How to Fluid Film your truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So upon further research, Woolwax is a competitor of FF. The link I posted was to a distributor of both WW and FF. But if you go to FFs website it says nothing about WW.

So anyone that uses WW please post your results as compared to FF

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Personally I think the better options are the non-lanolin based stuff (Corrosion Free Rust Cure, NH Oil Undercoating, etc).

There is no smell to get rid of because it doesnt contain "wet sheep" and since they look to be synthetic, there is the ability to possibly have actual rust resistant coatings/chemicals mixed in with them.

They are more expensive, though. In the grand scheme of things not a huge deal since our trucks seem to be OK with about 1 gallon of material. I can get FF for 40-ish per gallon, the Corrosion Free stuff is 65 per gallon.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great video!

People doing the "POR 15 everything undercarriage" should pay attention. POR15 is great if you can absolutely prep perfectly, but with a truck that is already assembled, not quite.

Any form of spray oil FTW, imho.

PumpkinStealer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So upon further research, Woolwax is a competitor of FF. The link I posted was to a distributor of both WW and FF. But if you go to FFs website it says nothing about WW.

So anyone that uses WW please post your results as compared to FF

I still have some FF to use up but I think I will supplement with some of the WW aerosol cans instead of the FF ones. Hopefully the 360 attachment fits them.

Also, found this video from Bob at Kells ports.

Last edited:

PumpkinStealer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just ordered a few cans of woolwax along with a new 360 degree nuzzle. Will update once it arrives.

I will use them in conjunction with my half gallon of fluid film when I reapply my truck and do my dad's 2018 1500 this fall.

Looks like the cans are a slightly better deal than FF because they are 12oz VS 11.75 but nearly the same price, maybe a tad cheaper. The gallon seems to be $5-10 more expensive from what I have seen.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I still have some FF to use up but I think I will supplement with some of the WW aerosol cans instead of the FF ones. Hopefully the 360 attachment fits them.

Also, found this video from Bob at Kells ports.

Yep, I used it to spray FF on the replacement bed for my old Frontier. Mixed a gallon of fluid film using one of those single gallon paint mixer attachments for my drill. Once it was as liquidy as I could get it, loaded it right into the gun and sprayed away. No issues at all. It was also hot out that day which helped keep the FF flowing, Im sure.

PumpkinStealer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got my cans of woolwax in and figured I would give y'all my impression.

First thing I noticed is the cans are not as nice as the FF cans for two reasons. 1.The cap cracked as I was just taking it off, and 2. The straw just comes taped to the side as opposed to FF which has the little straw holder built into the cap.

Smell: Definitely smells a lot less and a lot better.

Performance: it is a little thicker as advertised, I sprayed some side by side with FF and it is also much clearer and less tan, I am interested in their black version. I only just put it on my truck so I cannot say how it holds up though.

Side note: I used some to lube up my dog's tie out and it works works better than ever and isn't hard to latch from rust anymore.

T_Unit114

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sub'd

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Thicker is not always better.

In the end its all about how long it STAYS and not only that but how long it stays FLUID. If the product starts to harden/solidify or dry in any way and leaves solids behind that is a recipe for trapping moisture.

As of right now I’ll continue using FF. It stays put and stays fluid for longer than i ever need.

If i used anything different it would absolutely be “Corrosion Free”.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

KevinInVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I am pretty amazed how well the Corrosion Free has held up. I applied well before winter and could see it creep the following weeks. Now winter has passed and I finally washed my truck. Took some elbow grease to get it off the body panels. Few days later I see it creeping back on my tailgate bottom and door weep holes. Undercarriage looks like I just sprayed it.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well it's that time of year again to Fluid Film the truck. I was very pleased to find that about 75% of what I sprayed on last year was still there. The high wash areas needed to be reapplied but that's it really. Very please with how my 6.5 year old truck looks underneath.

@U&A thanks for the tip on Fluid Film AR, I applied it to the wheel well lips last year and it's still there! Stuff is tenacious as hell!

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great reminder, thanks!

I might try the FF AR stuff for my wheel wells, but sticking with Corrosion Free for everything else since Ive had good luck with it for the 2 years Ive owned the truck.

Reactions: U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Corey and i have been talking about this stuff. Let is know your thoughts

https://nhoilundercoating.com/

Here is what i have to say.

FYI: Corey and i both can not argue with the results of FF.

Im interested. But like you i cant argue with FF result.

I also already have a hard time paying $39 for 1 gallon for FF. That NH oil is the closest in price (compared to others) at around $49 for 1 gallon

FF 5 gallon is $182.99
NH oil 5 gallon is $199.99

I will MAY try it next time IF im feeling up to the cost.

But the kicker is the spray cans that i use for doors and stuff.

FF cans are $8 if you buy individually

NH cans are $29

FF case of 6 is like $6 a can

NH case if 12 is $12 a can...... **** me that is to much man.

SO **** THAT. If I do use NH oil it will only be in the gallons and I’ll still use fluid film in the cans.

The other thing that I used to worry about is the plastics under The truck. But I guarantee (now after experience) the plastic that is under the truck is oil safe. I bet even all the rubber is to. The only thing that I know for a fact that does not react well with fluid film is your door seals. The bottom of my drivers door seal doesn’t have a straight spot on it.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Well it's that time of year again to Fluid Film the truck. I was very pleased to find that about 75% of what I sprayed on last year was still there. The high wash areas needed to be reapplied but that's it really. Very please with how my 6.5 year old truck looks underneath.

@U&A thanks for the tip on Fluid Film AR, I applied it to the wheel well lips last year and it's still there! Stuff is tenacious as hell!

Good to hear.

This year im hoping to take the time to remove my wheel well liners and clean that lip off real good. Than apply AR

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
[emoji847][emoji847]

FYI:

Corey, you are right. I wait until it’s too cold to spray my truck and that is the reason that it is so thick and I need to heat it. Right now the stuff is pretty liquidy.

I guess I have to stop spraying at the end of October

06c8bffbf7a9b39983eda85645a7c357.jpgc14b50c1eb502fd64870bb4b632eb6f1.jpg