How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buck1127

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hi all I have a UAQ in my 13 Ram. For car play I have to use the retrofit usb plug in the center console. Is there a way to put the where the 115v plug is in that dash and move the 115v instide the center console basically swapping locations ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Nobser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi Guys!

I'm following this thread since weeks now, really great pool of information. I did a retrofit here in Germany with a 2013 RAM 1500 Laramie and an EU-unit, because of DAB, the European Version of digital HD radio...

I'm also using the infotainment harness for the heated/vented seat issue and it works fine.

BUT.. I still have some issues I would like to post here. If there already is a solution somewhere in the 585 messages here, I'm sorry. I really tried to read as much as possible to find a way to solve the issues... OK, here we go:

Most issues are in the settings menu, because lot of stuff is missing or empty ("empty" means: item is there, but when clicking on it, there are no options to set in the screen following):

- Settings / Mirrors & Wipers is empty
- Settings / Lights is empty
- Settings / Doors & locks is empty

- Settings / Auto-On-comfort is missing
- Settings / Safety & Driving Assistance is missing
- Settings / Suspension is missing (which really sucks)

I also cannot switch between metric and US units. In the old Harman unit it was under "display", in the Panasonic unit there is a separate setting called "units". But whatever I select (UK/US, metric or custom) it jumps back within a second or two...

Doors & Locks old

IMG_2669.jpg

Doors & Locks new:

IMG_2661.jpg

Suspension Menu in old unit

IMG_2680.jpg

New menu (part of it, on second page also no suspension)
IMG_2656.jpg

Does anybody have the same / similar problems? Or even better: a solution? ;-)

Regards,
Norbert

Last edited:

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm really starting to regret doing this conversion. Now I'm having HVAC problems now . My stock set up was 7 speed single zone .

Now with my new radio I have full heat on the cool setting. When the slider is set all the way to the bottom (cool) my hardware button will not work when I try to bring the temp back up. I have to use the screen or power off the HVAC and turn it back on to work .

Now that I'm having problems I meant to ask if it's normal for the temp slider to slide up and down in increments (from the middle if i go up or down seems there is 3 positions on each end of the slider) instead of just barely nudging up and down like when my VP4 was in there. I thought it was just the way the new software is but I just watched a youtube video and the guys slider matched what I used to have (small nudges) rather than almost 1/4 increments. (He did have dual zone in the video though)
@Mpgrimm2 any suggestions?

Last edited:

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi Guys!

I'm following this thread since weeks now, really great pool of information. I did a retrofit here in Germany with a 2013 RAM 1500 Laramie and an EU-unit, because of DAB, the European Version of digital HD radio...

I'm also using the infotainment harness for the heated/vented seat issue and it works fine.

BUT.. I still have some issues I would like to post here. If there already is a solution somewhere in the 585 messages here, I'm sorry. I really tried to read as much as possible to find a way to solve the issues... OK, here we go:

Most issue are in the settings menu, because lot of stuff is missing or empty ("empty" means: item is there, but when clickin on it, there are no options to set in the screen following):

- Settings / Mirrors & Wipers is empty
- Settings / Lights is empty
- Settings / Doors & locks is empty

- Settings / Auto-On-comfort is missing
- Settings / Safety & Driving Assistance is missing
- Settings / Suspension is missing (which really sucks)

I also cannot switch between metric and US units. In the old Harman unit it way under "display", in the Panasonic unit there is a separate setting called "units". But whatever I select (UK/US, metric or custom) it jumps back within a second or two...

Doors & Locks old

View attachment 148020

Doors & Locks new:

View attachment 148021

Suspension Menu in old unit

View attachment 148019

New menu (part of it, on second page also no suspension)
View attachment 148022

Does anybody have the same / similar problems? Or even better: a solution? ;-)

Regards,
Norbert

View attachment 148023

How long since you installed it? I'm pretty familiar with this entire thread and this is the first I'm seeing this.

Has it been under 24 hours since the install? If so the truck probably needs to sleep some more.
Otherwise I'm stumped.

The only thing similar that I (and others too) have a problem with is that auto on comfort menu check box won't stay. It's present but when you check the box it unchecks itself.

et todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Did you use the 2018 hvac module?the slider should go smoothly no hitches or detent feeling.some have had problems using a used 18 module.if you used a new 18 module I would unhook the battery rub the cables together and wait 15 min to reset the bcm and radio other than that I don'the know.

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you use the 2018 hvac module?the slider should go smoothly no hitches or detent feeling.some have had problems using a used 18 module.if you used a new 18 module I would unhook the battery rub the cables together and wait 15 min to reset the bcm and radio other than that I don'the know.
I have my original 14 HVAC module, I did not upgrade to an 18 module. I did see the info in earlier posts regarding the few having an HVAC module problem but my year wasn't listed. I'll be checking connections and stuff tomorrow and report back, but does this sound like an HVAC module issue for me as well?

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I looked closer at my blend slider on the HVAC screen (I have mostly been controlling it from other menus and the pop up slider that comes up isn't as detailed or icon as large as the one on the HVAC menu)
I noticed that the for the last two clicks of the hardware button on both hot and cool the arrow will "nudge" in a small increment like it used to on my VP4. However after 3 clicks at the farthest end of either hot or cold all the remainder of the button presses move the arrow/slider in 1/4 increments. I have tried to use the screen and sometimes I'll move the slider and it will snap back to the closest 1/4 increment amd sometimes it will stay exactly where I put it .

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
@jdip
See post 5

@Nobser
Are you using a known 2018 EU Ram UAx Radio (vs another fca brand?

Is it on "Application version" 18.x or newer? (Go into dealer mode to check... hot + cold+ front defrost for 6-10 secs)

M² Mods.

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I found the thread in the interior section regarding the HVAC issues. I posted over there to confirm.
Mike you think I should just go ahead and order a new 18 module?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I found the thread in the interior section regarding the HVAC issues. I posted over there to confirm.
Mike you think I should just go ahead and order a new 18 module?
Yes. Not sure if you have a 1500 or 2500/3500 but here's the 2 options for 2018 UAx Radios ...

- 68366552AA = 1500 trucks w/8.4 radios (MTC & ATC)
ie factory 7 speed fan (w/Variable Displacement A/C Compressor)

- 68366553AA = 2500/3500 trucks w/8.4 radios (ATC)
ie factory 4 speed fan (w/Sgl speed A/C Compressor)

M² Mods.

Nobser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How long since you installed it? I'm pretty familiar with this entire thread and this is the first I'm seeing this.

Has it been under 24 hours since the install? If so the truck probably needs to sleep some more.
Otherwise I'm stumped.

The only thing similar that I (and others too) have a problem with is that auto on comfort menu check box won't stay. It's present but when you check the box it unchecks itself.

I'll try to do so. You can speed up the progress a little by sending a reset command to the radio via CAN. Due to the fact that the Panasonic has no Factory Reset, it makes the retrofitting a little bit more difficult. The first time I connected it to my car it did not get ANY setting from the BCM. And every time you disconnect it from power it forgets "something", but not all. Really strange thing.

The check box issue is there for several settings, too, like the switch between km/h and mph. It behaves the same way as you say: it unchecks itself after a second or so...

I'll give it some days in the car an will report again...

Nobser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@jdip
See post 5

@Nobser
Are you using a known 2018 EU Ram UAx Radio (vs another fca brand?

Is it on "Application version" 18.x or newer? (Go into dealer mode to check... hot + cold+ front defrost for 6-10 secs)

M² Mods.

As far as I know there are no EU RAM Radios, yet. In contrast to the prior model years, the 2018 "Export Vehicle" RAMs are not equipped with an EU unit any more. Till 2017 all "Export Vehicle" RAMs had ROW-Radios. They had been identical to the units in the Jeeps... It is an EU Jeep GC Radio. Is there an official part number for a RAM unit? Mine is 68306659ZP.

Yes, it is on 19.10. Which is not the most recent version, I know, but Uconnect Live is not working due to the VIN, so I have no chance to do any update yet.

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes. Not sure if you have a 1500 or 2500/3500 but here's the 2 options for 2018 UAx Radios ...

- 68366552AA = 1500 trucks w/8.4 radios (MTC & ATC)
ie factory 7 speed fan (w/Variable Displacement A/C Compressor)

- 68366553AA = 2500/3500 trucks w/8.4 radios (ATC)
ie factory 4 speed fan (w/Sgl speed A/C Compressor)

M² Mods.

I have a 2014 1500 with factory 7 speed Single zone

Jkieffer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Took about 10 minutes. 7 of which were answering the girlfriend why I needed the part.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome thanks. A lot to dismantle? I thumbed through the other thread for the 8.4 conversion. The entire glove box needs to come out or it can be squeezed in without taking it out?

Jkieffer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
End panel pops off passenger side dash. Sometime the glove box comes out but either way it is a very quick process. Open glove box, push in top corners and remove the retract cord.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
End panel pops off passenger side dash. Sometime the glove box comes out but either way it is a very quick process. Open glove box, push in top corners and remove the retract cord.

The glove box and end panel are really easy, I like a lot of room and take a trim stick and pop out the air vent in the dash, that's easy too.

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got it! Thanks gents. I think it'll be here end of the week.