How to: V6 Efan Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
My TYC fan was delivered yesterday. Will be done before end of weekend...sooner if the weather cooperates!

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, I just did this on my 17 express the other day.

What's involved? The fan only has 2 wires going to it? Does it run slow speed when stopped and go high when it gets hot? Did you swap the tstat out too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robocop_9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What's involved? The fan only has 2 wires going to it? Does it run slow speed when stopped and go high when it gets hot? Did you swap the tstat out too?

I did the TYC fan from Amazon. It will plug right in. Hardest part is removing the old ones. It's not high and low. It's on and off. I did swap the T stat for a 180.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does it stay around the right temp? Do you have a tune?

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some people are saying the TYC has vibrations which seems to be due to the motor so what if you take the TYC motor out and use the stock efan motor in it instead? I am trying to decide if it is worth getting the TYC or the OEM V6 fan.

I am currently just running the stock V8 efan and it's working but is always on and keeps the temp at 190-200 on a 100+ degree day and running on the highway. I am worried to tow without sticking the mechanical fan back on. Will be testing it out soon though.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has there been a way to figure out how to fix this write-up and its images????
If anyone has the original images I can try to rehost through tapatalk maybe?

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Has there been a way to figure out how to fix this write-up and its images????
If anyone has the original images I can try to rehost through tapatalk maybe?

Photobucket...the gift that keeps on giving. A-holes.

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can anyone confirm which plug the 13+ 5.7L has?

From what I have gathered the 09-12 plug is this square one
s-l500.jpg

And the 13+ one might be this oval one
s-l500.jpg

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice. Most of the pics in the thread are missing, I think that's the first I've seen it.

Yamifz1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram 4x4 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ya it's so annoying, photo bucket or what ever program you are using not showing pictures anymore. I know I would love to have seen the full process in pictures but most are no longer available. I have the same issue with most of the pictures I have posted in the past. I have since switched to Imgur and can start to repost pictures.

Disregard, I just went back to the start an see that the pictures are now visible.

Last edited:

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm picking up my OEM E-FAN tonight so stay tuned I'll be making a full YouTube video on how to do this on my 2014. The youtube video won't disappear so we'll finally have a DIY again! :)

teamramrod215

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know that the v6 fan with tuner to control the temp that it kicks on seems to be the top choice for this mod. Is there any way to use the v6 fan (either OEM or aftermarket like TYC, etc) and wire in a separate controller to adjust when it turns on and off? Seems like a potential way to save money for those of us (like me) who do not have a tuner yet. Although...then you do lose some of the convenience of plug and play.

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know that the v6 fan with tuner to control the temp that it kicks on seems to be the top choice for this mod. Is there any way to use the v6 fan (either OEM or aftermarket like TYC, etc) and wire in a separate controller to adjust when it turns on and off? Seems like a potential way to save money for those of us (like me) who do not have a tuner yet. Although...then you do lose some of the convenience of plug and play.

Yes definitely! Even though I have a tuner on the way I may still invest in something like this. The 2013+ only has a ON/OFF fan function and no HI/Lo fan capability.

If I add a unit like this I will be able to tune it to kick in hi/lo and it has a temperature probe that attaches to the rad to determine when to kick the fan on. Here is a 2-speed unit but there are many out there.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/pa...oogle-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-hayden-automotive

Last edited:

teamramrod215

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes definitely! Even though I have a tuner on the way I may still invest in something like this. The 2013+ only has a ON/OFF fan function and no HI/Lo fan capability.

If I add a unit like this I will be able to tune it to kick in hi/lo and it has a temperature probe that attaches to the rad to determine when to kick the fan on. Here is a 2-speed unit but there are many out there.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/pa...oogle-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-hayden-automotive

Do you think you'd be able to wire the controller into the factory efan harness? Or would you basically take the connector off of the fan and truck and just hard wire it directly in?

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you think you'd be able to wire the controller into the factory efan harness? Or would you basically take the connector off of the fan and truck and just hard wire it directly in?

Most of these controllers have a factory input signal that will kick on the fan when the computer sends a signal and whatever temp settings you have on your aftermarket controller are not running the fan.

I would install the controller between the connector and fan motor. This way you do not hack up your factory harness on the truck and only the short 1ft harness on your fan motor while still retaining the factory connectors.