How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Eeesh . This thing hopefully will learn everything. It thinks I have a dual zone climate, the settings and themes are all jeep. As some prior posts say it won't let me use my heated seats etc, it also doesn't show my cargo cam or back up camera existing. The xm button is available though so I'm hoping it's not done learning. I'm going to let it sit overnight.
Power cycling should make it go quicker. Turn off truck, remove key, open and close drivers door, wait for all dash lights to turn off, give it an extra ten seconds, and then turn it back on.

Do that three or four times...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unfortunately nothing. I'm just gonna bite my lip and hope she will be fix herself sitting overnight like some have said. As of right now I only have HVAC fan control but no temp change abilities. Speakers in back work but not up front and volume control doesn't work. 1 is the only sound and all the way to 30 is the same as 1 . I do have the infotainment harness installed so after a day or two I'll pull that out of the equation and see what happens assuming I'm still screwed .

et todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If all else fails unhook the battery and rub the negative and positive together let set 15 min and hook back up..

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Phew. Everything looks good and is operating normally. No surprises just as others reportes no auto on comfort (even with the infotainment harness) , some glitches in the dash cluster with sxm channels sticking and navigation turn by turn in the cluster being garbled. These have all been reported in this thread though. Otherwise everything else works and looks great. Andrioid auto is incredible and feel this was well worth the minor glitches above after swapping my original 8.4N

Looks like my radio does have does have the 21.x update though because my audio is a little muddy. Can't seem to find the version info but the sticker in outside said 21. So be it. Manufacturer date says 8/2018 so it's a relatively new radio

@DeereGuy @Mpgrimm2 couldn't have done it without you both and everyone here.

So far looks like no problems or complications being a Canadian spec with no cell antenna. As others reported I did not need the 911 bypass though I purchased it just in case to have on hand if ever needed since I don't have that hardware.

15431541818274379854835049190855.jpg

rango10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So with the Canadian versions not having cellular, how are they updated since OTA is unavailable and the downloads are not offered on Rams website?

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

et todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Jdip,glad things worked out you can press and hold the cool and hot and defrost buttons at the same time to access the head unit info application firmware etc. Rango, someone suggested the new radios I can't describe the details without giving misinformation but in a nutshell kinda work like a cell phone and have a built in whatever that is strong enough that the cell antenna doesn't need connected to update.and there has been a member who had the ant unhooked and recieved the Ota updates anyway.

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anyone remember where they saw the information on changing what kind of inputs are in the media hub/selectable in alfaobd? Was it in that thread or this thread? I wanted to see if I could make my "SD" button on the media menu to go away

Tyler Fegan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Hey all thanks for all the info! It helped me out a ton while ordering everything. I was wondering if anyone has the 19.9 version of the firmware. Thanks in advance!

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Hey all thanks for all the info! It helped me out a ton while ordering everything. I was wondering if anyone has the 19.9 version of the firmware. Thanks in advance!
Not yet. I'm trying to get a copy ( I have 18.14 posted in the 13-18 8.4 nav fw thread)

M² Mods.

sword3274

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
i just got off the phone with them,ugh. I've been going round and round trying to find a UAQ. Infotainment will buy the UAS I have for $300 and sell me the UAQ for $1600 less 10% :jester:. I told them I don't need the media hub, but they won't split it up and sell just the radio alone. Also they sounded disappointed that I also didn't need the $600 bezel kit.

So the bottom line is I found a 68331631AH at LKQ online for a really affordable price and ordered it.

Awesome! I was going to say, be vigilant but if you got a good price, grab it! It took me a few weeks or so, but I was willing to wait for a while. It just so happened that a fellow poster PM’d me and kindly told me of one on Craigslist. It’s sad that some online retailers are trying to make more money on these radios than they sell for from Mopar, just because they’re in demand.

et todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Realistically because of the crap application I don't think demand is all that great.there's several on ebay that have been there for a while and several uas at a good price.I think a member in the for sale section took a ra4 for trade to get rid of his and it had the 19. Application.i honestly think you could move a ra4 faster than a uaq for the same price.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Realistically because of the crap application I don't think demand is all that great.there's several on ebay that have been there for a while and several uas at a good price.I think a member in the for sale section took a ra4 for trade to get rid of his and it had the 19. Application.i honestly think you could move a ra4 faster than a uaq for the same price.

If the UAS on eBay now is the one in St Louis (I saw it was listed again for $399 with a hub), it's the one I sent back to the seller because the VR would not work in my truck.

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey anyone noticed or report that if you turn the audio to mute using the volume button then try and turn the volume up or down instead of hitting the mute button again the volume will adjust on screenscre the radio will stay mutued until you hit the mute button twice (turn mute back on then off using the mute button)

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Does anyone remember where they saw the information on changing what kind of inputs are in the media hub/selectable in alfaobd? Was it in that thread or this thread? I wanted to see if I could make my "SD" button on the media menu to go away

I think that would be this setting:

Code:
ECU Configuration 3:
   External Port Type: AUX + USB

-K

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you sir! What category was that under? Still under BCM?

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you sir! What category was that under? Still under BCM?

Yes under BCM. Car configuration

2018 Black Pearl Ram 1500

LED Tail Lights, Black Quad Halogens with LED conversion, LED Black 3rd Break Light, Blacked Out Emblems, Rims & Grill, 8.4 UAQ conversion!, MTC to ATC Mod, OEM Remote Start

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Copy! Thank you. Just couldnt remember where I tracked that down to. Anyone have creative ideas on the auto on comfort issue? Its chilly here and I miss the feature. Yes android auto is more worth it to me, would just be nice to have that figured out. Wasnt sure if there was anyplace in alpha obd we could look into.
I emailed infotainment regarding the issue to see if they were aware of it, they said no, and to contact support for a replacement, however I dont feel Ill be successful with them since I only purchased the harness adapter and my radio from somewhere else. I will still reach out but I feel that will be a dead end.
The volume thing is just a quirk, I will have to get used to since I always used to mute the radio then just turn up the volume instead of pushing the button again.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Hey anyone noticed or report that if you turn the audio to mute using the volume button then try and turn the volume up or down instead of hitting the mute button again the volume will adjust on screenscre the radio will stay mutued until you hit the mute button twice (turn mute back on then off using the mute button)

Just checked my 18 UAQ radio (fw 19.9) and don't have this issue. Mine immediately un-mutes when adjusting the volume. Fairly certain my UAS w 19.9 did so as well.

M² Mods.

jdip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Damn.....I have 21 software don't know if that's the culprit or not

My heated seats are also flaking out. The hardware buttons will be on and every now and again the heated seat "hi" will pop up on screen then go away as if I just turned it on (though it's been on).
I also had a random crash of the radio the other day a few minutes into the drive . It shut down like I shut off the vehicle (spash screen) stayed off for a minute then came back on like nothing happened.

I'm gonna open up the dash again and double check connections but everything is snapped in good and connectors are locked in. I have to relocate the infotainment black box since it's rattling on bumps and making me psychotic .
@Mpgrimm2 where did you mount yours? The harness takes up a lot of room with the extra connectors and was pretty stiff (giggity) with all the extra RCA connectors so I put the box off to the side near the HVAC vent but I think it's rattling off that. I think I'll have to use that good 3m plastic Velcro we use for the E-ZPass things to mount it.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I have a 2018 ram 1500 Laramie now with factory UAS radio (swapped in a UAQ)

M² Mods.