If you live or work on top of a hill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The stone wall is FCA says see your dealer and the dealer says it works as FCA designed
but no one will address the issue and after the general manager of the dealership tried it on his truck
he agreed it is not right but needs the large customer base south of the border to complain as we are
a small part of the pie @RamCares
In second gear screaming at 4700 RPM (Not good for a cold motor) on a warmer day will all of a sudden try
to put you through the windshield when the throttle comes off
If the road is wet snowy or icy you will loose it
I comes down to the programmer does not know because no one will tell them so they can fix
which should be a simple thing IE no gas by driver and over 2500 RPM shut the fuel off easy

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lets practice VCM logs wild one. I'll give you the run down as a 3rd grader.

First cold start this morning, 57F ECT, notice the timer down below in case you didn't know it was there.
about 2.7 sec engine has rpm, note the rpm up top, in case you didn't know it was there. in this case 1630rpm though i don't think you'll have problems reading that, apparently your reading skills are fairly special....
About half way on the left pane, i'm logging Fuel system status, what's the status again? say it with me.... OL - not ready, again i doubt you'll have any issues getting that but you never know
upload_2019-12-10_10-3-26.png

Now, what happens next....
14 sec in the scanning still, OL -not ready, Oh my god ... 1291 rpm idle
upload_2019-12-10_10-9-45.png

And then 15 sec in the scanning, what's our fuel system status,, say it with me CL - Normal, ST's and LT's posting...... 1291 RPM, and what's the ECT again ??? hahahahahahahaha...... 59F. This doesn't change because the truck is 2018. this doesn't change because the OP has an 8 speed and it's stock.
Substract the 2.7 sec maybe a little more since i started the scanner before starting the engine and the clock is close to what ? 10 sec, opppssss.
upload_2019-12-10_10-14-35.png

If you would take the time to observe you could achieve a very basic level of understanding. If you don't take the time to listen, Tuning is not for you....
What was it again Wild one???, the leanness, the richness, the pulsing, the TB moving because the OL moving pulsing the TB blade and the dude is 67yo and i'm assuming yada yada yada yada, becasue the 160T gives an error to a stock 8 speed trans bla bla bla bla, because unless your coolant is at 160f you're still in OL bla bla bla bla bla...

Now you have an idea of engine rpm, TP% and you can take a look at what the trans tables call for tp% i bet that TP goes down once you reach min idle. We'll have to look at his TP% going down hill along with trans temp, coolant temp, spark, etc etc to know what the truck is doing and ideally come up with a strategy approach to fix it via tuning assuming we can control what it's causing the issue. it's not going to get fixed by FCA because the OP raises his hand and tell them hey look at me, my truck is running wildly down the hill in 2nd cold, but 3rd gear can control it hot. lol but is it really an issue ? or more of a "desire", two complete different things.... FCA won't fix either one unless there was something mechanically wrong with the vehicle and it was still under warranty.

Last edited:

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Forget about all the tech talk... yes, it might matter to some degree, but the fact is you just will have to use the brakes sometimes. No matter what you think about your gears, it's called gravity my friend and some of our trucks are pretty heavy.

I live in the heart of Colorado mountain country, and have driven mountain roads my whole life, but a lot where I live now.

You will always have to find that happy medium and you will have to use brakes. It's absolutely crazy to think you will barely use them. I drive the 2005 manual transmission Ram 2500 with a G56, and I can put it in 3rd or 4th, depending on how steep it is, and do not have to brake much. I have a Cabover Camper on my truck, and can drive Monarch Pass on Hwy 50 between Gunnison and Salida keeping the braking to a minimum, but I have to brake for crying out load. (For non-locals that's a route over a 11,300 foot pass starting at 7000' on either side.)

However, on the right downhill grade in 5th, and especially in 6th, I will brake a lot more, and I expect that.

Towing Monarch is where we separate the men from the whiners.

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
Would be curious as to what grade he is coming down. I'm old as well and use my gears "a lot". Live in CO even. Have the 3.21 gears and am impressed with the engine braking with the high gear ratio. That said, like me, if the hill is less than a mile from the house and with the engine not warmed, it is very possible it isn't in closed loop and if his thermostat is not working properly as well, could see him having difficulties. Have never had it pull down past 3rd on over 10% grades and am very pleased. Use cruise and that will hold me with in 2 mph on most any hill in CO. As good as my former 2014 with the 6 speed and the 4.56 gears.

OP
OP
B

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As posted it is 9 and 10% and all new trucks are like this
If you do not drive around on flat roads or warm up 5 mins
the computer adds fuel to try to reach its magic state when it should not add fuel when you do not
want it to
In an earlier post I stated the general manager tried his truck with 392 gears in second gear and
it run up to the rev limiter is completely wrong
Yet this same truck after running a short time can go down the hill in fourth gear no brakes
FCA needs to get a message to get there head out of there a$$

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
bm02tj, as a test from your dash choose to view coolant temp, then wait for it to reach 141F. Once that happens take her straight to the downhill for a spin. Low idle mode will be enabled past 140F. Report what happens. Doesn’t have anything to do with running rich lol. She’s running in close loop mode literally 10 sec after a cold start unless you’re living in Alaska during the winter.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually, let me correct myself we will be in CL while we are in part throttle., idle after 10 sec starts; etc. OL is achieved at WOT but also during deceleration routines, DFCO is enabled in OL while on decel as well. so We should peg a wb on the lean side when dfco is enabled. To know if the pcm is commanding extra fuel or not before xx ECT I’ll need a wb to validate. I’ll check the calibration as well and see if I can spot FA adders/multipliers and see what relate to it.

It’ll be easier to pin point the specifics if I had a 10% grade close to me :)

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As posted it is 9 and 10% and all new trucks are like this
If you do not drive around on flat roads or warm up 5 mins
the computer adds fuel to try to reach its magic state when it should not add fuel when you do not
want it to
In an earlier post I stated the general manager tried his truck with 392 gears in second gear and
it run up to the rev limiter is completely wrong
Yet this same truck after running a short time can go down the hill in fourth gear no brakes
FCA needs to get a message to get there head out of there a$$

What are you doing when you put the shifter in 2nd gear, foot off the gas completely gauging if 2nd gear can hold the truck up to certain speed? or using cruise control (per another thread of yours explaining the same/similar issue) to try to hold the truck at a certain speed? Be specific and document all details you can

can you take a video documenting the event using 2nd gear cold then hot?

you can use all this to make the case either way if you really want ant to put the time.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Let it go!
Just tap on the brakes a couple times when the truck is cold.
If doing that is such a problem, then there’s a bigger, deeper issue. And it doesn’t have to do with the truck or FCA.

OP
OP
B

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The problem is the truck should not be in charge
When it over drives what you want it is unacceptable
I did not ask for back seat drivers for comment just people that
drive properly and use gears and try it with a warm engine and one just started
report the change and complain for me
Thanks

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The problem is the truck should not be in charge
When it over drives what you want it is unacceptable
I did not ask for back seat drivers for comment just people that
drive properly and use gears and try it with a warm engine and one just started
report the change and complain for me
Thanks
Yes, we all understand what the “problem” is. The behavior you are experiencing will be the exact same thing everybody else will experience if they try it. Complaining to FCA will do nothing. Zero. It is programmed that way for a reason, and FCA is not going to change it- period.
The question is, why not just let the truck warm up for a minute before you take off?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you think this is bad, you should try my 18 Pacifica going down a hill with the cruise on - hot or cold.
It will downshift, send the rpms up, accelerate 10 mph+ above set point and then and only then try to slow down using the motor.
At least my 16 Ram doesn't do any of the above, I live on top of a hill and never notice any issue with the Ram going down - cold or hot. Put it in drive and just coast, tap the brakes to keep the speed under 35 mph (25 limit) and it downshifts and slows down and cruises the rest of the way in the lower gear with no issue.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
And what about the guy who has to go uphill from home or work. Or the guy that goes out the flat.

Then they will be all wadded up. Along with the EPA who the program is for.

If letting the truck warm up works, or using a different gear, then I am not seeing the issue.

My original brake pads had 121488.9 miles on them when I changed them in August. I do not think using your brakes for a hill will cause you issues.

And why not 1st gear to go down the hill?

Very confused how this is something FCA screwed up or needs to fix.