How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Wouldn't help those like me that get the message with no phones connected.

Earl
Is it connecting to Bluetooth when this happens or no connection at all?

Did you already try holding down the "Uconnect" and "hang up" buttons simultaneously for 30 seconds?

UnkoBro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That appears to be a 2019/2020 ram classic Canadian UCS non-nav radio based on several sites I've found.

2019/2020 RAM classic Canadian 8.4 UCS non-nav
68340153ak.

M² Mods.
Mike-
Question about my 7" EVIC that may help others, too:
My vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Upgraded to the 7" EVIC (from 2016 Ram, but made in 2015).
Upgraded to the 8.4 UAS (2018 NAV/AA/CarPlay)
My 8.4 UAS has the "Navigation Turn-By-Turn Display on EVIC" option, with the box checked. My EVIC only shows the TEXT, but not the graphics for turn-by-turn. I used AlfaOBD to turn it ON, but no graphics...then turned it OFF to check if it worked, but no graphics. And now, I turned it back ON but still no graphics...just the text. Any insight would be greatly appreciated...Thanks in advance!

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
My 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.0 to 8.4 NAV/CarPlay upgrade was a huge success...thanks to MP Grimm2! Got my bezel, harnesses, sensors, modules, Media Hub, etc. through him...a lot of instructions as well. The Chrysler 200 Media Hub worked perfectly in my jumpseat console to run Android Auto and CarPlay Just wanted to shout-out my gratitude to the hard-working folks on RamForum like MP Grimm2!

Mike-
Question about my 7" EVIC that may help others, too:
My vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Upgraded to the 7" EVIC (from 2016 Ram, but made in 2015).
Upgraded to the 8.4 UAS (2018 NAV/AA/CarPlay)
My 8.4 UAS has the "Navigation Turn-By-Turn Display on EVIC" option, with the box checked. My EVIC only shows the TEXT, but not the graphics for turn-by-turn. I used AlfaOBD to turn it ON, but no graphics...then turned it OFF to check if it worked, but no graphics. And now, I turned it back ON but still no graphics...just the text. Any insight would be greatly appreciated...Thanks in advance,

This is a known issue with earlier year evics used with 2018+ radios. They just don't have the info programmed into them to know how to interpret all the messages from the newer radios ... Noticed the same thing when I still had my 2013 Ram 1500.
I'm not sure if a later year EVIC would do better or have other issues in your 2014 1500.
@ricksram , @STecoD , @Roman217 , @Jimmy07 , may have more insight.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
This is a known issue with earlier year evics used with 2018+ radios. They just don't have the info programmed into them to know how to interpret all the messages from the newer radios ... Noticed the same thing when I still had my 2013 Ram 1500.
I'm not sure if a later year EVIC would do better or have other issues in your 2014 1500.
@ricksram , @STecoD , @Roman217 , @Jimmy07 , may have more insight.
To pile on, I noticed this originally with my 2014 Ram with a 2013 EVIC and a 2018 UAQ initially, but it seems to have started displaying correctly over time (or it's possible I'm just not noticing it when blank).

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One of these days I want to figure out why the cluster isn't displaying the information correctly. I had the same issue with the UAQ and the issue persists with the UAX (12" in 5th gen). I have a 2020 classic cluster that displays the radio information correctly but can't get the mileage correction to work on it so I haven't installed it yet.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
One of these days I want to figure out why the cluster isn't displaying the information correctly. I had the same issue with the UAQ and the issue persists with the UAX (12" in 5th gen). I have a 2020 classic cluster that displays the radio information correctly but can't get the mileage correction to work on it so I haven't installed it yet.
Turn by Turn nav pop ups were correct on the 2020 Cluster? (I imagine a 2018 cluster would be similar).

Earl Zeis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Is it connecting to Bluetooth when this happens or no connection at all?

Did you already try holding down the "Uconnect" and "hang up" buttons simultaneously for 30 seconds?

It's the software version. Waiting for an update. Does it everytime the radio powers up. Phone connected to usb hub or not. Phone Bluetooth connected or not. There are posts on here of the issue. Several of us have this issue.

Thanks,
Earl

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Turn by Turn nav pop ups were correct on the 2020 Cluster? (I imagine a 2018 cluster would be similar).
It's a 2020 classic cluster, so the turn by turn all worked just fine. It was the mileage correction that was stopping me from swapping it permanently. Hours correction worked without issue.

I will have to try the mileage again at some point.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It's the software version. Waiting for an update. Does it everytime the radio powers up. Phone connected to usb hub or not. Phone Bluetooth connected or not. There are posts on here of the issue. Several of us have this issue.

Thanks,
Earl
I understand that. I too had this problem and was able to fix it in two different ways. I saw the issue persist across four different firmwares and now believe it is not a radio side firmware problem...

Earl Zeis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I understand that. I too had this problem and was able to fix it in two different ways. I saw the issue persist across four different firmwares and now believe it is not a radio side firmware problem...
What are the two fixes? I spent many hours trying to solve it. My radio came with software version 34.2. No updates available yet. My radio manufacturer date is March 2021. As soon as I unplug the USB hub at the hub or radio it stops. So it's either a software issue or hub compatibility issue. But there is no other hub to change to. It did it on the original hub as well as the carplay compatible hub.

Earl

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
What are the two fixes? I spent many hours trying to solve it. My radio came with software version 34.2. No updates available yet. My radio manufacturer date is March 2021. As soon as I unplug the USB hub at the hub or radio it stops. So it's either a software issue or hub compatibility issue. But there is no other hub to change to. It did it on the original hub as well as the carplay compatible hub.

Earl

The other is turning off USB debugging in Android Developer options. Firmware 39.5 is now out too. Is tour radio original to your truck or an upgrade?

Earl Zeis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L

The other is turning off USB debugging in Android Developer options. Firmware 39.5 is now out too. Is tour radio original to your truck or an upgrade?
How would turning off android usb debug help when it's doing it with no phone attached to the USB port nor Bluetooth??

I tried the holding down buttons thing several times. No change.

The radio is an upgrade, Ram version bought new from Ram.

Just ran the radio's Vin and a donor vin not showing any software updates. How are you getting later than 34.2? The later ones Ram compatible? Radio was built on march of 2021 with 34.2.

Earl

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
How would turning off android usb debug help when it's doing it with no phone attached to the USB port nor Bluetooth??

I tried the holding down buttons thing several times. No change.

The radio is an upgrade, Ram version bought new from Ram.

Just ran the radio's Vin and a donor vin not showing any software updates. How are you getting later than 34.2? The later ones Ram compatible? Radio was built on march of 2021 with 34.2.

Earl
I don't see how it would help you honestly if there are zero devices plugged in. Firmware is from a thread on this forum but I recommend for a factory installed radio to wait for an OTA or when the uconnect site has it available (but don't hold your breath).

If you want to try 39.5 I can send you a link to a thread with the download if you have a UAQ. Try it at your own risk though...

Earl Zeis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
From what I found 39.5 is Jeep software? That's probably why the Ram version of the radio isn't listing it. Sounds a bit risky.

Earl

reyez390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everyone hope I can get some help for my new radio upgrade I have been able to install a 4c panasonic on my 2014 ram 2500 but there's a issue after install the slider for the temp on my screen won't slide up it will stay on low setting but I'm able to control the temp either using the screen or hard buttons just the slider won't move past low setting and the heated seats are grayed out but that doesn't bother me at all ... the conversion harness was from 4th gen mods ... I'm thinking on installing the air cabin sensor on my module to see if that helps

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Thanks for posting. I actually get a fair amount of private messages about this situation with customers ( @Outback199 this post & others ) that bought from Infotainment, 4 wheel Electronics (4thGenRam Electronics previously) & 4th Gen Mods.

It's disappointing to hear that people are still selling 4c upgrades/harnesses to people that will run into this... It's a known issue for over 3 years now and the reason I got banned from the 4th Gen Ram 2.0 group on Facebook for speaking out about it.

I build Single Zone ATC support into all my 8.4 conversion harnesses for this reason (1500's need additional harness). I do offer a universal add-on harness to fix this oversite with the knock off harnesses, but it would have been cheaper in the long run to get it built in with my conversion harness.

For your situation you will need to add the extra sensor and programming changes to the BCM with AlfaOBD.
-------------

I'm reply back with details via message.

Last edited:

Kcwillien

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New here. I found this thread and I am upgrading my 2016 Ram to one that has CarPlay. I have the head unit and the 2018 media hub. I need a conversion harness for this media hub does anyone know where I can buy one?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
New here. I found this thread and I am upgrading my 2016 Ram to one that has CarPlay. I have the head unit and the 2018 media hub. I need a conversion harness for this media hub does anyone know where I can buy one?
I'll send you a message for details

sirdumpsalot

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Just finished upgrading my 2017 Ram 1500 from an RA4 to a 2018 UAQ following the OP and everything works flawlessly. Mpgrimm2's harness is perfect and the install was easy. I removed the factory screen protector using heat and isopropyl alcohol that SitKneelBend describes in this thread and put a screen protector from Amazon and it's never looked better. I spent awhile searching car-part before finding a radio that wasn't absurdly priced.

@Mpgrimm2 In the process of searching I ended up buying two radios, the first being the standard part # from the OP (68331631AD from a 2018), the second being a new one that I don't think I've seen mentioned yet (68461704AC from a 2021 ram classic). It lists as a UAQ (US Non-Nav) when you search for it on carstereocode.com for the unlock code, but it was definitely installed in a Canadian truck (from the build sheet) and the software shows it's a Canadian version (34.2?). Everything appeared to be fully functional as well, the only thing in question that I couldn't test is the cell connectivity, didn't think to check Uconnect.

Anyways, thanks to everyone in this forum who helped out and contributed to this thread, android auto is amazing. For those curious I'll be selling the 2021 UAQ/UCS and my 2017 RA4 in the for sale section.