How To: Full Mopar Skid Plate Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Haha! Yes that would've been easier... I should've looked under the truck before I bought it and told the wife... "It doesn't have any skid plates, so the only solution is to get a power wagon!"

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
See, now you’re using your noodle!

jjjefferson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2015 Big Horn came with the transfer case + front axle skids installed.

Protection Group
$150
Tow Hooks
Transfer Case Skid Plate
Front Suspension Skid Plate

Reactions: JB1

wobly

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Great writeup!
I have a 2015 Outdoorsman that comes with all the skid plates already installed, for those that were asking.

Tankerpilot01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
My 2015 Big Horn came with the transfer case + front axle skids installed.

Protection Group
$150
Tow Hooks
Transfer Case Skid Plate
Front Suspension Skid Plate

I need to get under my truck...just too cold lately. I made reference about to my build sheet and description above...but mine doesn’t say anything about front suspension skid plate.

I went to a mopar site and looked up parts for my 2018 3500 4wd and it only lists one skid plate....so I wonder if the 3500 can only have the transfer skid plate and the others don’t fit due to difference in the 3500 suspension?

It is also very likely I just wasn’t looking in the correct place....I would just like to add any underbody protection I can...if it’s available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
bryce88

bryce88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Great writeup!
I have a 2015 Outdoorsman that comes with all the skid plates already installed, for those that were asking.
Yeah I'm pretty sure the outdoorsman is the only one that the skid plates come standard unless the protection group is added. At least for 4th gen 1500s

Kukailimoku

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
wow, this write-up could be in a Chiltons or Haynes book!
Thanks!

Steam Hogger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Important information for Ecodiesel owners. Our trucks use a different transfer case skid plate then the OP list. The Eco's do not need the add on cross member. As there is already a extra one to hold the DEF tank.

EcoDiesels owners use skid plate #82210014AC.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
bryce88

bryce88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Important information for Ecodiesel owners. Our trucks use a different transfer case skid plate then the OP list. The Eco's do not need the add on cross member. As there is already a extra one to hold the DEF tank.

EcoDiesels owners use skid plate #82210014AC.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Hey thanks for mentioning this. I'll edit the original post for those in the future that have the Ecodiesel.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I just ordered a set of skid plates for my 2013 sport.

I gotta protect that 44-45 transfer case i just swapped it.

Thanks for the writeup and part numbers.

I could have just bought a new power wagon as was previously suggested, but after checking under the cushions of my couch for loose change, all i could afford was the skid plates.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I crawled under 2013 to check the mounting points.

It doesn't have any of the hex holes for the 4 power steering skidplate rivnuts. It looks like ill have to drill the holes and maybe dremel the hex shapes to install the rivnuts.

Also, the 4 holes near the body mounts, for the crossmember aren't threaded. Ill have to tap them. Everything else seems to match the pics in the writeup.

Anyone done this install in a 2013 yet?

OP
OP
bryce88

bryce88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I crawled under 2013 to check the mounting points.

It doesn't have any of the hex holes for the 4 power steering skidplate rivnuts. It looks like ill have to drill the holes and maybe dremel the hex shapes to install the rivnuts.

Also, the 4 holes near the body mounts, for the crossmember aren't threaded. Ill have to tap them. Everything else seems to match the pics in the writeup.

Anyone done this install in a 2013 yet?
So if you don't have the hex holes, I'd drill holes and use standard round M8 rivnuts. And the other holes aren't threaded, the screws are self tapping, you just torque them down and they cut their own threads.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
So if you don't have the hex holes, I'd drill holes and use standard round M8 rivnuts. And the other holes aren't threaded, the screws are self tapping, you just torque them down and they cut their own threads.

Ok, thanks for the advice. Thatll make it much easier.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I got the skidplates installed.

Everything was super easy except the power steering skidplate. My 2013 didnt have the hex holes for rivnuts, so i had to drill and install aftermarket rivnuts.

The aftermarket rivnuts didnt want to rivet in with enough strength, and kept rotating when i tried to torque the screws to 13 ft lbs. I ended up spot welding around the outside of the rivnuts to prevent them from rotating.

It worked! Its all done!

The underside of my truck is muddy as hell from some off-road driving a few days sgo.

So much for the extra 5$ i paid at the car wash for the "underbody wash".

20190305-130100.jpg

OP
OP
bryce88

bryce88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I got the skidplates installed.

Everything was super easy except the power steering skidplate. My 2013 didnt have the hex holes for rivnuts, so i had to drill and install aftermarket rivnuts.

The aftermarket rivnuts didnt want to rivet in with enough strength, and kept rotating when i tried to torque the screws to 13 ft lbs. I ended up spot welding around the outside of the rivnuts to prevent them from rotating.

It worked! Its all done!

The underside of my truck is muddy as hell from some off-road driving a few days sgo.

So much for the extra 5$ i paid at the car wash for the "underbody wash".

20190305-130100.jpg
Nice! Yeah rivnuts can be a little finicky. Glad you got it all worked out though!

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Always wondered why the two front plates don't extend the same distance forward past the cross-member.

OP
OP
bryce88

bryce88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Always wondered why the two front plates don't extend the same distance forward past the cross-member.
I think it's because they use the same plate on a lot of different vehicles. It's not really designed for just our trucks, that's why there are multiple holes etc.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I think it's because they use the same plate on a lot of different vehicles. It's not really designed for just our trucks, that's why there are multiple holes etc.

Yea, its silly

Even more silly, using 2 plates when 1 could have been made to cover both spots.

Im sure it was done for manufacturing economics. The front diff plate is the same part as the transfer case plate.

The steering plate is probably the same part# as the main skidplate on a Fiat 500 or the hood on one of Guidos other car models.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is there any issues with changing the oil, or getting access to the already difficult to reach filter with the "front axle" skid plate installed ? I have installed the transfer case skid plate, and that was very easy.

Thanks

OP
OP
bryce88

bryce88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Is there any issues with changing the oil, or getting access to the already difficult to reach filter with the "front axle" skid plate installed ? I have installed the transfer case skid plate, and that was very easy.

Thanks
No, it doesn't impede access at all, the skid plates stop short of being in the way whether you access the oil filter from the front or from the back.

Last edited: