How to Fluid Film your truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sprayed my truck with Woolwax this time. I still saw some remnants of the WW I sprayed on it last October and I figured I'd use that again.

My only concern with WW is bscause it's thicker, does it creep into existing rust and cracks/crevices like FF does? So I sprayed a spot of FF and WW onto a rusty piece of metal on Sunday and checked it tonight. Both are creeping about the same which is good news. Top spot is WW and bottom is FF.

Attachments

• 20211010_122714.jpg
    20211010_122714.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20211013_165939.jpg
    20211013_165939.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: U&A

roadrnnr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
it is supposed to. I switched to woolwax about 3 years ago. love it

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Just spent today doing the annual FF. Used up the last of the 5 gallon bucket i got a few years ago. I had more left than I thought but it worked out as i power washed the crap out of the underbody a few times over the past few weeks to prep.

I used 2 gallons:birgits_tiredcoffee

Most I ever used. She is coated really well. Next is the inside of the doors, rockers and all that jazz.

Next year Ill try WW i think

Attachments

• 3FC2E3FE-08CE-45DA-A898-BE4750D10B99.jpeg
    3FC2E3FE-08CE-45DA-A898-BE4750D10B99.jpeg
    199.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 68D9C808-AAEC-4689-A84B-0478BB024588.jpeg
    68D9C808-AAEC-4689-A84B-0478BB024588.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just spent today doing the annual FF. Used up the last of the 5 gallon bucket i got a few years ago. I had more left than I thought but it worked out as i power washed the crap out of the underbody a few times over the past few weeks to prep.

I used 2 gallons:birgits_tiredcoffee

Most I ever used. She is coated really well. Next is the inside of the doors, rockers and all that jazz.

Next year Ill try WW i think
Looks like you have 0 rust starting under your truck, looks great!

How hard did the residual FF and dirt come off with a power washer?

Reactions: U&A

Elvira

Reaction score
I get mine done professionally from Rust Check yearly. Have always done on any vehicle i have owned. Crawl underneath and it looks like the same day it was made. other than being coated every where, there is the thick film that never hardens and will get all over you if you are not careful...small price to pay to keep it in excellent shape.

Last edited:

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Looks like you have 0 rust starting under your truck, looks great!

How hard did the residual FF and dirt come off with a power washer?
Pretty hard

I never got it all by any means. But the heavy/thick spots of mud/FF mixture all came off. My old 2100psi power washer would not do it hardly at all unless I used the “0 degree” nozzle. But that is to time consuming and hard on certain stuff. Our new 3200 psi wash took it off with the 15 degree nozzle.

It definitely made it look better under there as it was getting pretty caked on in spots. And it revealed rust free steel underneath.

Im super happy with the performance of FF.

The first 2 years I did a fall and spring application with the spring one being very light. The 3 years after that were just a heavy fall application. I try to do the doors, hood, pillers and higher up places every other year and the inside of the frame, rockers (inner AND outer) cross tubes on the frame, tailgate bed sides, fenders, wheel well liner lip...... yada yada high wash areas every year.

There ar 2 places with very minimal surface rust in spots.

Between the leaf springs .... and i spray them as best i can. I also shoot some penetrating oil between them a few times a year (when I remember)

The other spot is the steering box. It is cast iron though. And its not noticeable unless you look for the rust.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
NICE! What parts did you use? Price?
Under $75 total. Amazon has the 4 nozzle washer with castors and extensions now as a kit for less than $50. Search underbody washer. I bought the extensions at Lowes to match the fittings on my pressure washer. You'll need an adapter to hook two sections of the extensions together. Could use a dollar store pool noodle to protect your rockers by padding the extensions. I was surprised the uses I had for this after putting it together several years ago.

Lee Pedrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thought I'd start a thread about how to spray Fluid Film or equivalent on the undercarriage of a Ram for those of us who live in the northern states that see a lot of road salt. Living in New England, we get the salt air year round and road salt in the winter and I have seen several older 4th gens with rotted out cab corners, rocker panels, door bottoms, tailgate bottom, and rear wheel wells.

To do this you will need the following:

-Fluid Film, 1 Gallon and 1 spray can or 6-8 spray cans if you don't have the following kit
-Ideally you want this kit, you can use the gallon conainers which is cheaper in the long run Fluid Film Kit for Compressor
-360* Wand for the spray cans (the above kit comes with it but you can buy it separately) Spray Can 360* Wand
-80 Grit sand paper for any scaly rust
-1/8" drill bit and drill
-Clothes you don't care about
-Tarp of some kind to keep the Fluid Film from getting on the ground
-Tools to remove front and rear wheel well liners and tailgate access panel

First thing you're going to want to do is thoroughly wash the under carriage of your truck. Spray everywhere you can get the sprayer including inside the boxed frame. I usually put my truck on ramps to do this for ease of getting under the truck and it help the water drain out of the frame. This is something I would recommend doing every April or May after the road salt has disapeared anyway. Let the truck dry for a good solid 24 hours or better yet a few days.

Next put the truck up on ramps/jackstands/jacks as high as you can do safely. A lift would be ideal. Remove the spare tire.

Now comes the fun part. Give the frame and underside a good visual inspection looking for any flaky scaly rust and get that off with the sand paper or screwdriver or whatever you can. Surface prep isn't needed for Fluid Film, just removal of loose rust.

Once you're satisfied with that its time to start spraying Fluid Film first inside the crevaces and then liberally on everything else. Try to avoid rubber parts, bushings, and the exhaust system if possible. The following directions are assumming you have the kit that works on an air compressor but you can do all of this with spray cans and the 360* wand.

Start with the hard to reach areas first. The areas to pay particular attention to are inside the entire length of the boxed frame, body mounts, bed mounts, cab supports, frame crossmembers, gas tank straps, above the rear wheel wells, bed supports, wheel well lips, inside the front fenders where there is a fiberglass tape, and anywhere else that you can get the 360* wand. If its the first time doing this, coat it liberally, then coat it again. It won't hurt anything. I stick the wand inside whatever I'm trying to coat and then start spraying as I slowly pull it out. THis way the wand won't scrape the coating off. You will also want to get the gasket between the bed and the cab as this is notorious for rubbing the paint off the cab which will rust if not treated.

I always hit my parking brake linkages

View attachment 390514View attachment 390515View attachment 390516
View attachment 390517

View attachment 390518

Picture of the fiberglass tape on the inside of the front fender

View attachment 390519

Picture of the rust forming under the fiberglass tape

View attachment 390520

What can happen if rust forms under the fiberglass tape

View attachment 390521

Great places in the front frame sections to get your 360* wand inside the frame

View attachment 390522
View attachment 390523

What can happen to the cab if the gasket between the cab and the bed isn't rustproofed

View attachment 390524

This is where you want to get the 360 wand up into to prevent the rear wheel wells from rotting out

View attachment 390525

The gas tank straps mounting plates have a huge design flaw. There are no drain holes in them so the water/salt/dirt gets inside and just sits there rotting it out. You are going to want to drill drain holes in the two drivers side strap mounts as well as the 2 crossmember attachment points on the passengers side. I used a small drill bit for a pilot hole and then a 1/8 in bit. Don't lie directly under them or you will get a bath in rusty water! Check this thread out for what can happen if you don't take care of this asap: http://www.ramforum.com/f41/frame_rotting_out-99925/

View attachment 390526View attachment 390527

Take out as many of the rocker panel plugs as you feel necessary to get the 360* wand inside the rockers to coat them with Fluid Film. There are 2 cavaties inside the rockers. There is an outside cavatiy which you can access from the plugs on the outside bottom of the rocker panels, and the inside cavaty where you will have to remove the tape on the back side of the rockers. Make sure to get the cab corners. A great place to access the cab corners is the plug on the rear door jam for the seat belt bolt.

Plug to access cab corners with the 360* wand

View attachment 390528

I found this set of plugs on Amazon that fits decent in the holes that were taped over on the back side of the rockers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7W7I0C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
If anyone has found something better please let me know.

View attachment 390529

Bottom rocker plugs

View attachment 390530

Then switch wands to the straight spraying wand and coat everything you can except the exhaust system, rubber componants, tires, etc. Definitely hit the inside of the rear bumper and above the rear wheel well where the brace is spot welded to the rear quarter panel. This is where they rot from the inside out. Next move outside to the wheelwell and thoroughly coat the outer wheel well lip with Fluid Film. This will start to rust from all the flying salt water spray from the tire. I find the spray can works best for this. This will most likely need to be reapplied at least once throughout the winter.

Once you've hit the undercarriage, its time to get the door bottoms. There are 2 drain holes on all the doors and the only wand that will fit in those holes is the spray can 360* wand. Again I use the same technique as under the truck, stick the wand as far in the door as it will go and then spray while pulling it out of the drain hole. Make sure to get Fluid Film into the corners of the doors. I would recommend taking the bottom weatherstripping off to make it easier to get the wand into the drain holes.

View attachment 390531

Next go to the tailgate and remove the access panel. Grab the 360* wand and push it down to the bottom of the tailgate and coat the inside. There is a panel about halfway up the the tailgate inside that has several small holes you can get the wand through. You may also want to stick the spray can 360* wand in the drain holes as well.

Last place to go is to the hood. The corners of the hood next to the grill will corrode over time if not treated. There is no place for the moisture to go. Fortunately theres a hole in the underside of the hood right next to this corner to get the spray can 360* wand inside to treat this corner.

View attachment 390532

What will happen to the hood if you don't get something oil based in these corners

View attachment 390533

Congrats, you just helped to protect your truck from the evils of road salt. Once you do this the first time every application after gets easier because there is always some remnants of the previous application. This is essentially what Krown rust protection does and I would love to have it done to my truck every year except the closest Krown dealer is 600 miles away.

Couple things to keep in mind. The 2500 and 3500+ trucks have different frames and suspension components but the procedures I've outlined will work for those trucks as well as many other vehicles. The door bottoms and tailgate bottom will drip for a few days after application. The smell from Fluid Film will go away after a week. Fluid Film continues to creep into the cracks and crevices for weeks after its applied.

If I missed a critical area, please post the area with a pic if possible. Also any other products or ideas for rust prevention I didn't cover please post them!
Just saw this on youtube by the guy named "NICK" who does all kinds of Ram videos. Its called "CRC 6026" He did a vid on it.

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have my 12 on my lift going thru this right now. It has had the driver's side bedside replaced at some point, good there but the pass side "just the lip itself" is a little thin/layering/" waffling" about the very top 2-3" so it might be too late for that.
I have the wheel well liners and taillights out.
I had 2 cans of Eastwood's white "rust encapsulator" on the shelf at home, which I sprayed on any questionable areas plus 2 cans of their chassis black in spray cans with a 2' hose which I mostly blew out into the 2 chambers of the rockers.
I had bought a 5 gallon bucket of NHOU earlier this year for the job.right after I got the truck. No NHOU dealers near me in the Chicago area so I ordered it from them. I got their undercoating gun and when I took it out of the box, put a fitting on, plugged it in to my compressor and IT DON'T WORK! So I made a run to Eastwood for another undercoating gun (an hour each way from here)

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok so I hit reply early.... At least it gave the Eastwood stuff time to completely dry,in the trip up to the Eastwood store and back/// headed home now, to spray away... Truck is still on the lift.
Hope this gun works well for $83. The guy at Eastwood tried to get me to buy the "professional model" at $300. This is the 1st truck I'm doing this to (have used the rubberized stuff on past vehicles) it isn't like I do this for everyone (yet anyway) so I didn't feel like I had to get the $300 one. I may later on.

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
Wool wax gun works for me. No need for a high dollar outfit. Kellsport products was my go to supplier.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Always had a good experience with Kellsports. I'm still using the older gun they sold years ago and it works great. They have a newer one now with an angled fogging wand. Really thinking about getting one...

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
never heard of Kellsports.
Well break time. I have a day and 1/2 in this project. Between pulling splash shields, tail lights, blowing built up leaves out of places I would not have thought to look for their buildup (especially doglegs of front fenders, no wonder I see so many rotted out there) a run to town to our only paint and body supply place for a couple of gun cups (cuz somehow the one that came with mine went missing) come back and that new gun won't draw product or pass air thru trigger no matter what I try) so 2-1/2 hours wasted to go up to the Eastwood store and back, p/u wife from work, stop and eat, and finally get to spraying about 8:30 last night.... sprayed for about 2 hours and didnt even finish the spraying the nooks and crannies of the bed (reg cab/8' bed) I went thru as much to that point as NHOU videos suggested for teh whole truck that had never been treated to that point.... about 6 qts.
Hit it again this morning for ~an hour before taking wife to work, and about 2 to 2-1/2 hours upon getting back.... including time spent again trying EVERYTHING I can think of trying to get the gun I got from NHOU to do "something" thinking it may go a bit faster than Eastwood's gun..... still no luck. It came with a different hose and a straight nozzle that Eastwood's didn't... and the thread are different between guns (go figure) When I went to local paint store I went in thinking Id have to buy "their" gun thinking their cups wouldn't screw on the one from NHOU. They do so OK there. But Id have been time ahead buying another gun there anyway// I'd have been to this point last nite. Finally don spraying, Im up to either 9 or 10 cupfuls (quarts I think) sprayed and still have to do the inside of the tailgate.. In the house for a breather, forgot how much those Tyvek jumpsuits make me sweat.... especially with the unusual 80* day in late Oct an hour south of Chicago.....
That NHOU comes out of the 5 gallon jug alot thicker than I expected it to..... I stuck an air wand in it at one point to "stir it up" thinking something had seperated but no, didnt matter.... and theyre right/ I went HEAVY in some places and not even a drip. The areas sprayed last night though are as slimy and "wet" now, as they were soon after applying.
Time to replace the plastic liners in the wheelwells and put on my new Weathertech mudflaps in place of the factory "spats"...... probably gonna leave the truck sit the rest of today and maybe tomorrow on the lift as Im takin advantage of the weather to ride teh Sportster to work for possibly the last time this year.... 35 miles one way can get pretty chilly among the cornfields before sunup....... so I havent been riding lately. though some of the afternoons for the way home I wish I had the bike instead of the truck.... 45mpg beats 18 anyway you slice it... and I wouldnt take a Toyota or Honda or Kia etc even if for free......

Though this truck is a 12, I have my 1st car payment since I paid off my old Wrangler in '05..... Its gotta last without rotting out AT LEAST til I pay the thing off.... 2nd most I've ever spent on a vehicle in my life to date, after all....... hoping to take it past 300k like we did with my wife's current ride, an 01 Durango with a 360..... so hopefully this NHOU stuff works as advertised.

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
this stuff don't spray out as fast as in the NHOU videos would lead me to have believed, for sure. Have my air regulated down to 65 PSI (I saw a recommendation of ~50 somewhere, but I don't remember where)