How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kellgp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
An informed buyer could reason with them.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
I think I'll pass on sharing any more info. I was very fortunate to get my money back and don't really want to be tied to the radio anymore. Hopefully anybody who comes across it will do their homework (ask questions/get pics) before buying.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I think I'll pass on sharing any more info. I was very fortunate to get my money back and don't really want to be tied to the radio anymore. Hopefully anybody who comes across it will do their homework (ask questions/get pics) before buying.
As you were...

kellgp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You're way ahead of the game if you bought it for $380. A new screen will run you $100 to $170 dollars ordered from China. Probably easy to sell the screen too if it doesn't work. You'll want to do it soon if you are still in the return window.

I just landed a UAS for $400 from an 18 with <7000miles, so needless to say the screen is in much better shape than the one I had a couple weeks ago.
As has been discussed in this thread before these Panasonic screens wear very quickly and don't hold up as well as the older Harmon units.

18harvest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep.who can almost count on a used ua radio to have screen issues.the outer coating will like scrub off if you rub the screen to hard.however even though they can look like crap it doesn't show that bad with the radio on.

JustAnotherRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The place had it posted back for sale for more than what I paid for it immediately without any mention of it being inoperable. I highly doubt it magically fixed itself in transit back.

I ended up getting the receiver from a junk yard for $100 and the screen for $170 from Ebay it took 5 minutes to replace.

JustAnotherRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you have the media hub and conversion harness?

I have the hub and deereguy's adapter, I'm waiting on Mpgrimm to make me the conversion harness, I have all of the sensors also, there's a waiting list for the harness. I was going to make it myself but, I don't really care to and plus it's nice to contribute to these guys a little bit for their hard work and sacrifice.

Frischky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since most trails from Google on UAS/UAQ radios end on this thread or site, I thought I would pose this query to the gurus... non-RAM question, but I am a RAM owner in full disclosure.

I have a 2017 UAQ (UCONNECT_VP4R_NAV_CR16.11_LALDLX_MY17 firmware) in my Charger and a friend has a 2019 UAQ in his Charger which has 18.33 I believe on it. Needless to say it has a better look, nicer performance pages, etc and is less buggy than mine.

DealerConnect says that the 16.11 is the latest firmware for the 2017 radio.

Is it possible to install the latest firmware (22.5 for 2018+ Chargers) on the 2017 radio (which I have a copy of)?

Just don't want to brick the radio!

Last edited:

Frischky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since most trails from Google on UAS/UAQ radios end on this thread or site, I thought I would pose this query to the gurus... non-RAM question, but I am a RAM owner in full disclosure.

I have a 2017 UAQ (UCONNECT_VP4R_NAV_CR16.11_LALDLX_MY17 firmware) in my Charger and a friend has a 2019 UAQ in his Charger which has 18.33 I believe on it. Needless to say it has a better look, nicer performance pages, etc and is less buggy than mine.

Is it possible to install the latest firmware (22.5 for 2018+ Chargers) on the 2017 radio (which I have a copy of)?

"Software not compatible with vehicle" - UCONNECT_8.4_UAQ_IR22.5_LA-LD-LX_2018

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

If you have a factory installed 8.4 go with whatever the uConnect site says is the latest firmware that's compatible with your vehicle. If it says you're up to date but doesn't give you a firmware version you can call them to find out.

Frischky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have a factory installed 8.4 go with whatever the uConnect site says is the latest firmware that's compatible with your vehicle. If it says you're up to date but doesn't give you a firmware version you can call them to find out.

Well, it's definitely not factory installed.. I have retrofitted it into a 2011 Charger. For some reason the 2017 Charger UAQ on 16.11 is actually less compatible/buggy with my car than my friend's 2019 UAS running 18.33 (ie. Auto ATC works on 18.33).

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Well, it's definitely not factory installed.. I have retrofitted it into a 2011 Charger. For some reason the 2017 Charger UAQ on 16.11 is actually less compatible/buggy with my car than my friend's 2019 UAS running 18.33 (ie. Auto ATC works on 18.33).
Do you have the VIN of the source vehicle for your radio?

Frischky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you have the VIN of the source vehicle for your radio?

Yes I do, UConnect site reports no updates... had a tech friend download the only applicable update 16.11 to the original VIN (was at 16.8) from DealerConnect.

I don't believe these radios have materially changed between 2017 and 2018 as there is only one FCC filing for the radio (UAQ/UAS are the same hardware, NAV is determined probably by the bootloader).

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yes I do, UConnect site reports no updates... had a tech friend download the only applicable update 16.11 to the original VIN (was at 16.8) from DealerConnect.

I don't believe these radios have materially changed between 2017 and 2018 as there is only one FCC filing for the radio (UAQ/UAS are the same hardware, NAV is determined probably by the bootloader).
If it says it's the only applicable update that's the end of the line for your radio. They may look similar but these radios went through a major hardware refresh over the years switching manufacturers as well.

Frischky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it says it's the only applicable update that's the end of the line for your radio. They may look similar but these radios went through a major hardware refresh over the years switching manufacturers as well.

Yeah, it very well might be... the screen is delaminating on this one, so it may become the subject of both firmware and physical inquiry (as in your screen separation process). One of the other regulars in the thread (forgot the username) had an 17 300 UAQ was able to flash it up to current FW (albeit losing NAV I believe).

It would be interesting to extract the private decryption key in these radios to see what really is in the updates. I am sure anybody with experience in NAND flash recovery would make a breeze of it.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yeah, it very well might be... the screen is delaminating on this one, so it may become the subject of both firmware and physical inquiry (as in your screen separation process). One of the other regulars in the thread (forgot the username) had an 17 300 UAQ was able to flash it up to current FW (albeit losing NAV I believe).

It would be interesting to extract the private decryption key in these radios to see what really is in the updates. I am sure anybody with experience in NAND flash recovery would make a breeze of it.
To be honest, I don't know specifically about the other variants of these radios. More may be possible with other brand versions and changes may have occurred at different times.

If you're not opposed to experimenting you could always try it yourself if others describe success in your situation. These radios do inspect the files before flashing and will often tell you if something is incompatible before it gets to update.

Frischky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you're not opposed to experimenting you could always try it yourself if others describe success in your situation. These radios do inspect the files before flashing and will often tell you if something is incompatible before it gets to update.

For anyone who is interested, they can read up on the FCC testing and internals here: https://fccid.io/ACJ-VP4RA and here: https://fccid.io/ACJ-VP4RAC

I am going to experiment more... my USB stick that I used to go from 16.8 to 16.11 is the one giving me the error about being incompatible, which according to the TSBs mean it's not liking the USB stick... I should be getting a cannot upgrade to same version error. Funny that it worked initially... then again I am using a standard USB hub at the moment.