How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome! thank you for the explanation. I do have the ATC in mine so this should be pretty straight forward.....the USB hub that he is sending me has 1 usb slot with the aux under it....its square in shape....I currently have the hub with the USB, SD card, and AUX
I don't know why Infotainment tells people that. The radio will automatically pick up your Vin# plus whatever options your truck has. It will take it several key cycles and sometimes have to sit for several hours to read everything off of your BCM so dont let it alarm you. You will need the unlock code for the radio and that's it. One thing to note is the SD slot was discontinued in 2017 for some reason. Since your truck is a 2015 the radio will pick up that option in your BCM and it will still appear in your media soft keys but obviously won't work because there is no slot for it in the new hub. I actually found a new style hub with the SD slot and still couldn't get it to work in my 14.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

kellgp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently acquired a UAQ from a salvage yard. Unit arrived with a screen that looked terrible like the one in post #1727 of this thread. I took the radio apart to get the original screen protector off as described in post #1726 (page 173). That process took forever, but I got the old protector off. Plug the unit back in and it functions/looks great. Fire up the radio again a couple hours later and I now have lines in my screen. Am I screwed?

d1667e35-0e7a-4ff0-be7f-67bf33645b51.jpg

Hawk11nw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If it was a PC I’d say you’re video card is fried. Tried removing power for a bit then trying again? Sorry I can’t help you more as I’m not familiar with the inner workings of the radios. I’ve seen people get replacement screens however so you might get lucky and just need one of those maybe. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kellgp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tore the radio apart again this morning to check all my ribbon connections. Fired her up and after about 1 minute of lines on the screen it suddenly pulled out of it and everything appears to be good now.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I recently acquired a UAQ from a salvage yard. Unit arrived with a screen that looked terrible like the one in post #1727 of this thread. I took the radio apart to get the original screen protector off as described in post #1726 (page 173). That process took forever, but I got the old protector off. Plug the unit back in and it functions/looks great. Fire up the radio again a couple hours later and I now have lines in my screen. Am I screwed?

View attachment 204487
Tore the radio apart again this morning to check all my ribbon connections. Fired her up and after about 1 minute of lines on the screen it suddenly pulled out of it and everything appears to be good now.
The ribbon cables have little "keys" on them that slot into place before locking. If the cable isn't seated properly this can happen. Check both ends (except for the one integrated into the radio) to make sure it's seated properly.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

kellgp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I spoke too soon. The screen is back to vertical lines again. Looking at one of the ribbon cables I think it got bent too far and has a crease in it. Would that cause my problem? It's just weird to me that it was fine for a few minutes and now back to this again.

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I spoke too soon. The screen is back to vertical lines again. Looking at one of the ribbon cables I think it got bent too far and has a crease in it. Would that cause my problem? It's just weird to me that it was fine for a few minutes and now back to this again.
Yes it would cause that problem. Is it the one built into the screen or the one that can be removed?

akordboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know it's common to replace the HVAC module with a 2018 one. Where is the HVAC module located?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'm not really seeing any damage. Do you have a different angle?

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Circled area is what I suspected.View attachment 204834
Ok, that doesn't look too bad really. You can try taping it so it doesn't move so much. If I'm not mistaken though, it's the other separate cable that is labeled "display". That controls video and that is the one I would inspect for damage. Also check the ribbon connectors to see if any pins are bent and close to touching.

You'll notice the display cable has little "ears" on the ends that lock in with proper placement in the ribbon connectors.

kellgp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for your help. I tore it apart again and thoroughly checked everything over and still get either a blank screen or vertical lines.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks for your help. I tore it apart again and thoroughly checked everything over and still get either a blank screen or vertical lines.
You may want to try a new screen then. Did you use anything in particular to clean it that may have gotten in the internals?

kellgp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You may want to try a new screen then. Did you use anything in particular to clean it that may have gotten in the internals?

I used the stuff in the pic, a razor blade, and a heat gun on 500*F. I got the radio for $380, so I am a little hesitant to drop a couple hundred on a screen. Another guy back in this thread used the same stuff and apparently had no issues. I guess I wonder if it could be something more internal and not the screen/and or connections?
8319a434-30ad-49e8-b619-3775a4312ba1.jpg

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi does anybody know how to fix this issue after upgrading from ra4 to 4c radio head?

I had the same issue though I created it on my own accidentally. I was trying to get the custom measurement screen and instead ended up with the HVAC acting weird.

Go through AlfaOBD in the "Customer Settings Menu" sections and turn off everything that is "Units" related (i.e. Speed Unit, Torque Unit, etc). After that, only set US/Metric CSM.