How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So those that have went from a 5.0 to either the uaq or uas would you recommend it over doing an RA4? I'd prefer android auto so I have Google maps instead of the RA4 nav. But from reading this thread and the older RA4 thread it seems the RA4 is going to have less issues but then again I don't get android auto. So is android auto worth the hassle or go with RA4

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I never had an RA4 so I have nothing to compare my new UAQ to. I really like my new Android radio and find new things that I can do with it everyday. Just being able to say "OK Google" and have it do whatever I need is pretty easy to get used to. I found a lot of my UAQ issues were just a learning curve but with all the wonderful help here on the RAMForum it really wasn't a big deal.
With @Mpgrimm2 and @DeereGuy at M2Mods for the wiring changes I made, a parts list here on this thread and a radio were all I needed.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So those that have went from a 5.0 to either the uaq or uas would you recommend it over doing an RA4? I'd prefer android auto so I have Google maps instead of the RA4 nav. But from reading this thread and the older RA4 thread it seems the RA4 is going to have less issues but then again I don't get android auto. So is android auto worth the hassle or go with RA4
If the map updates we're free I'd say RA4, but they aren't so I'd say UAS all day. Unless of course you find a UAQ at a good price.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Gibbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I didn't care for Android auto to start with, but after I used it a few times I really like it now. I think being able to use Waze was the turning point for me. The fact that my maps are always up to date is really nice, too.

In my previous 2018 Tradesman, I also had issues with 911 errors on an RA4, even with the bypass plug. I didn't want to go thru having to change my rearview mirror, so I went with a UAS radio. I still had to end up changing to a 2018 HVAC module, but it was great after that.

I know some still prefer the RA4, but if you can work through the potential bugs I personally prefer the UAx radios.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Salvage supplier worked well for me for a UAQ, I just made sure to use the M2Mods radio list and download the build sheet using the donor vin prior to purchase. LKQonline, Schram, Car-part, etc.....

@Gibbs just might still have a radio that I'm sure is like new!

Gibbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Salvage supplier worked well for me for a UAQ, I just made sure to use the M2Mods radio list and download the build sheet using the donor vin prior to purchase. LKQonline, Schram, Car-part, etc.....

@Gibbs just might still have a radio that I'm sure is like new!

Yes sir, still have it...In excellent condition. It'll find a home one day.

I will say the built in nav on my RA4 worked really well, but it was already outdated when I got it. I think free map updates should have come standard considering the price of these trucks. But Android Auto made up for that.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like UAS may be the way to go. I'll dig around the thread more to start some planning

loco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Anyone have any issues with the back up camera after install?

I installed my UAQ and after a few key cycles and sitting for a bit everything is working like a top except for the back up camera when I go into reverse.

I was swapping from an RA4 Nav to this in my 2014. I have the Infotainment harness in line to run my heated/cooled seats which is working great. The only thing that isnt working is the camera.

Thoughts?

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

I installed my UAQ and after a few key cycles and sitting for a bit everything is working like a top except for the back up camera when I go into reverse.

I was swapping from an RA4 Nav to this in my 2014. I have the Infotainment harness in line to run my heated/cooled seats which is working great. The only thing that isnt working is the camera.

Thoughts?

Check the pins in the main connector. When I swapped to a VP4 My camera went out and it was a bent pin on the radio.

-K

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

Thoughts?
What the issue? Washed out image in reverse? If so disconnect the battery for a few minutes to force the radio to reset and try again. (This was an issue early on).

Note, the contrast of the camera with a UAQ is different and they still haven't corrected it with a UAQ update so it's as good as the Ra4 camera display

M² Mods.

loco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
What the issue? Washed out image in reverse? If so disconnect the battery for a few minutes to force the radio to reset and try again. (This was an issue early on).

Note, the contrast of the camera with a UAQ is different and they still haven't corrected it with a UAQ update so it's as good as the Ra4 camera display

M² Mods.

Issue is that when I go into reverse I get no camera display. It just stays on whatever screen i am on. My back up sensors activate and the display pops up on the gauge cluster but no indication i am in reverse on the radio.

I'm going to check connections later today after work.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Issue is that when I go into reverse I get no camera display. It just stays on whatever screen i am on. My back up sensors activate and the display pops up on the gauge cluster but no indication i am in reverse on the radio.

I'm going to check connections later today after work.
Temporarily remove/bypass the Infotainment harness and recheck. You loose seat control, but if the camera works then something is wrong with the add-on harness.

M² Mods.

Last edited:

loco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Temporarily remove/bypass the Infotainment harness and recheck. You loose seat control, but if the camera with then something is wrong with the add-on harness.

M² Mods.

Just removed the harness. Radio completely reset and I have to wait for it to recycle again to handshake with the BCM. Damn! No XM, no HVAC controls at least the weather isnt too bad today.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Checked all pins while I was in there this morning and all appeared to be good to go. It was a good idea though!
Once the BCM/radio handshake finished and you have sxm let us know if you get the backup camera back

M² Mods.

loco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Once the BCM/radio handshake finished and you have sxm let us know if you get the backup camera back

M² Mods.

Just hopped in the truck after it sitting all day and still no camera. Worked just fine with the RA4 Nav. It's the OEM camera that was working with the little 5.0 screen before.

Little lost now.

loco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I tossed my RA4 back in to see if it was a wiring issue and the camera works just fine. Just like it should.received_309211276397151.jpeg

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Weird. And if you put the UAx back in now without the add-on seat harness?

M² Mods.

loco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Weird. And if you put the UAx back in now without the add-on seat harness?

M² Mods.

With or without the add on harness I have no camera with the UAQ. Pop the RA4 in and zero issues works as it should.

Any thoughts that this might be related to my truck being a manual?

Here's what I see in reverse. Sonar display, back up lights on but zero camera.20190204_195024.jpg