How to add remote start to 2017 Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Moab_Rockstar

Moab_Rockstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
5.9L

If you did a straight short, the voltage signal is too high and will give a circuit short fault. But if you put a 1k ohm resistor across the pins (that's what the switch is when closed), it will show hood as "closed" all the time, and remote start should work if everything turned on. The danger there is working under the hood and someone is playing with the remote.

Avgas

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
If you did a straight short, the voltage signal is too high and will give a circuit short fault. But if you put a 1k ohm resistor across the pins (that's what the switch is when closed), it will show hood as "closed" all the time, and remote start should work if everything turned on. The danger there is working under the hood and someone is playing with the remote.

Ok, so you're telling me if i add the resistor, get a new face plate for my remote, and get the sales code flashed, it will be all i need for my 2015 1500 express black edition?

OP
OP
Moab_Rockstar

Moab_Rockstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
5.9L
Ok, so you're telling me if i add the resistor, get a new face plate for my remote, and get the sales code flashed, it will be all i need for my 2015 1500 express black edition?

No. This procedure is only for 2017 trucks. 2015 requires more hardware changes. RF hub, RF antenna, and ignition switch module I believe. There is a Mopar kit for 2015.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
No. This procedure is only for 2017 trucks. 2015 requires more hardware changes. RF hub, RF antenna, and ignition switch module I believe. There is a Mopar kit for 2015.

There is a Mopar kit for 2017 now also. It's p/n 82215050

OP
OP
Moab_Rockstar

Moab_Rockstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
5.9L
There is a Mopar kit for 2017 now also. It's p/n 82215050

Oh man, their procedure is just plain silly. They have the tech/installer for the mopar kit running the wires directly to the BCM C1 connector, pulling out the pin that's already populated, and replacing it with the new harness pin. The ground is the ground I guess, but the procedure is A LOT more invasive than it needs to be.

I'm not sure about their compatibility claims, the 1500 and 2500/3500 definitely have different part numbers for the hood latch. The compatibility tab only lists 1500, but the description lists 5.7, 6.4L, 3.0L, 6.7L. I suppose it's possible they made two different part numbers for the same part, but it isn't listed as such in the supersedence.
https://mopar.chromedata.com/NextGen/C1111#/productDetails/10474162/258755787

The price is better than I had predicted though. I wonder what the labor cost is...

Last edited:

jcarden10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My neighbor recently bought a 2017 2500 Tradesman diesel. Anyone know if this same install would work on diesel's or would something else be needed to ensure the glow plugs have time to heat up?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Moab_Rockstar

Moab_Rockstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
5.9L
My neighbor recently bought a 2017 2500 Tradesman diesel. Anyone know if this same install would work on diesel's or would something else be needed to ensure the glow plugs have time to heat up?

It should work. Diesel has the same hood latch and RF hub as a gasoline 2500/3500. Any delay for glow plugs should be in the PCM or BCM software. The Mopar kit that's available now lists compatibility with all engines, all it contains are the hood latch, harness, and keys.

17_Ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello

I have a question. I just bought an 2017 Ram 1500 SXT (Canada) and want to add remote start, I was looking near the non remote start hood latch and see a wiring plug connector that looks like the connector you show in the picture.

Can I just buy the hood latch, the key fobs and get it programmed?

Thanks for the help in advance.

OP
OP
Moab_Rockstar

Moab_Rockstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
5.9L
If you have the plug there, all you should need is the hood switch. Your existing key fobs will work, you just need the button inlays with a remote start button.

All that's left after that is for the dealer to add the remote start code to your VIN. After that, they can use WiTech to enable the software bits in your various modules to turn the feature on. Then they have to do a PIN unlock/reset on the RF Hub to learn the BCM changes. It should take them half an hour max to turn everything on.

Making you buy new key fobs is stupid, and just adds a needless layer of complexity and cost. They do it to sell more parts, but it's stupid. It probably costs an extra 15 dollars to just build every truck with remote start. They should just make it a standard feature already.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Last edited:

17_Ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have the plug there, all you should need is the hood switch. Your existing key fobs will work, you just need the button inlays with a remote start button.

All that's left after that is for the dealer to add the remote start code to your VIN. After that, they can use WiTech to enable the software bits in your various modules to turn the feature on. Then they have to do a PIN unlock/reset on the RF Hub to learn the BCM changes. It should take them half an hour max to turn everything on.

Making you buy new key fobs is stupid, and just adds a needless layer of complexity and cost. They do it to sell more parts, but it's stupid. It probably costs an extra 15 dollars to just build every truck with remote start. They should just make it a standard feature already.

Thank you for getting back to me. I will order the latch and button inlay.

Thanks
Peter

OP
OP
Moab_Rockstar

Moab_Rockstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
5.9L
So looks like about $60 minus the key inlay and dealer programming. I'm trying to price the inlay. I see what appears to be a full key? Are you just saying swap the button part out from the cheap key to my OEM key? Are you talking about something like this just to get the button: https://www.amazon.com/Keyless-Butt...8239&sr=8-3&keywords=ram+key+fob+remote+start

That's a entire key fob. All you need to do is replace the buttons. You could still get that and swap the boards though.

https://www.amazon.com/QualityKeyle...318&sr=1-22&keywords=replacement+button+dodge

With some of these button replacements, I've had issues with the panic buttons sitting too high, and the alarm will sound when you insert into the ignition sometimes. An entire key fob can be had fairly cheap, but these are a little more cost effective if you're as cheap as I am. ;)

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Perfect thanks! I so overall its very cheap minus I don't know the dealer flash cost yet. I was just there having my water pump replaced I should have asked them. Any idea of an average from the dealer to do the flash? $50?

OP
OP
Moab_Rockstar

Moab_Rockstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
5.9L
It probably varies by dealer. The last time I asked, they said 60 bucks I think to program a new key, on top of the key price.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Called the dealer I normally go to for service and what not. I'm not 100% sure he understood what I was asking because he quoted me $130 to flash and program a key. Wondering if he thought I meant if I bring in the entire mopar remote kit and they install it? $130 seemed high. Tried to call another dealer but they refuse to answer their service phone half the time.

Honestly at 130 plus the parts cost I'd probably just go aftermarket and get one that has much further range and 2 way and iphone connectivity. I've read quite a few complaints on here about the range of the OEM module. If I can't start it from inside work or my house there is zero point to remote start. Anyone have issues with range?

OP
OP
Moab_Rockstar

Moab_Rockstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
5.9L
I've read quite a few complaints on here about the range of the OEM module. If I can't start it from inside work or my house there is zero point to remote start. Anyone have issues with range?

It can vary. I've had no trouble with the remote in the parking structure at work, I'll hit remote start when I'm at one end, and the truck is at the other 400 feet away. If you need farther than that, it probably isn't going to work as well. I think they are supposed to work up to 500 feet. If you have the 8.4 radio, you can supposedly start the vehicle from your phone with the UConnect app, but you have to have the service, and that's an annual fee of course. I'm not sure how it is with aftermarket remote start kits. I can't imagine them giving out app service for free, but it might be a better price. You have to go with what fits your needs. Good luck.

17_Ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I install the hood latch and hooked it up to the factory plug in the harness. Got it programmed and got a circuit open error so I looked under the PDC at the connector. The front harness has the pins but not the body side.

Do you happen to know what type of pins and sockets the connector at the junction under the PDC and the BCM need? Or if you can get the harness from the remote kit separated?

Thanks
Peter

OP
OP
Moab_Rockstar

Moab_Rockstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
5.9L
I install the hood latch and hooked it up to the factory plug in the harness. Got it programmed and got a circuit open error so I looked under the PDC at the connector. The front harness has the pins but not the body side.

Do you happen to know what type of pins and sockets the connector at the junction under the PDC and the BCM need? Or if you can get the harness from the remote kit separated?

Thanks
Peter

That's nuts. There are a bunch of part numbers for the under hood harness now that weren't there before. In the schematics, regardless of engine, it's indicated that pins 5 and 6 should be populated in that connector. However, now the BCM connectors can be either populated or not, and there's no indication to trim or any other note in the schematics. Friggin Connector Anarchy.

There's a terminal repair kit on mopar:
68358176AA 1.5mm Male Sealed Tin - 16ga (for front end connector)
list price is $69.45 USD at the dealer, some other parts sites have it for around 45-50. I can't find anything for the BCM side, just says "No terminal repair kits have been identified." The BCM side sockets might be in the above kit, but they aren't very good about telling you the contents. On the BCM, connector C1/A pin 11 is the sensor signal, connector C4/D pin 23 is the sensor ground. The ground can go anywhere that is grounded. The Mopar remote start install kit has the sensor ground go to a body bolt.

Mopar Connection Repair Kit

BCM
55618d1439141146-installing_oem_backup_cam-bcm_module_connectors.jpg

C1/A
picture.php

C4/D
picture.php