How to Fluid Film your truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

monkers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad Cab White
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you for this write up, it is excellent, and very informative!! Thanks to all that contribute to it. I see some "plugs" mentioned, Mopar part number 68043989AA, these are the "small" plugs facing down on the outerside of the rockers, correct? Does anyone make plugs for the larger oblong holes on the innerside (nearest to the frame) that usually have tape over them? I am going to order the spray can kit with the "wand" to do this and would like to use plugs on the inner holes instead of the tape. The factory tape peeled off mine. Do they make a "wand" for the electric sprayer from Harbor Freight? I only have a small pancake type compressor for brad nailer guns. Thanks again to all that have added to this thread, hopefully it will help my old girl in the ****** upstate NY winters with the brine and salt they use.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you for this write up, it is excellent, and very informative!! Thanks to all that contribute to it. I see some "plugs" mentioned, Mopar part number 68043989AA, these are the "small" plugs facing down on the outerside of the rockers, correct? Does anyone make plugs for the larger oblong holes on the innerside (nearest to the frame) that usually have tape over them? I am going to order the spray can kit with the "wand" to do this and would like to use plugs on the inner holes instead of the tape. The factory tape peeled off mine. Do they make a "wand" for the electric sprayer from Harbor Freight? I only have a small pancake type compressor for brad nailer guns. Thanks again to all that have added to this thread, hopefully it will help my old girl in the ****** upstate NY winters with the brine and salt they use.

I have yet to find any plugs for those inner rocker holes, I would definitely be interested in those as well. Once you Fluid Film it that tape that's there from the factory doesn't last long...

As far as the electric sprayer goes, I don't know if they make a wand for it. You can do it with a pancake compressor, it will just take a lot longer...

kidmandudebro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was quoted $400 to have this Fluid film done 2.5 hours. Local shop here in Connecticut.

Seems little expensive but than again everything is these days.

I have appointment with Dodge dealer this Friday to address surface rust on hood and a few other locations as well as underneath.

for 2016 truck I don't think my hood should be rusting nor some areas beneath the truck.

Yes I live by the ocean. But WTF... I wash and maintain my vehicle weekly.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was quoted $400 to have this Fluid film done 2.5 hours. Local shop here in Connecticut.

I have appointment with Dodge dealer this Friday to address surface rust on hood and a few other locations as well as underneath.

for 2016 truck I don't think my hood should be rusting nor some areas beneath the truck.

Yeah that's a bit steep for a FF application. Most Krown or NHOU shops charge $150-200 for an application...

Is it the corners of the hood by the grill by any chance?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Man, I wish I was still detailing if you can get 400 bucks for a FF, damn.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Man, I wish I was still detailing if you can get 400 bucks for a FF, damn.

RIGHT??

My brother and I were just joking with each other the other day that we should start doing woolwax / FF jobs as side work. You can easily get by with the cheaper spray gun from Kellsportproducts. That's what I have.

You can get the pro gun kit w/ 5gal pail of FF or WW for $259 and that comes with a bunch of other stuff. That's enough to 10+ Ram 1500s.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Whereabouts in CT?

I got a quote last year for a place where I live (Milford CT), they wanted $275 to apply NH oil undercoating. IMHO NH Oil is a better product than FF, and $275 is probably about right for application cost.

I use a product very similar to the NH oil stuff, its $65 per gallon and I apply it myself once a year. Takes me a couple hours but I really "go for it", removing the wheel well liners, etc to make sure it gets where I need it. I use almost the whole 1 gallon I buy every year.

kidmandudebro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah that's a bit steep for a FF application. Most Krown or NHOU shops charge $150-200 for an application...

Is it the corners of the hood by the grill by any chance?

Almost dead center on my hood towards the edge of the front. I'll take pics.

kidmandudebro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Whereabouts in CT?

I got a quote last year for a place where I live (Milford CT), they wanted $275 to apply NH oil undercoating. IMHO NH Oil is a better product than FF, and $275 is probably about right for application cost.

I use a product very similar to the NH oil stuff, its $65 per gallon and I apply it myself once a year. Takes me a couple hours but I really "go for it", removing the wheel well liners, etc to make sure it gets where I need it. I use almost the whole 1 gallon I buy every year.

I live in West Haven, whats up neighbor! :)

The place i was quoted $400 from was called Filmco Rust Protection in Branford, CT (203-483-5017) they said 2.5 hours total time. I thought it was a bit expensive.

LMk the place in Milford.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I live in West Haven, whats up neighbor! :)

The place i was quoted $400 from was called Filmco Rust Protection in Branford, CT (203-483-5017) they said 2.5 hours total time. I thought it was a bit expensive.

LMk the place in Milford.

Whats up!

A friend of mine from farther upstate uses the place in Branford, but he is a business so he just takes a bunch of trucks there to get done at once.

The place in Milford is Bullet Liner Of Milford (they do spray in bed liners, but undercoating as well):

http://bulletlinerofmilford.com/underbody-rust-protection.shtml

LMK how it goes!

kidmandudebro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

kidmandudebro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Made my appointment for undercoating. Thanks Chris!

Also Chrysler is stepping up and fixing my rust but just my hood, any other areas forget about it. :)

The dealership near me up here rocks all the workers are awesome! There building the file/case now. So fingers still crossed i guess.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Made my appointment for undercoating. Thanks Chris!

Also Chrysler is stepping up and fixing my rust but just my hood, any other areas forget about it. :)

The dealership near me up here rocks all the workers are awesome! There building the file/case now. So fingers still crossed i guess.

Which dealer?

Branhaven?

Gus0316

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I added CRC Heavy Duty Rust Inhibitor on all areas where fluid Film might experience heat or rock hits. The front inner fender area at rockers and along the bottom of the rockers where the factory spot welds are and into the gaps as seen from below.
I also coated the rear exhaust to near the tips with it (Cosmoline). I definitely recommend wearing a respirator doing this please. And do not spray the CRC while smoking or anything hot/energized nearby. I still have some time before the salt. But they use slurry on the dirt road I live on to reduce dust apparently.. and my M35A2 has seen some serious onset as a result.IMG_20200907_011458227.jpg IMG_20200906_221944039.jpg Thank You Hemi395 for starting the thread and everyone here, all of your collective work. I joined this forum after seeing your posts. Just like you I hate rust.

Gus0316

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I forgot to mention, I used CRC SX128 (Salt Terminator) through my Pressure Washer on the Truck and let it dry for 24 hours before Fluid Film application.

If like Me you are on a well make sure to bypass your Water Softener and run hoses out of salt first.

I just ordered Salt Away for the Deuce and about to do a rear Main seal on it. Anyone wanna help pull a Spicer 3053A? Lol

Gus0316

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also used the can red tips and shot FF inside all four fender flares. It is wicking nicely around the bolts.

Just ordered 3 more Gallons to hit the Deuce as I am sure it will gobble it up.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I added CRC Heavy Duty Rust Inhibitor on all areas where fluid Film might experience heat or rock hits. The front inner fender area at rockers and along the bottom of the rockers where the factory spot welds are and into the gaps as seen from below.
I also coated the rear exhaust to near the tips with it (Cosmoline). I definitely recommend wearing a respirator doing this please. And do not spray the CRC while smoking or anything hot/energized nearby. I still have some time before the salt. But they use slurry on the dirt road I live on to reduce dust apparently.. and my M35A2 has seen some serious onset as a result.View attachment 221272 View attachment 221271 Thank You Hemi395 for starting the thread and everyone here, all of your collective work. I joined this forum after seeing your posts. Just like you I hate rust.
You're welcome[emoji106]

Yeah the CRC/Amsoil HD Metal Protector are great products for places that get sprayed with water often because they resist wash off. They are a waxy cosmoline based product and form a semi permanent coating. I used Amsoil HD MP on the caps of my new ujoints so they won't rust and will make for an easy replacement next time. Just gotta let it dry overnight and it stays put even on a spinning driveshaft.

They only thing I would do is check it periodically to make sure it hasn't deteriorated or cracked with age...