know where I can locate some nice seats?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NdTL53Hsoqw4rwvY6

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I'm used to looking at the truck side connectors from the back/wire insertion side so I'm not 100% show, but it looks like you've got more wiring than most and may be good to go (I can tell you have the needed ground wire at the (yellow) pass side i420-21 connector. @Ricks Ram has honestly looked at more of these seat connectors than I have, and may be able to confirm.

M² Mods.

AustinsRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The two pink and yellow wires go to pin#7 and 8 in the drivers yellow connector not the drivers grey connector. Not sure if you typed that by mistake. Non of the wires from the PDC go to the drivers gray 20 pin connector. There is a possibility you have your wires connected incorrectly in the PDC or possibly a bad crimp or connection. It's hard to say without seeing it in person. These things are touchy. It's probably something simple. There are no other DTC codes?

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

I did a full check of all my wiring today, traced everything and looked for any shorts but nothing. That was a mistype, I meant yellow connector. I cleared codes because I noticed I wired the heating steering wheel wrong by swapping the 2 wires. Now I'm only getting one code and it's U0147. The hard button turns on for 7-8 seconds then shuts off. That U0147 code is Lost Communication With Gateway. Maybe it's because I tapped into obd port?

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am finally ready to do the seat swap on my 2019 Ram 1500 Regular Cab Classic. The truck is a Tradesman but has lots of factory upgrades, it's not your typical stripped out version. I have been looking everywhere for a set out of a 2500 that will have the center leather seat as well, I have looked all over Ebay and Car-part with no luck or they want to sell the front and back set for over $2500 or they will severely damaged with airbag blow. l am not sure how expensive it would be to repair seats that have had airbags deploy. I removed the seats and took pics and measurements of the tracks and wiring harness. I have even considered bolting Challenger seats to my tracks. Does it look like all the wiring is there for the leather seat with heated and cooled conversion and do you guys know where I can locate some nice seats?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NdTL53Hsoqw4rwvY6
Your truck has the correct wiring for heated/vented seats and heated wheel. All Regular Cabs have the same harness no matter what the trim level is. They use the same harness because they build so few of them. Your truck is not wired for the memory seat or memory pedals option. You would need to add that if you wanted it. Any seats from a 13 to 18 or 19 up Classic 1500,2500 or 3500 should work fine. They are all the same. There is no difference in the seats themselves for the jump seat or console

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did a full check of all my wiring today, traced everything and looked for any shorts but nothing. That was a mistype, I meant yellow connector. I cleared codes because I noticed I wired the heating steering wheel wrong by swapping the 2 wires. Now I'm only getting one code and it's U0147. The hard button turns on for 7-8 seconds then shuts off. That U0147 code is Lost Communication With Gateway. Maybe it's because I tapped into obd port?
I originally hooked mine to the OBD port when I figured out the wiring for the seats and they worked fine Are you sure you have the + and - CAN connected properly?

Last edited:

HEMI-FI

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your truck has the correct wiring for heated/vented seats and heated wheel. All Regular Cabs have the same harness no matter what the trim level is. They use the same harness because they build so few of them. Your truck is not wired for the memory seat or memory pedals option. You would need to add that if you wanted it. Any seats from a 13 to 18 or 19 up Classic 1500,2500 or 3500 should work fine. They are all the same. There is no difference in the seats themselves for the jump seat or console

I need to figure out what to change in the BCM to enable the seats, I'm having the dealership program my Mopar remote start and he's pissed that I programmed the BCM.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
See these post for details
https://www.ramforum.com/posts/2024966/.

To https://www.ramforum.com/posts/2025119/.

I believe this sums it up if I didn't miss anything...
Heated/Vented Seats with Heated Wheel (with Rear Heated Seats):

Memory-Front Vented Seats Present
ECUConfig 3-Front Vented Seats Present
ECUConfig 3-Front Heated Seats Present
ECUConfig 3-Heated Steering Wheel Present
Memory- Rear Heated Seats Present (for rear heat only)
CustSetMenu 1-Auto-on driver comfort CSM (option 2-3) w/8.4 radio only
Memory-Heated Steering Wheel Present
ECUConfig 4-Heated Seat Present
Memory-Heated Wheel Material Type
Memory-Heated Seat Material Type

Additional Memory settings from the AlfaOBD thread “known working codes list”.

Memory seats, Mirrors, Easy Exit Seats and Memory Linked to Fob:
Memory Seat:
Cabin Net - MSM Memory Seat module
Memory - Memory Seat Present
ECUConfig 3 - Memory CSO Present
Easy Exit Seat:
CustSetMenu 1 - Easy exit seat CSM
RKE Linked to Memory:
CustSetMenu 2 - RKE linked to memory CSM
Memory Mirrors:
Doors - Passenger Memory Mirror Present
Doors - Driver Memory Mirrors Present

Note (from Rick posted elsewhere):
You have to pin the 4 wires in the yellow driver's seat plug in order for them to work. Two to the CAN pin #5 and #6 and two to the drivers door module. Pin #2 and #13. You don’t need memory mirrors for the memory seats to work but you do need to be wired to the door module. ~Ricks_Ram

And possibly...
.... I got the latest version of the seat interface module and it didn't change anything. I even turned off all the settings, gave it a couple of days and re-enabled them.
** About a week later I found a setting in Alfa at the very bottom of the list called

"Cabin Net - HSM Heated Seat Module Initialize"

and changed it to "Enabled". **

After the truck went to sleep the buttons appeared on the screen and everything is good to go. Not 100% sure this wouldn't have worked with the stock module off of the 2014 Laramie seats.

M² Mods.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I need to figure out what to change in the BCM to enable the seats, I'm having the dealership program my Mopar remote start and he's pissed that I programmed the BCM.
You could have just programed the remote start yourself. Remember anytime the dealer programs anything in your truck it will automatically revert your BCM to the factory settings which means you will need to re enable any codes you had previously installed.

HEMI-FI

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You could have just programed the remote start yourself. Remember anytime the dealer programs anything in your truck it will automatically revert your BCM to the factory settings which means you will need to re enable any codes you had previously installed.

I had them do it because I have Uconnect Guardian and wanted to be able to start the truck from the website or APP, otherwise I would of done it myself.

AustinsRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I originally hooked mine to the OBD port when I figured out the wiring for the seats and they worked fine Are you sure you have the + and - CAN connected properly?

I checked that and it looked fine. I think if I hooked it up wrong then I wouldn't be able to connect to the heated seat module on alfaobd right? So maybe the issue is not the can wiring. Could it be because I have 2018 seats/module or because I don't have the 8.4 screen? I have no idea what to do at this point.

AustinsRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On first startup of the truck, I hear a click in the module when I press a hard button, 7-8 seconds later I hear another click and button goes off. If I click the button again then I don't hear any click and button goes off after 2 seconds. I have to restart my truck to hear the click again.

AustinsRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just restarted my truck and tried vented seats and I heard the click and heard the fans turn on for the cooling seats. 7-8 seconds later button and fans shut off.

AustinsRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another thing I noticed is when I click on drivers cooling it starts at 2 lights then immediately goes to 1 light. If I click the passenger cooling button. It starts at 2 lights and stays.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another thing I noticed is when I click on drivers cooling it starts at 2 lights then immediately goes to 1 light. If I click the passenger cooling button. It starts at 2 lights and stays.
I was unaware that you didn't have the 8.4 screen. In almost all cases the vented seats will not work without the 8.4 head unit. The heated seats will usually work without it. If you can connect to the HSM it would appear that you are correctly connected to the CAN system. I have only heard of the vented seats working one time without the 8.4' screen but I didn't see it in person. It could possibly be the heater control module causing your issues but I'm pretty sure the 18 seats should work fine. Another thing to note is the 2013 trucks take a different switch panel than the 14 up trucks. Without actually seeing it and troubleshooting it in person it's definitely hard to narrow down the issue at this point since you feel confident that all the wiring is correct.

AustinsRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was unaware that you didn't have the 8.4 screen. In almost all cases the vented seats will not work without the 8.4 head unit. The heated seats will usually work without it. If you can connect to the HSM it would appear that you are correctly connected to the CAN system. I have only heard of the vented seats working one time without the 8.4' screen but I didn't see it in person. It could possibly be the heater control module causing your issues but I'm pretty sure the 18 seats should work fine. Another thing to note is the 2013 trucks take a different switch panel than the 14 up trucks. Without actually seeing it and troubleshooting it in person it's definitely hard to narrow down the issue at this point since you feel confident that all the wiring is correct.

I took the switch panel out of a 2018 and put into my 2014 which fits fine and traction/tow works. And yeah I understand there's only so much you can do without seeing it. Do you know any places that would specialize in these things. I would bring to dealer but I don't think they could do much or if they will even do anything lol

AustinsRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm going to check all the wiring again and scan it again tomorrow. I've been tracing my wires by hand but I think I'm just going to go ahead and purchase a toner and wand and make sure everything is correct.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would definitely use a multimeter to check ignition on run power in pin# 7 and 8 in the driver's seat yellow connector. Tbry should have power when the truck is running. Also verify that you have all the wires connected to the PDC in the correct location and then check to make sure all the wires have a good connection with the multimeter.

HEMI-FI

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the dealership program the remote start on my 2019 and they reprogrammed all the control modules to get it to work, they had lots of issues, needless to say the function does not show on the Guardian app or website, Uconnect says if it didn't have it from the factory, it won't work on the Guardian. The remote start works but not on app, just lock features, I
m slightly disappointed. Does anyone know a way to add it and who has the part number for the control switch panel for my new heated and cooled seats?

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the dealership program the remote start on my 2019 and they reprogrammed all the control modules to get it to work, they had lots of issues, needless to say the function does not show on the Guardian app or website, Uconnect says if it didn't have it from the factory, it won't work on the Guardian. The remote start works but not on app, just lock features, I
m slightly disappointed. Does anyone know a way to add it and who has the part number for the control switch panel for my new heated and cooled seats?
I have seen others with the same issue when their trucks didn't come with remote start from the factory. My truck is the same way. Honestly I didn't really care if I could start my truck from my phone because I really didn’t have a need for it but I can see where some people might. As far as your switch panel goes it all depends on what options your truck has. Contact Benny @AllMoparParts.com who is in the vendor section of the forum and tell him the year trim level and model of your truck and all the options your current switch panel has like tow/haul, traction control, rear park assist, ect and tell him you need a switch with those options plus the heated/vented seats and heated wheel. He will give you the part# and you can order it from them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

HEMI-FI

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have seen others with the same issue when their trucks didn't come with remote start from the factory. My truck is the same way. Honestly I didn't really care if I could start my truck from my phone because I really didn’t have a need for it but I can see where some people might. As far as your switch panel goes it all depends on what options your truck has. Contact Benny @AllMoparParts.com who is in the vendor section of the forum and tell him the year trim level and model of your truck and all the options your current switch panel has like tow/haul, traction control, rear park assist, ect and tell him you need a switch with those options plus the heated/vented seats and heated wheel. He will give you the part# and you can order it from them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The main reason I want the feature is to remote start it from work during the winter and phones aren't allowed so I use the Mopar website for the other vehicle.